Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Super Simple Brineshrimp Hatchery

More
17 May 2010 19:49 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Most folks breeding Tropical Fish have, at one stage used brineshrimp on a daily basis to rear batches of fry. Each individual has his or her own methods and receptacles for going about this.
The receptacles used can either be from a commercial source or made in the home by the hobbyist.

There here follows a small pictorial piece on how I personally go about making my Brineshrimp hatcheries.
The best receptacle I have found to date for making such a hatchery is a Sainsburys concentrated fruit juice bottle. It has a very long neck, which is ideally suited for funnelling the shrimp out for feeding.

The items I use for making this item are as follows;

An empty Sainsburys High Juice bottle
A small hobby Knife
A marker Pen
Silicone Sealant
A length of airline
An Algarde straight airline connector
An Algarde airline clamp
Drill with a 7mm Bit

First, I need to remove the label and give the bottle a thorough wash.
Then with a pen I mark out a rectangular section of around 75mm x 25mm

With the hobby Knife I now set about cutting this section out and discard the off-cut.

The next job in hand was to drill a 7mm hole in the base of the bottle and the same in the centre of the cap.

An Algarde straight airline connector was then placed through the hole in the cap and sealed into position using everyday aquarium silicone sealant

Once the silicone cured I screwed the cap back onto the bottle and finished off the drain assembly, namely I added a short length of airline to the connector and attached the clamp. A longer length of airline was fed into the bottle all the way down to the neck area, the other end was then attached to the air-pump.

If you are wanting to make a similar unit like this, you now have two choices on how to hang it. You can either drill holes with a pad saw in a shelf and set up the hatchery/s as I have done

or
Drill a couple of holes, one either side of the bottle's upturned base and thread some string through. You can now hang this from a hook as seen in the smaller prototype version below.

To harvest the shrimp I place a jam pot or similar with a cotton handkerchief draped over the top beneath the drain assembly. I turn off the air supply and let the contents settle. The majority of the newly hatched shrimp will make their way into down into the neck area, where its simply a matter of opening and closing the clamp for the amount of nauplii you require. I then flush this with freshwater and dip the handkerchief into the fry tubs.

I hope you have enjoyed this little pictorial account of how to make a simple brineshrimp hatchery for little or no outlay.
Admittedly the above account is aimed more at the novice fish breeding enthusiast rather than the professional but I hope there is something in it for everyone

Regards
C

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2010 19:58 #2 by dar (darren curry)
could i use any bottle? as a trip to sainsburys will cost me a bomb in petrol

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
17 May 2010 20:03 - 17 May 2010 20:05 #3 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
good stuff
handy way of doing it,u explained it well
rgds
Last edit: 17 May 2010 20:05 by mossy (gavin blanchfield). Reason: wrong spelling

More
17 May 2010 22:19 #4 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Very clever thanks for the hints and tips-
Denis

More
17 May 2010 22:20 #5 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

could i use any bottle? as a trip to sainsburys will cost me a bomb in petrol

LOL
Any bottle will do but one with a longer neck I found to be better
Regards
C

More
17 May 2010 22:25 #6 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
dont use a flagon of cider
there would be a smell of apples off the shrimp;)

More
18 May 2010 23:04 #7 by joey (joe watson)
what temp do you hatch them at and do you need a light?

i tried hatching them in something similar onlt i didn't drill holes in the bottom just weighed an air stone down into the neck. you idea is better as draining is very easy and probably the best thought out way as far as being very user friendly. well done i will try this way when i get hold of some silicone just wondering if you could post up details of salt:water ratio, what salt and lighting/heating and airflow details for the best yield (not even half of mine hatched but the bottle was sat in the sump in the dark

More
19 May 2010 09:33 #8 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Great tips there mate, thanks for this.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
19 May 2010 17:10 - 19 May 2010 17:14 #9 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

What temp do you hatch them at and do you need a light?

First up you need 4 requisites for hatching brineshrimp cysts.

1. Air; for water agitation (the cysts need to be suspended)
2. Saline solution; (I personally use about 6 large teaspoons of Cooking Salt not Table Salt to a litre of tap water). If your tap water has a low pH the add a small amount of Bicarbonate of Soda to bring it to about 8. With the use of a refractometer I keep adding enough salt and to bring the Specific Gravity to 1.026 (You dont really need to get this technical though)
3. Light; Light is needed to trigger the hatching mechanism.
4. Heat; Brineshrimp need a pretty high temp if you wish them to hatch quickly 78'F will hatch you a batch in under 24 hrs depending on species.
I have a live food cupboard into which I have fitted a light bulb, its a 15w Daylight spectrum energy saver mini twist 6500K this is left on 24/7 and provides both heat and light not only to hatch my brineshrimp but also to culture green water for my Daphnia, ideal heated conditions to culture Paramoecium, Microworm, Bananaworm, Fruitfly and Grindalworm.
I hope that was of some help
Regards
C
Last edit: 19 May 2010 17:14 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
19 May 2010 17:56 #10 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi C,
thanks for sharing you should write a book on all these io for one would be very interested in getting hold of this

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
19 May 2010 23:22 #11 by JohnH (John)
A quick question:
Did you buy that light bulb 'up North'? - I've been looking out for these for literally ages.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 May 2010 23:52 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi John
i am not sure but may have seen them in B&Q have a look at www.diy.com there is a store in tallaght i think.

the other place might be in a reptile section of pet shops. but i am proply mixing my lights up!!!

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
20 May 2010 00:50 - 20 May 2010 00:52 #13 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Hi John,
I tried sourcing them locally, I searched everywhere including all the major DIY establishments but all they had was warm white.
I eventually got them over the Internet from BLT Direct
www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=1856&...aylight+Mini+Spirals
Very prompt transaction and return.
Regards
C
Last edit: 20 May 2010 00:52 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
20 May 2010 01:00 - 20 May 2010 01:02 #14 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

Hi C,
thanks for sharing you should write a book on all these io for one would be very interested in getting hold of this

:laugh: It's been mentioned before Mickey.
I may consider a little .pdf E-Book at some stage.
Thanks for looking
Regards
C
Last edit: 20 May 2010 01:02 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
20 May 2010 01:04 #15 by JohnH (John)

I tried sourcing them locally, I searched everywhere including all the major DIY establishments but all they had was warm white.

Yes,
That was what I found down here also, no daylights - only warm whites.
Thanks for the link, I'll look them up in the morning.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds