Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

DIY CO2 (now running)

More
25 Feb 2015 12:21 - 03 Apr 2015 13:17 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi so here goes more questions.

I have started on a DIY CO2 system following the general 2 mix bottles a gas separator bottle and an air stone which will get replaced with a glass diffuser I think. There is obviously loads on line about this including an article here, I now know more about yeast than I ever thought I would.

So for a few questions to people here who use DIY CO2.

Is going for champagne yeast worth it for getting mixes to last longer?

Is silicone on lids ok or should I find the bulkhead thingies that are advised?

Do you divert the CO2 away from the tank at night or would putting my air pump on a timer to come on at lights out be a better option?

Do you sterilise bottles for the mix?

Before and after photos will be added at a later date.

Thx
Dec
Last edit: 03 Apr 2015 13:17 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2015 12:44 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm not sure about the champagne yeast, though I've heard many people recommend brewers yeast of some kind or another. What always helped mine last longer when I was using CO2 was molasses. It's a source of sugar and apparently also contains various trace minerals that help the yeast flourish a bit better.
In my experience the silicone always leaks, no matter how carefully you apply it. With the CO2 quite alot of pressure builds up, as you may find out if the system springs a leak and you're trying to get the beer smell out of the furniture :lol:. I'd use the bulkheads
I always had a good deal of surface agitation on my tanks so leaving the system running at night was not really an issue for me, especially if I turned down the CO2 output.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Feb 2015 14:54 #3 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I would be very careful messing with your air pump. As long as you have good surface agggitation and air pump is running with C02 then i would think as long as you are not over dosing you will be fine. Remember ph will drop if overdosed.

More
26 Feb 2015 09:38 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx lads

I have done the caps with tec 7 but I will try to find the bulkheads, can only see them in US site at the moment.

I have good surface agitation as have 2217 running with spray bar.

Was thinking of a T with an air flow adjuster valve for air stones coming off it so I can vent CO2 if required to release pressure or amount going to tank, do you think this will work?

I'm now thinking I should put the whole thing in a plastic box in case of failure. The mess and look on OH face probably makes this worth the effort.

Still need to get a few bits like check valves etc but hope to have this connected next week.

Thx
Dec

More
04 Mar 2015 12:55 - 04 Mar 2015 12:57 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So added the first bottle last night and seeing about 2 bubbles a minute from a single 2l bottle of mix. Planning to add the second bottle in a few days so I can alternate changes.

Mix is 2 cups cane sugar and half tsp bakers yeast, no Brewers yeast locally available.

Tank as of 02 Mar 2015

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 12:57 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
04 Mar 2015 13:01 - 04 Mar 2015 13:03 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
What method are you using to diffuse the CO2 into the tank?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 13:03 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
04 Mar 2015 14:31 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi LJ just air stone at the mo thinking of getting a ladder type diffuser I think a dennerle flipper

More
04 Mar 2015 14:43 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I have a JBL taifun type diffuser, cylindrical but operates the same way as the dennerle ladder. You're welcome to it if you want it. Alternatively, it's very simple to make a powerhead type diffuser. They are among the best types.

More
04 Mar 2015 16:01 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx LJ can you PM a price including postage, no point it sitting unused on a shelf.

Tank is only 180 so not a lot of space so going with something tidy. Would get a ceramic type but not sure I have enough pressure.

More
04 Mar 2015 16:09 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You're right, there wouldn't be enough pressure for a ceramic and even if, by some miracle, you did produce enough it would only take a little bit of algal growth or dirt on the ceramic to block it.
A DIY/powerhead type could be made to be very discreet if done well. I'll let you know how much the postage is.

More
05 Mar 2015 10:16 #11 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Happy enough this morning a bubble every 10 seconds and a nice little stream of bubbles from the airstone. Next job is diffuser or reactor to get more of the co2 into the water.

I have a lot of surface agitation and 2 airstones is that a bit much? Will it cause the co2 to be aerated out quickly do ye think.

More
17 Mar 2015 23:35 #12 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So the first mix is still producing after 2 weeks. I've moved a lot of Anubias to different tank but the rest of the plants look healthier

Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2015 00:37 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ar$e!!! I completely forgot to find out how much it'll cost to send you that diffuser! I'll let you know tomorrow.

More
18 Mar 2015 08:52 #14 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
No hassle LJ whenever you get a chance. I may have a spare heater or small sponge filter by way of payment if you like.

More
18 Mar 2015 10:45 #15 by Homer (Kevin)
won't there be a problem with the co2 running all night when the plants stop photosynthesising?

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
18 Mar 2015 10:58 #16 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Kinda unavoidable with DIY Ibelieve but I have lots of surface agitation and I think production goes down at nigh as temp drops in room.

Was thinking of only running air pump at night but a bit worried about siphon while pump is off.

I'll know more when I get a co2 measurment gonna get the jbl test

More
18 Mar 2015 12:02 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Kinda unavoidable with DIY Ibelieve but I have lots of surface agitation and I think production goes down at nigh as temp drops in room.

Was thinking of only running air pump at night but a bit worried about siphon while pump is off.

I'll know more when I get a co2 measurment gonna get the jbl test

Trying to turn off a DIY system can lead to an exploding DIY system :blink:
Because the connections are never going to be as good as you'd like, eventually the pressure will build until it finds a point of weakness (usually around the cap or the first valve) and then your having to wipe badly made home brew off your walls, ceiling and possibly yourself :sick:
Why not just get a check valve for the airpump?

More
18 Mar 2015 12:34 #18 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I have check valves on but still makes me nervous, low risk high impact :unsure:

I was thinking of adding a T and then putting an air flow valve off that that I could open to relieve pressure or vent co2 at night but not sure how well the valve will close

More
18 Mar 2015 13:07 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'd trust the check valves. I've never had one fail. And it's not like it'd be working under pressurized conditions. If you were still worried you could just put the pump in an elevated position and job done!
Those airflow valves are only plastic and hardly precision made. I've always found it a little difficult to close them entirely so during the day you might end up venting off a bit of you CO2 into the room. Maybe you could pop another check valve into the end of it each day.

More
02 Apr 2015 22:07 #20 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So have done a few iterations and below is the current one.

The first was what you see on line with 2 bottles in series, I used tec 7 on that.

Then I thought I would like to see how much co2 was coming from each generator so I decided to run them separately into the gas separator and did that with the model air plane bulk heads but the bulk heads did not make a good fit to the 4/6mm hose so they leaked.

So uarujoey says the silicon tube makes its own seal so I gave it a go and he is right.

Still didn't get test but will post readings when I do.

This plant seems much better but that is partly due to me putting a root tab under it

Probably nothing new in this but thought I would share

Dec
Attachments:

More
27 May 2015 09:37 #21 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So finally got the CO2 test and I'm pretty happy especially as it is airstone only.

Just trying to decide if I will go for the tunze reactor as it costs about the same as a flipper.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds