Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Discus Beef Heart recipe

More
06 Mar 2015 20:07 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi i've decided to give DIY Beef heart a go since i realised how cheap it would be to make a load of it,and i was wondering if people would have opinions and alternatives on what to add to the mix......Here is what i have in mind so far:

1 nice sized cows heart,trimmed,diced and minced to a paste.

12-14 large prawns,minced to a paste.

1 large carrot and 3 broccoli stems,trimmed,sliced,cooked,cooled and minced to a paste.

3-4 large handfuls of spinach,blanched,cooled and minced to a paste with 3 cloves of garlic.

Some fish flake food (not sure yet).

Paprika (not sure of amount yet)

And vitamins......Was thinking of the powdered multi-vitamins sachets you can get in most pharmacies and the like but would like to hear opinions on this,and alternatives would be great.

Any opinions/help much appreciated.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2015 20:37 #2 by trent (trent)
im a big beleiver in garlic also which i leave over night in boiled water. i talked to adrian a little while ago and he suggested centrum which i put in also. i used papria also which can be swithched for chrophlli pink ( if you dont keep gold or yellow discus). i also used geletine but doesnt have to be used i think if you use enough prawns or can be substituded with agar. also i used mussels insted if prawns, although i think prawn probably would have binded it better

More
06 Mar 2015 20:42 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi Ger ,
It was something I was half thinking of myself. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you, I know Miamiheat makes his own so he'll have a few ideas. Check out this guy on youtube

Eric

More
06 Mar 2015 20:50 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Spirulina is what people name "super food", the list of its benefits is endless, I buy mine in the powder form.
Kale is great as well and easy to grow.

Anthony

More
06 Mar 2015 21:24 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

im a big beleiver in garlic also which i leave over night in boiled water. i talked to adrian a little while ago and he suggested centrum which i put in also. i used papria also which can be swithched for chrophlli pink ( if you dont keep gold or yellow discus). i also used geletine but doesnt have to be used i think if you use enough prawns or can be substituded with agar. also i used mussels insted if prawns, although i think prawn probably would have binded it better

Ahhh Centrum,that's the one :)........i'm gonna wait until it's all done and then decide if it needs a something to stiffen it up.......what i have done already is very wet/sloppy so it probably will need gelatine or the like.

Did you spell 'chrophlli pink' right? google search got me nothing.

Cheers

More
06 Mar 2015 21:27 #6 by trent (trent)
ya i did spell it wrong il try and find right spelling now, it basically a colour enhacer which they use to make salmon red

More
06 Mar 2015 21:34 - 06 Mar 2015 22:21 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger ,
It was something I was half thinking of myself. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you, I know Miamiheat makes his own so he'll have a few ideas. Check out this guy on youtube

Eric

Cheers dude.......i like his no talking illustration :).......hmmmm that was some bowl of pills,but by the way be was gonna go to war on three of them with a mallet he'll never be a drug lord!! ha

Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 22:21 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
06 Mar 2015 21:37 #8 by trent (trent)
its called carophyll pink

More
06 Mar 2015 21:37 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)

Spirulina is what people name "super food", the list of its benefits is endless, I buy mine in the powder form.
Kale is great as well and easy to grow.

Anthony

Thanks man.......Spirulina was on my mind but i was thinking of the fish food i have that's high in it.....ehhh just buy it doh!!!

Now Kale that's a great shout dude :) i would of never thought of that so cheers :)

More
06 Mar 2015 21:40 #10 by ger310 (Ger .)

its called carophyll pink

Cheers for that :)......i'll have a good look at that a little later

Thanks

More
06 Mar 2015 21:42 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
I cant add Photo's but here's a quick video of were i'm at now:

More
06 Mar 2015 21:50 #12 by trent (trent)
looks better than mine anyways, mine turned brown due to musscles

More
06 Mar 2015 21:53 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)

looks better than mine anyways, mine turned brown due to musscles

It's not finished yet ha

More
06 Mar 2015 21:54 #14 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
i add different fish flakes including spirulina, centrum, fish oil sometimes, and i prefer to use salmon than prawns=> regardless how much you mince the prawns there are always bit that the fish cant eat and they end up in tank.

More
06 Mar 2015 21:59 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

More
06 Mar 2015 22:01 #16 by ger310 (Ger .)

i add different fish flakes including spirulina, centrum, fish oil sometimes, and i prefer to use salmon than prawns=> regardless how much you mince the prawns there are always bit that the fish cant eat and they end up in tank.

Cheers for that.........i was thinking that might be the case with the prawns but i rubbed a lot of it through my fingers after i blitzed it and it seemed smooth........hmmm when i'm watching bits of prawn froating around the tank fecking up the water i'll reckon there might be a rethink!!

More
06 Mar 2015 22:02 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
wow.... you could eat that with...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2015 22:07 #18 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

lol

More
06 Mar 2015 22:10 - 06 Mar 2015 22:11 #19 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
u need some guinness for every spoon added u need to drink one can yourself it looks better as you go along cook for 20 min and serve with chips
:laugh:

Can this be used to feed other fish or it just for discus ?

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 22:11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

More
06 Mar 2015 22:13 #20 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ha :)...That's gas :)

More
06 Mar 2015 22:14 #21 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
all fish can benefit from it but it does mess your water so it's usually used only for discus because they tend to get more water changes

More
06 Mar 2015 22:15 #22 by ger310 (Ger .)

u need some guinness for every spoon added u need to drink one can yourself it looks better as you go along cook for 20 min and serve with chips
:laugh:

Can this be used to feed other fish or it just for discus ?

i'm liken that "add guinness" suggestion dude........serve with chips aint bad either :)

More
06 Mar 2015 22:29 #23 by ger310 (Ger .)
I was also wondering what would be the best way to store it in the freezer...........ice cube trays is what i was thinking?

More
06 Mar 2015 22:32 #24 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
flat in ziplock bags, i let them get a little hard in the freezer and then i create slots with the back of a knife or ruler (like that when it hardens you can snap off small squares easily) easier to do than describe...

More
06 Mar 2015 22:35 #25 by ger310 (Ger .)

flat in ziplock bags, i let them get a little hard in the freezer and then i create slots with the back of a knife or ruler (like that when it hardens you can snap off small squares easily) easier to do than describe...

no no that seems very straightforward thanks.........and a lot less room in the freezer taken up :)...perfect

More
07 Mar 2015 10:35 #26 by trent (trent)
i just tried putting banana in beef heart and it seems to bind it really well but i havent tried it on the fish yet

More
07 Mar 2015 12:07 #27 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Looks good ger,
Nearly would have a go at that myself :)
Are you gonna get discus?
Or could it be used for other fish?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
07 Mar 2015 17:34 #28 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Looks good ger,

All my angels and corrys and guppies and plecos were eating it. Only issue is your water getting dirtier than with flakes. one way to deal with it is to feed it the day you plan a water change.

More
07 Mar 2015 22:05 #29 by ger310 (Ger .)

i just tried putting banana in beef heart and it seems to bind it really well but i havent tried it on the fish yet

Hmmm interesting.......let me know how yeh got on

More
07 Mar 2015 22:20 #30 by ger310 (Ger .)

Looks good ger,

All my angels and corrys and guppies and plecos were eating it. Only issue is your water getting dirtier than with flakes. one way to deal with it is to feed it the day you plan a water change.

As Miami says it's good for lots but obviously would not be too healthy for some,especially if using it a lot (Tropheus and Mbuna spring to mind!!).......i always have the frozen shop Beef heart in the freezer and would pop it into tanks along with one or two cubes of whatever else is in there every so often............When i realised how cheap this could be to make i had to give it a go,especially now i am going Discus (have to keep these to see what all the fuss is about!!)

Ger

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds