Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Overhead sump

More
02 Nov 2014 18:45 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The idea from this comes from UaruJoey on YouTube. I was inspired to eventually try this after seeing Stephane's (Miamiheat) overhead system up and running on one of his discus tanks and it seemed such a cool, simple design that there really was no reason NOT to try it!

Instead of using an air uplift system, I decided to utilise an old Juwel 600 pump I had lying around. That pumps into a plastic window-box type planter sitting on top of the tank with a tray of filter floss and then other assorted media. The water simply overflows out the other end of the planter and back into the tank. I've planted some Pothos plants in the media as well, to help reduce nitrates etc.

I've had it running for about 2 weeks now and I'm happy with the results, although I would rather have placed the pump much lower in the tank. The slate stuck to the back made that impossible however. The plant went in a week ago and has already shown considerable growth and I'm going to add another later.

I've built another overhead system for my hillstream tank and I'll be starting that up later this evening, so I'll post a video of that too. I think I designed that one a little better.

Thanks again to Stephane for talking me through his DIY system :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2014 20:03 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Great idea
Been looking at a fee of these systems the last while!
Have you got the planter chambered off?

More
02 Nov 2014 20:57 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Great idea
Been looking at a fee of these systems the last while!
Have you got the planter chambered off?

Thanks. I didn't chamber anything off in this one. Most of the media is in net bags and the plants are in pots that I've perforated with a soldering iron and filled with more media, no soil. In the one for the hillstream tank I've made one chamber out of an old Juwel filter housing but it's a much smaller. I'm thinking of building another one for my Trigon190.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Nov 2014 21:17 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
It was for my trigon 190 i was thinking too!
Trying to free up a bit more storage space as its in the kitchen/dining room and a bit more plant life in there might be a benefit too!!!

More
02 Nov 2014 21:29 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

It was for my trigon 190 i was thinking too!
Trying to free up a bit more storage space as its in the kitchen/dining room and a bit more plant life in there might be a benefit too!!!

Give it a shot. It's a very easy system to construct and set up and costs next to nothing. I think the planter and plumping came to less than 15 yoyos, the media I already had and the powerhead too.

More
02 Nov 2014 23:30 - 02 Nov 2014 23:31 #6 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
I have preferred the airlift tubing for a very simple reason: the pvc pipe is open at the bottom and allows all gunk to come up and gets deposited on the floss with no obstacles. A pump would limit the size of bits and pieces that could go through its intake and in case of food or fecies it would break them down whereas the airlift just picks up most of the stuff. The effectiveness of my system is increased by the fact that i use a bare bottom tank and that i have placed a submersible pump that is on 15 minutes every 2 hours: that basically pushes all that gunk to the corner where the airlift tube is and consequently i rarely have to syphon.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2014 23:31 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire).

More
03 Nov 2014 00:10 #7 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
sure enough i found my female apistograma in the sump: it must have happened when i removed the tray containing the filter floss.
File Attachment:

More
03 Nov 2014 11:03 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Overhead sump
Very clever and simple system. Using a sump adds water volume to any tank, and as ive found out can be used for shy feeding fish until they get more confident.

More
03 Nov 2014 12:21 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I considered the air uplift but space and the predations of a toddler made me opt for the pump... plus the fact that the tanks I'll have them on are all stocked pretty low and with smaller fish. The pothos plant is growing like mad so hopefully that indicates something positive.

More
03 Nov 2014 12:28 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Very clever and simple system. Using a sump adds water volume to any tank, and as ive found out can be used for shy feeding fish until they get more confident.

I actually feed my blind cave fish through the overhead sump now. I drop the pellets into the sump and they flow out through the overflow. It's amazing to watch because the tetras get no prior warning like the sound of the lid opening... yet within 2-3 seconds of the food entering the tank, they go into a feeding frenzy.

More
03 Nov 2014 12:54 #11 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ill have to experiment now....

What way do you work the water changes and hoovering the tank? do you remove the sump completely?
I think Ill use the pump from my API Nexx instead of buying something new (just cause I have it already)
I also have a small glass tank not being used that would probably be perfect as long as I can drill the glass without shattering it or cracking it......

in reality I should only have to buy a couple of connectors to get it up and running

Its an interesting project to keep me occupied on nights with crappy weather

Neil

More
03 Nov 2014 13:20 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I do water changes etc as usual. The cave tetras are pretty clean. Haven't done any water changes on the hillstream tank but the strong flow keeps any debris down near the filter outlets.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:22 #13 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Just to illustrate the thread (never got around to do it ) here are a few pics of the sump i setup:

In this picture you wee it is a plastic planter that runs about 1/2 the length of my 450L. Since it is narrow and is at the back it does not compromise my access to the tank. Only thing i did was to drill a hole and silicones a piece of PVC pipe for the return to the tank. The rest was filling it with biomedia and plants (you can see the growth and these were all small cuttings).

File Attachment:

More
03 Nov 2014 13:25 #14 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

you can see how black the floss its and that is 1/2 day's worth of gunk (we overfeed and its beef heart). I change the floss morning and evening.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:27 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Just to illustrate the thread (never got around to do it ) here are a few pics of the sump i setup:

In this picture you wee it is a plastic planter that runs about 1/2 the length of my 450L. Since it is narrow and is at the back it does not compromise my access to the tank. Only thing i did was to drill a hole and silicones a piece of PVC pipe for the return to the tank. The rest was filling it with biomedia and plants (you can see the growth and these were all small cuttings).

File Attachment:

No wonder it's called Devil's Ivy :evil:

More
03 Nov 2014 13:27 #16 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
not very good pic but you can see the pvc lift tube: I recon it will be fully green someday and will blend in perfectly in the tank.

File Attachment:

More
03 Nov 2014 13:38 #17 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Overhead sump
Nice read, I'd like to do a project like this. The missus has put a plant pot on top of 1 of my tanks so why not add a sump to it too!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
03 Nov 2014 13:54 #18 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Nice read, I'd like to do a project like this. The missus has put a plant pot on top of 1 of my tanks so why not add a sump to it too!

As a system it has many advantages; good aeration, nitrate removal, ease of maintenance, easily customisable... CHEAP :cool:

More
03 Nov 2014 14:05 #19 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Overhead sump
I think I could have everything I need lying around at home. Although I still have 5 tanks to fill so this will be added on to the list if I ever get around to actually starting it!

I'd say your chuffed with all the diy'ing your doing! It's something I always want to do but never get around to it.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
03 Nov 2014 14:26 #20 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
It keeps me off the streets... ;)

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds