Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Nanochromis transvestitus Breeding Vids.

More
21 Oct 2012 11:58 #1 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
As promised (on www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...refully?limitstart=0), here's a few videos of Nanochromis transvestitus Stewart & Roberts, 1984, breeding.

This little species of African Cichlid is now an Endangered species (Endangered B1 on the IUCN listings).

First described by Stewart and Roberts in 1984, and described as coming from Lake Mai-N'dombe.

I have a feeling that these fish were amongst species I had in the 70s as 'undescribed' but that is only based on my memory of fish in Nanochromis batches that I could not identify.

Typically, breeding Nanochromis species can be difficult in view of the often poor nature that the fish arrive and in the shear relentless aggression shown by the fish to their own kind.

The female in this video has a history of killing the males, so I decided to use the method I have used for species such as Teleogramma and other highly aggressive African Cichlids (that does not include Malawi cichlids as they are only mildly aggressive).

Conditioning Parents.
Is very important to have well fed parent fish on a mixed diet of meaty (frozen foods) and good quality dried food (I would favour a dried food specifically developed for either Bettas or discus).

The water is very very peaty with quite low conductivity.
Cones and leaves are added to the breeding tank to allow a colony of small creatures to develop (=first food for fry).
Temperature is 24 to 26 C.

Here, the male and female are separated by glass dividers.

I have included a freshwater protein skimmer within the glass divides.

The main fish seen here is the female, but the male can be seen in the second video.

Initiating Courtship.

The water is then diluted with some RO water and JBL NitraEx is included to partially remove tannins and reduce conductivity (the water is now clearer).

The protein skimmer has been removed, and the water is made less turbulent.

Note: the male 'owns' the territory in which the spawning will take place.

Guarding the Eggs/Fry

The parents take it in turn to guard the entrances to the breeding site.

The New Swimming Fry Emerge

The water is quite peaty....and so video shots are not easy.

There are some more recent shots.....just need to load them off the camera.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2012 12:23 #2 by JohnH (John)
This is a really excellent 'blow-by-blow' account Ian.

Take ten house points!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Oct 2012 16:36 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Cheers JohnH.

It was only rushed together before going out shopping today.

I should add some informational text on the species and the parental behaviour to give it a more 'complete' feel.

ian

More
21 Oct 2012 18:27 #4 by ricko10 (jamie)
Well done Ian. Nice videos.
Jamie

More
22 Oct 2012 19:26 #5 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Very well documented, thank you for taking the time of recording and sharing these!

Melander

More
23 Oct 2012 12:01 #6 by Ma (mm mm)
Great watch from start to finish.

Mark

Location D.11

More
30 Oct 2012 00:34 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Cheers guys.

Here's a later video of the bigger young with a parent.

ian

More
30 Oct 2012 00:45 #8 by JohnH (John)
Still looking good Ian - thanks again.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Dec 2012 20:56 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Now that's a piece of serious work. I'm jealous now. Failed so many times with those fish.
This post makes me feel like trying again :)

More
24 Dec 2012 00:22 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Many thanks Bart.
I've been a bit bad in not continuing the follow-up videos as the young have grown.
They are doing quite well......at that awful stage where growth slows for a while before the next spurt.

Do try again. Great fish.

ian

More
10 Jan 2013 08:34 #11 by ricko10 (jamie)
Hi Ian
Just wondering how your sex ratios have turned out? Mine seem to be female heavy

More
10 Jan 2013 08:53 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Hi Ian
Just wondering how your sex ratios have turned out? Mine seem to be female heavy

I am having problems seeing males through the females. ;)

More
10 Jan 2013 19:08 #13 by ricko10 (jamie)
Ha ha. Same issue as me then. It's not a big issue really as females are stunning.

More
10 Jan 2013 19:31 #14 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
As with any of this group of cichlids, there is often a wild sway towards one species or the other.
Environmental conditions tend to affect the brood.

There must be some evolutionary survival advantage.....but, as with anything like that, the best we can do is to put 2 and 2 together and rationlise that it comes out to be equal to 4.

What we might measure as a difference, might simply be a coincidental factors eg we measure pH, but the pH may just be coincidental with the real reason for causing such changes in sex distribution. etc

More
11 Jan 2013 16:59 #15 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
I must agree to that.
In two different batches of P. taeniatus from 2 different parents but kept in the same water(the tanks were connected). 1 batch was roughly 50/50% the other is around 15% males.
Both pairs spawned within 3 days from each other. Water parameters exactly the same (soft low pH). There is common understanding that water pH influences the sex ratio with Kribs. But i think what was observed is based on breeding and raising of P. pulcher and not necessarily applies to other similar species.
As Ian said some "Survival advantage" is probably involved, triggered by God knows what ;)

More
11 Jan 2013 19:49 #16 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Where a fish is observed to produce a skewed sex ratio under a given pH doesn't necessarily mean the pH affected the skew.

It may, but in reality such conclusion should be supported with proof that no other parameter have changed.

Much of the stuff on kribs is more anecdotal rather than scientific.

However, such things as calcium flux and membrane potentials modified by the environment are likely to affect the eggs.

ian

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds