Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My latest planted tank - Updated 22.07.08

More
14 Jul 2008 16:00 - 22 Jul 2008 08:26 #1 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
So, finally I got to start my 'temporary' 3 foot tank at my new address in the west. This was supposed to be a holding tank for my fish for a few months until I get to set up the 5 foot tank in the living room.

I think this tank may be a little more permanent than that, somehow.

Anyway, what do you think?

I liked the red moor wood but no sooner had I filled the tank than it decided to float. :angry: I think, on balance, that the tank looks better with one type of wood.

Shiny new Eheim 2026, very kindly seeded by Peter in Aquapaws, fair play to him.

I finally settled on this. It needs tonnes more plants, particularily some big ferns midway up the tank to shade the crypts low down. A hairgrass/E. Tennellus carpet, maybe?
The E. Stellata isn't too healthy at the moment but I think it'll live. Loads more crypts to come and more mosses.
CO2 is steady at just slightly into yellow on the drop-checker. I'll leave it at that level until i'm ready to add fish. I'm dosing trace as API Leafzone for the week.

Finger crossed. All advice or comments on the layout are welcome.

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting
Last edit: 22 Jul 2008 08:26 by AndyT (Andy Taylor).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2008 18:39 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Looks great Andy. I hope it is permanent, but still go ahead with the big one too :-)

More
14 Jul 2008 19:05 #3 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
very nice andy,keep up the good work

Paul

More
14 Jul 2008 19:16 - 14 Jul 2008 19:19 #4 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
I love the rocks, where did you get these?

the tank looks fintastic
Last edit: 14 Jul 2008 19:19 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson).

More
14 Jul 2008 22:05 #5 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Looks great Andy, fair play. It also looks very very permanent to me. I like to contrast of the wood against the rounded rock. Any other comments I'd have on the layout are good, but you know yourself, there'll be many subtle, or not so subtle changes over the next few weeks. Looking forward to see it progress.

Oh yeah, I also like the luminaire :)

More
14 Jul 2008 22:22 #6 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Thanks guys.

The rocks are from the Atlantic shore in Blackrock, Galway. Half an hours work on Saturday morning.
I think they contrast really well with the wood too. I wanted to bring some of the local landscape inside!

More
14 Jul 2008 23:14 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Nice work Andy. I think the E Tennellus would be a nice touch.
You must keep us posted how you get on with it.

P.S. good luck in Galway.

Darren.

More
15 Jul 2008 09:37 #8 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
It does look very nice and has some great kit in it, I love the sand bed running through, well done, I think this one will be a keeper to!

More
15 Jul 2008 09:39 #9 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
Where is the Atlantic shore in Blackrock, Galway I wouldnt mind pick some of them up too fro mine

More
15 Jul 2008 09:51 #10 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
....If you walk the length of the Prom in Salthill and walk down towards the diving boards, there's a beach on the right-hand side of the boards.. (the west side). All the round stones you could want.. :)

More
15 Jul 2008 19:17 #11 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
Sweet, will head down there on Sat, did you give them a good scrub before putting them in

More
15 Jul 2008 20:51 #12 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Well, I gave them a quick wash! The ocean is pretty clean! ;)

More
19 Jul 2008 12:43 #13 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
love the tank,well done,gonna try something like that myself,you'll have to keep updating the pics as it takes off,i'll try and get some rocks over the weekend and clear the cheap tacky s**t out of my tank

Paul

More
21 Jul 2008 11:16 #14 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Thanks Paul. I've actually got rid of all those rocks now and replaced them with smaller, darker ones. It looks much better now, imo.

I'll post some updated pics later.

More
22 Jul 2008 08:04 #15 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
One productive aquascaping weekend later...

I replaced all of them with smaller, darker ones. I think it looks much better.
The Limnophilia is way too stemmy so I trimmed it way back after i took the shot. I'm not sure I like it so I may replace it with a Rotala of some kind. (suggestions?)
There's one stem of E. Stellata and a tiny bit of Downii planted in front, hopefully they'll take off. I plan to use the Downii for a carpet on the left side.
I like the E. Tennellus but I think I need a mid-ground plant between it and the bogwood. Blyxa maybe? and move the long stems to behind the hardscape?

What do you think?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2008 08:12 - 22 Jul 2008 17:22 #16 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:My latest planted tank
Hi Andy,

This tank looks fantastic ! B)

Maybe one of the thicker plants beside the bog wood would be better on the right hand side. The left hand-side looks a little heavier compared to the right hand-side. Mind you, with time and CO2, I am sure it'll even out !... :-)

Well done ! :-)

Valerie
Last edit: 22 Jul 2008 17:22 by Valerie (Valerie). Reason: not a tick but 'thick' ! :-)

More
22 Jul 2008 08:48 #17 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
only one word to describe that...WOW,well done

Paul

More
22 Jul 2008 17:15 #18 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
very nice

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
22 Jul 2008 19:02 #19 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Great scape! Looking forward to seeing it grow out. Make sure to keep us posted with updated pictures.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
22 Jul 2008 19:42 #20 by goldy (goldy .)
The tank looks really really good. when I started to read the post and saw the first picture I thought it was stunning and then reading down and seeing that you changed it a bit and took out the lighter colour rocks I kind of thought oh no it wont look as good but I have to say it looks much better all right. Its funny how these temporary setups have a habit of growing into permanent ones isnt it.

Anyway looking forward to seeing your progress it really is a lovely setup. Well done.

Nessa

More
22 Jul 2008 22:17 #21 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Keeps getting better. It's always the way, little changes just make it. Then another little change... then another. Looks great. Keep it up.

More
29 Jul 2008 15:17 #22 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Ok, so the tank has been up for nearly 4 weeks now so I decided it was safe to add the cleanup crew. 10 Amano Shrimp and 14 Ottos from the local lads in AquaPaws, Galway...... and a small shoal of Harlquins for colour.

Started dosing dry ferts 10 days ago, a teaspoon of each seems to be enough for the moment.
Growth has improved, particularily the lily which is putting on 8 inches a week. The limnophilia has recovered it's vibrant green and will be kept.
I'm seeing small amounts of BBA which I think may have been imported from my other tank (despite my best efforts) :oops: .
I'm overdosing EXcel and crossing fingers.
Some of the crypts are melting slightly too but they should be ok in time.
The E. Stellata in the foreground has recovered now and seems to be starting to put on new growth. Not so the Downii but time will tell, I suppose.

I have Blyxa on the way courtesy of one of the posters on UKAPS to fill out the space between the E. Tennellus and the bogwood behind. I removed the Hortwort as it didn't really suit the layout.

Any suggestions for a suitable tall background plant to fill in behind the Java Ferns?

More
29 Jul 2008 15:45 - 29 Jul 2008 15:47 #23 by adamireland (Adam Jackson)
looking really good.. well done..
Last edit: 29 Jul 2008 15:47 by adamireland (Adam Jackson).

More
30 Jul 2008 12:23 #24 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
getting better by the day,well done

Paul

More
30 Jul 2008 19:41 #25 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Coming on really nicely and looking really good. Fingers crossed the BBA is kept at bay.

More
30 Jul 2008 20:43 #26 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
very nice!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
30 Jul 2008 21:07 #27 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The tank is coming on realy well Andy.B)
Just one thing when you say your \"overdosing EXcel\" for the BBA.
Did you mean you were using easycarbo to kill the BBA? This needs to be injected into the algae for a couple of days but dont go over the recommended dose for the size of the tank.
It dose work but if the algae keeps coming back there is a problem somewhere.

Darren.

More
30 Jul 2008 21:16 #28 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
wish i had the time to do that but just thinking bout the up keep and cleaning but it looks very well 10/10 andy

More
30 Jul 2008 23:46 #29 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
platty252 wrote:

Just one thing when you say your \"overdosing EXcel\" for the BBA.
Did you mean you were using easycarbo to kill the BBA? This needs to be injected into the algae for a couple of days but dont go over the recommended dose for the size of the tank.
It dose work but if the algae keeps coming back there is a problem somewhere.

Darren.

Yeah, sorry. I put that badly. Before the fish went in I was overdosing with Flourish Excel. Now i'm injecting it directly on to the Algae. My problem is CO2 related, my dropchecker is lying to me! I've upped the CO2 and I'm adding more flow this weekend to get better distribution.

I'll kill it, don't worry! :)

More
01 Aug 2008 11:17 #30 by zig (zig)
Really nice job Andy the tank looks great.

BBA is a curse, an algae I always seem to have somewhere despite best efforts, not major amounts but its always lurking somewhere. Deal with it as soon as you see it is best policy. I never found OD'ing the whole tank was effective, the spot treatment method is much better where you squirt the excel directly on the algae.

This new method of 10x massive overfiltration does not help matters either, one thing bba thrives on is good flow.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds