Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My Organic Aqua 'Adventure'

More
28 Jul 2011 00:56 #31 by JohnH (John)
My apologies,
I had formulated Last Week's report but forgot to post it.
And now it seems to have gone 'amongst the missing' somewhere in the computer (I really don't know how to work these machines properly - even after 12 years of trying!!!).

But, basically, there was little to report - the fin erosion on the Corydoras has continued to a stage where it has very little in the way of a tail now...the two Discus are still alive, but certainly are no better but the two Krobias have become at least 50% bigger, the other Corys are doing great as are the LDA-16s, although I had hoped they would have spawned again before now.
I syphoned off about a gallon of tank water so that I could add a drop of 'fresh' when adding the third week's supply of the liquid treatment.
At the weekend I'll end the trial and offer my views, but this is only pt. one, I'm hoping to get a 'Breeder's Pack' to enable the start of pt. two...but more of this after Episode one completes at the weekend.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2011 17:58 #32 by Zoom (Zoom)
Thanks John,

I wasn't expecting a sequel :)

More
28 Jul 2011 19:46 #33 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
this is a lively chat and a great read , keep up the good work :)

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
29 Jul 2011 08:30 #34 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Thanks John,

I wasn't expecting a sequel :)

ha ha Alan, we might even get a trilogy going from John if we're luck, really enjoying the thread, even with john trying to play Jesus with the lazarus effect mentioned earlier :lol: now if we're really really luck, johnh might even post a picture or three for us :cool:

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
07 Aug 2011 20:08 - 07 Aug 2011 20:11 #35 by JohnH (John)
Final Part (forgotten the numbers)

Well, the time has come, I ended the initial part of this ‘trial’ on Friday night. I’ve had a couple of things to report – so to these first, then it’s on to the conclusions.

The poor Cory got to a stage where it only had a stump left – I had removed it and treated its new quarters with Sterazin, after an initial partial dip of the rear end of it in a strong salt bath (my usual ‘answer to most maladies of that type) and after a week the problem had become even more acute so I euthanized the poor soul as it was headed that way anyhow – it was just lying on the bottom, on its side…really only a matter of time anyway.

The two small Discus really didn’t seem very happy from the start – to be ruthlessly fair, they were hardly what you would have called ‘top’ stock and, apart from when the Shiners were removed which brought them out of their hidey hole in the Anubias (as reported previously) they never really looked as though they would settle in. I probably shouldn’t have actually bought them, but I had ordered them so would not let down the shop which had held them for me.
They are still alive, but really not looking like they will make ‘old bones’.

I removed the Krobias on Friday as they had doubled in size over the month and really needed to go into a larger tank.

Also on Friday night I did around a 30% water change, adding an appropriate amount of ‘Easy Life’ and put in, in place of the airstones two twin-sponge air-driven filters.
At first I was going to use sponges from ‘active’ filters, but decided against this and used two brand new ones – straight out of the packets.
The reason for this decision was in order to attempt to replicate the potential conditions as outlined by Derek in his articles – i.e. that this trial should, as far as possible, have been run as if by a newcomer to Fish Keeping but who would want to set up a tank and by-pass the cycling procedure (for reasons best known to themselves). To this end the whole ‘experiment’ has been directed.

This afternoon I tested the water and got the following (relevant) results:

Ammonia less than 0.5ppm, but slightly above the ideal of 0ppm

Nitrite “ “ “ “ “ “
(The "s are meant to be underneath the comment above, but for reasons best known to themselves they have all bunched up at the beginning) [perhaps they got lonely]

Nitrate a little under 10ppm so all readings have room for improvement but considering the filters have only been in place for less than 48 hours it’s very encouraging.

Unfortunately I avoided taking test readings during the course of the trial as I had been told these would be ‘off the scale’ – actually I really wish I had monitored this also.

So, at the end of this part of the ‘trial’ my conclusions are very much inline with those of Derek – the tank was started a little over a month ago with only the Organic Aqua and – barring the mishap of losing the (already very poor-conditioned) wild Angel and the poor Cory – both of which were added in quite bad ways to see if the ‘Health Treatment’ would work something like a miracle, not one fish as originally stocked has gone to meet its maker. All the other Corys are ‘fit as fiddles’ and the LDA16s have now spawned – as I had hoped and expected they would.

I have even added a further six Corys – young Green Lasers, for which I have high hopes in the future. They settled in immediately

This part of the Organic Aqua has very much proved to me – and no-one has openly been more cynical about it than I – that Organic Aqua is a valuable commodity for both newcomers and ‘old hands’ alike.
As stated, newcomers can use it to start up a tank from scratch and immediately stock some fish, a problem which often besets family folk – the youngsters are often very impatient to get a tank home, filled and see some fish in it the same day. I would still caution against a full stocking immediately, but OA works in conjunction with fish, there have to be some for it to actually work (at least that’s my understanding). Then, at the end of the first month they could choose to either continue using OA by buying a new supply – or, as I did in this experiment, simply start conventional filtration.

For an established ‘older (and “wiser???”) lad’ like myself I could see its best usage to be if a sudden and unannounced batch of fish became available these could be bought and a new OA tank could be set up for them. I would now have the confidence to use it for such a purpose.

If I do manage to obtain a “breeders’ pack” shortly I plan a further test with tanks ‘side-by-side’ – one doing the same as this trial but with the whole test extending for six months (and doing weekly water tests to find out how ‘off the scale’ they really do go, while the other tank will just be a ‘conventionally-cycled’ (for want of a better description) one doing parallel water tests.

I also feel that this will not be complete until I can find a damaged (or similar) fish and give the Health Treatment a full try-out too.

For Derek to be so enthusiastic about it, it must bear further investigation.

That’s about it then – at least for this part – but I’m looking forward to the next trials already.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 07 Aug 2011 20:11 by JohnH (John).

More
08 Aug 2011 19:27 #36 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
John, this made for great reading and thanks for taking the time on it. Given that this stuff has passed the tests thrown at it by yourself and Derek I might just give it a go next time I setup a tank. I gotta say I was very sceptical about this stuff until I spoke with Derek and to have trials like this posted up "warts and all" has pretty much convinced me to give it a go. Cheers,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
09 Aug 2011 13:06 #37 by Zoom (Zoom)
Thanks very much John for a very interesting read, I too feel like I should give it a shot and have some at hand for an emergency tank set up. This thread has been very helpful to me to understand OA alongside Derek's thread.

Just 1 more quick question, I would like to know if you can tell me , Is there an expiry date on the shelf life of OA?

Thanks
Alan.

More
10 Aug 2011 00:16 #38 by JohnH (John)
Thanks Jay, and Alan for the words of appreciation...

I will certainly have no future qualms about using in when circumstances dictate, or in recommending it to others for a similar scenario.
I'd still love to know what's 'inside' it though - but don't imagine for one second this will ever be divulged (and why should it?) - mind you, I'd also like to know what's 'in' Polyfilter also, but I always was a 'want to know' sort of person...it's my nature, I suppose and there has been far too much water flown under the bridge for me to start changing now (I think I'm 'set' in my ways after so long).

John

ITFS member.

More
10 Aug 2011 08:51 #39 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Very good read John, fairplay for reporting yer finds.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
10 Aug 2011 14:40 #40 by JohnH (John)

Just 1 more quick question, I would like to know if you can tell me , Is there an expiry date on the shelf life of OA?

Thanks
Alan.

Alan,
Sorry, I missed the quick question.
I did a bit of searching and here is the link to the thread I was looking for:
It starts with a question from Stretnik and the last post is the answer from Organic Steve, who is the importer of OA:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...t-before-date#101255

Hope this settles things?

John

ITFS member.

More
10 Aug 2011 18:02 #41 by Zoom (Zoom)
Thanks for the link John, I don't know how I missed that post.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds