Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Young Exotic Swordtail Fry FREE to good home

More
23 Jan 2008 22:01 - 06 Feb 2008 15:56 #1 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hello everyone!!

I have a BUNCH of healthy (have never come down with the winter flu like the rest of us!!) swordtails that I am wanting to get rid of. I will accept all major credit cards or wads of cash!! :laugh:

In all honesty, I will sell them for a descent price. I believe they are sold for about 2.50 in the shops??? I'd be willing to sell for less than this! :)

If nobody bites at this hook...then I'll have to turn to the fish shops and to be honest I'd rather give them for free to someone on here before I do that.

Some are yellow with long flowing fins,with a black mouth and mottled backs. Their fins are black with streaks of yellow. Other swordtails (same dad but different mother) are orange with long flowing fins and are truely amazing to look at. These are my pride and joy and I have not lost even ONE of these fry...and there are more on the way from mammy. If you want to get your hands on these fish soon...you may get lucky and get to pick up a pregnant fish...so you get 20 of your own fry!! :)

Drop me a line on the forum...I cant seem to find my previous post on this topic so if I missed it sorry! :)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2008 15:56 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2008 22:08 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Young Exotic Swordtail Fry/fishies for sale
Hi Scorphonic !

Would you happen to have any pictures ?
Where abouts are you based ?

Thanks.
Valerie

More
24 Jan 2008 01:42 - 25 Jan 2008 00:16 #3 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hi Valerie, I do have some images that I can upload...mind you they're not great! I'm based in Dunshaughlin, County Meath...not too far from Ratoath, Navan, Ashbourne and Blanchardstown shopping centre!

I'll get those images uploaded tomorrow when I get the chance! :)

This is the mother who sadly passed away only yesterday.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2008 00:16 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
25 Jan 2008 00:16 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2008 00:17 #5 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Fry Group. Maybe not so \"fryish any longer!!!\"
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2008 00:18 #6 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2008 00:19 - 25 Jan 2008 00:20 #7 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
This Orange fish is from the other Orange swordtail mother that I have. As you may notice the same characteristics are seen in this fish as in the others...thanks to daddy who has an amazing sword and streaks down his body! :)

Dont mind the algae..its an ongoing problem...trying to balance enough light for the live plants versus getting rid of the algae!! Nightmare!! Well at least the fry like to have a nibble!! :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2008 00:20 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
25 Jan 2008 00:22 #8 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
This is an amazing shot of my \"mini me\" of the daddy!!! :) The dad looks like this fella but the fins come from mammy. The mother to this fish is actually the same one that gave birth to the orange one above. Amazing result! :)
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2008 00:24 - 25 Jan 2008 00:27 #9 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Once I reduce the number of fry I have in this tank I'll begin to breed my tiger barbs. The barbs are currently in the 180L while these little fish are in my 90L.

(Thanks didihno! :)...the barbs are going strong!! And STILL eating like horses!!!)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2008 00:27 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2008 11:24 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Young Exotic Swordtail Fry/fishies for sale
Wow, those Barbs are tough little guys!
At least three of those biggest ones survived my first tank crash and ammonia overload. (beginner error)

More
26 Jan 2008 16:55 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Nice looking fish scorphonic
Best of luck with them

More
06 Feb 2008 15:53 #12 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Nice looking fish scorphonic
Best of luck with them

Thanks limerickbandit! :)

The fish are still available...and their numbers are not deminishing!!! more fry are now in the tank so getting rid of these older fish is of the upmost importance for me!

Would these fish interest anyone? Free to a good home at this stage! :)

More
06 Feb 2008 17:54 #13 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi scorphonic,

I would love to take a few off you but unfortunately Cath is still recover from a operation at the moment and i don't drive.

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
06 Feb 2008 21:03 - 06 Feb 2008 21:06 #14 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hay Mickey,

where exactly are you based? (i see your in Leinster)..i'm in Dunshaughlin, County Meath. (most weekends!! :))

If your not too far away I can drop some fine specimins up to you.

EDIT: Your in Louth...maybe thats a bit far to be bringing fish on a motorbike!! :)

sure when Cath is fighting fit again give me a shout, no doubt i'll still have loads of fish!! :)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2008 21:06 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
06 Feb 2008 21:19 #15 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Will do cheers Mate

More
06 Feb 2008 21:48 #16 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
I'd love to get a few. Have just made a guard for my tank as 3 of my 6 swords jumped out last night. I noticed 2 but unfortunately the 3rd was already dead :(

I have about 12 Fry myself (2x 3 week old) & (10x 2 day old). Not as many got eaten this time as i'm adding plants all the time.

I'm in Athboy Co Meath so I can make the trip whenever suits.

Thanks,
Paul

More
07 Feb 2008 00:39 #17 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Nice one! :) I have about 10 large fish now, 20 older fry, and maybe 20 or 30 fry. I never can tell really, there are just so many in the tank moving that I cant count them and the plant I have holds a massive number of newborn fry that I dont actually see for some time! :)

I'll get onto my dad who is at home with the fish in Meath (I am in 4th level Uni here in Belfast so i wont be home until the 16th Feb)...I can get him to organise it with you. I'll keep you posted.

More
07 Feb 2008 09:25 #18 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Quick question: What are you feeding your adult swordtails?

I'm feeding the fry baby brine shrimp. The adults eat this too. I also feed them adult brine shrimp. The adults aren't interested in the flake food. Is there something i should do? Change brands or add something to the flake?

More
07 Feb 2008 14:11 #19 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
have you tried to brake up the flake. also there is flake and there is flake.... i would add a miss day then only offer flake it may well be you just have swordtails with expensive taste. if you are using frozen mix the flake into shrimp when it soft allow to stand for 30-60minutes add very little at first slowly increase. i found that one or other works

More
09 Feb 2008 13:14 - 09 Feb 2008 13:16 #20 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Well for the fry I use a mixture depending on how old they are.

for the babies i'll feed them liquifry, brine shrimp and finely crushed mixture of flake food, algae flake food and sinking pellets (all ground down to a powder). The fry also live inside a plant that I have and i have seem them feeding from the plant too, whether there are infusoria living there or they are eating trapped food I dont know but they all survive and i've yet to find a dead fry in my tank!

For the older fry and adult swords i'll give them the same flake food that the fry get (just not powdered!), and i'll also give them some artemia and blood worms (they LOVE the worms!!). I recently bought frozen Krill in AV and they have taking a liking to these too.

I wouldn't worry about these fish not eating..they are horses! :)

If you find your fish dont eat the flake food try different brands and different types of food, try varying their diet too...with live food and flake food. Should work.

O and I got your PM, i'll pass on your details to my dad.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2008 13:16 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
12 Feb 2008 00:10 #21 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hay Paul,

Just sent your number to dad, he should call you soon enough! :)

More
12 Feb 2008 00:15 #22 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
excellent. A bit of genetic diversity will do mine good. They breed like rabbits. I'm going to invest in a rekord 70 just for fry. We'll have everyone on here with tanks full of swords soon enough. I have mine free swimming and 13 of the new batch are now 1 week old, not one has been eaten since day 1.

More
12 Feb 2008 01:41 #23 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
that nice to hear it is always handy to know where to get new genes.
have to say and this is only a personal thing i would not use the 70 the sixty is better on the grounds of hight it reduce the hight between shelfs thus more tanks!

But an interesting note i read somewhere male swords have a hierarchy, to get the best sword try moving them around if you can (seperate/different tanks)don't allow them to form groups

More
17 Feb 2008 17:28 #24 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Thank you paulbohs, hope the fish you got today will thrive with your other swordtails! :)

For those of you who have yet to see this page, i still have plenty of fish to give away. when paulbohs was here i was shocked myself at the number of fry hiding in the plant in my tank! :) So if anyone else needs or wants some nice fish...give me a PM.

No doubt I'll have a few more big fish in a few weeks. I'll be trying to breed tiger barbs soon enough so i hope to be able to get these on here for sale!! :)

More
19 Mar 2008 13:49 #25 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Ok everyone, if you are interested in getting some of these fry for nothing, let me know, i have loads again and need to make room! :)

More
19 Mar 2008 20:58 #26 by nonie (leonie troy)
Hi I am interested where are you based?

More
20 Mar 2008 01:11 #27 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hi nonie, i'm in Dunshaughlin, County Meath.

More
15 May 2008 23:53 #28 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Loads and loads of fry in this tank again....if you want some for nothing...drop me a line! :)

More
10 Jul 2008 01:49 #29 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)

More
21 Aug 2008 18:42 - 21 Aug 2008 18:42 #30 by steo_84 (stephen wyse)
Do you still have any sword tails scorphonic ???
Last edit: 21 Aug 2008 18:42 by steo_84 (stephen wyse).

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds