Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

180 vision (my first aquarium)

More
24 Nov 2013 21:34 - 06 Jan 2014 19:22 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I got the tank this afternoon, is a Juwel vision 180. I've bought an used one (3 years old, has been used as goldfish tank). Is going to be a community tank.

I've cleaning it for a while, but it was too late to go shopping so I've been checking filter and heater and both seems to work. Light system is supposed to work but since there are no bulbs I'll have to buy them in order to check it. It brings an air pump and some decorations.

Before putting gravel or sand do I have to put anything else?
About gravel, I think I'll go for a small one, white probably, how many kilos will I need?
Do I need to put some soil under the gravel?

All the help is welcome ;)
Last edit: 06 Jan 2014 19:22 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2013 21:39 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Your local pet shop will test the water for you. what are you going to keep in your tank?
gravel will have a lower ph compared to coral sand are you going to keep live plants ?
I only put my 180L up for sale today with everything included.

Something fishie going on here

More
24 Nov 2013 21:59 #3 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Your local pet shop will test the water for you. what are you going to keep in your tank?
gravel will have a lower ph compared to coral sand are you going to keep live plants ?
I only put my 180L up for sale today with everything included.

I'd like to put a male betta, a group of cardinals, mollies, corys and some shrimps.
Yes, I want to put live plants. I was thinking in Eleocharis parvula, Staurogyne repens, Java fern and moss, Cryptocoryne undulata and maybe Anubias barteri, but this always depends on what they have in the store.

I saw your ad this morning, but the one I bought today was reserved from tuesday :S, in case I had not be pleased with the this tank I would contact you.

More
24 Nov 2013 22:35 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
The only bad point wiht my tank is i don't have a stand but i might get one during the week and include it in the sale. I am sure someone will be along to help.
Best of luck with your tank and keep us posted with plenty of photos.

james

Something fishie going on here

More
26 Nov 2013 16:58 #5 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
After relocating some furniture and some stuff ...finally the fish tank is in it's place.

Now I have to decide about background and decoration.

More
26 Nov 2013 17:25 - 26 Nov 2013 17:26 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
A lot of people, myself included, swear by painting the back black (on the outside!!!). It's cheap, looks good and can be easily enough scraped off if you change your mind.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 17:26 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
26 Nov 2013 17:31 - 26 Nov 2013 17:39 #7 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

A lot of people, myself included, swear by painting the back black (on the outside!!!). It's cheap, looks good and can be easily enough scraped off if you change your mind.

Yeah I was thinking in a darkblue or black pasteboard, I think is cheap and something neutral.

I have picked up some stones from my back garden but are not enough, do you know any place close to pick up some more?
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 17:39 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
26 Nov 2013 17:59 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic My new 180l tank

Yeah I was thinking in a darkblue or black pasteboard, I think is cheap and something neutral.

I have picked up some stones from my back garden but are not enough, do you know any place close to pick up some more?

Acrylic paint is very good and also fairly cheap,and as was said it's quite easy to remove if you wanted to change it or move the tank on........Any Arts and craft or Hobby shop would sell it.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
26 Nov 2013 18:02 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Killiney beach maybe?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
26 Nov 2013 18:14 - 26 Nov 2013 18:21 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks for your answers guys, I'll look for the paint and the beach seems to be in a reasonable distance (so say google maps)for going there with the bike, so I will make some sandwich and spend a day there.

I enjoy a lot looking for my own stuff (used to collect stones and minerals when I was child), this morning I found one black medium size and while I was digging my dog has took it and run away with the stone in her mouth :laugh:
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 18:21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
26 Nov 2013 18:32 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Thanks for your answers guys, I'll look for the paint and the beach seems to be in a reasonable distance (so say google maps)for going there with the bike.

I reckon you'll be peddling slower on the way back though

Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2013 18:46 #12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Thanks for your answers guys, I'll look for the paint and the beach seems to be in a reasonable distance (so say google maps)for going there with the bike.

I reckon you'll be peddling slower on the way back though

Hahahhahahaa you made my cry!

More
27 Nov 2013 18:21 #13 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi ppl
I'm plannning to put aquabasis and white sand, how much will I need of each?

Thanks

More
27 Nov 2013 18:59 #14 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic My new 180l tank
I'm not too sure that that's a good idea as with the sand being a much smaller grain i'm pretty certain the two would mix in a short time.

Best substrates for plants is not my thing but i'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you.

If you were to go with just sand then I would say that 2 x 5kg bags would be enough for a Juwel Vision 180 base.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
27 Nov 2013 19:52 - 27 Nov 2013 21:43 #15 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

I'm not too sure that that's a good idea as with the sand being a much smaller grain i'm pretty certain the two would mix in a short time.

Best substrates for plants is not my thing but i'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you.

If you were to go with just sand then I would say that 2 x 5kg bags would be enough for a Juwel Vision 180 base.

Ger

I think I'm going for manado, I do like the natural look it has, so question would be the same:

How much I need of both manado and aquabasis?

Thanks
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 21:43 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
28 Nov 2013 17:17 - 28 Nov 2013 18:08 #16 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
LemonJelly I got 8k, was a bit tired comming back home :laugh:

Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 18:08 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
28 Nov 2013 20:46 #17 by Redser (Richard)
Replied by Redser (Richard) on topic My new 180l tank
Hi Aroshni
Redser here, I see you have been busy and getting plenty of help here also, sounds like your going to have a wonderful setup! best of luck getting it all together,

More
28 Nov 2013 21:21 #18 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Yeah Redser I've spend all the day at the beach picking up some stones, tomorrow I will go to buy epoxy (seems is great for sticking rocks) and get the soil and gravel for the weekend.

Any advice is welcome!

More
28 Nov 2013 23:28 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I know the feeling!

"Oh look, there's a nice rock! Oh, and another one! I'd better get a few more, just so I have options!"

and before your know it...

Attachments:

More
28 Nov 2013 23:48 #20 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hi ppl

Thanks

Hi there. Lovely looking tank and I owned one of them for many years. I would rethink the aquabasis being covered with white sand...it won't work. You'll have to clean your tank for one and you'll have living fish in it for two - they'll both mix the aquabasis and sand up and it will look like a mess in no time...been there with aquabasis and regular coloured sand....also white sand even on its own isn't a great idea as all the dirt and waste in the tank will show very quickly and it will drive you mad....just will never look clean.

I'd go with a much heavier gravel substrate over the aquabasis rather than a fine sand...

Best of luck with it!

Watch out what you add from the beach also btw...lots of posts on here about that too

More
29 Nov 2013 22:33 - 09 Dec 2013 16:08 #21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Hi ppl

Thanks

Hi there. Lovely looking tank and I owned one of them for many years. I would rethink the aquabasis being covered with white sand...it won't work. You'll have to clean your tank for one and you'll have living fish in it for two - they'll both mix the aquabasis and sand up and it will look like a mess in no time...been there with aquabasis and regular coloured sand....also white sand even on its own isn't a great idea as all the dirt and waste in the tank will show very quickly and it will drive you mad....just will never look clean.

I'd go with a much heavier gravel substrate over the aquabasis rather than a fine sand...

Best of luck with it!

Watch out what you add from the beach also btw...lots of posts on here about that too

Yeah I decided to put Manado, it looks great.

About the stones I've cleaning them with water and a brush and I will add boiled water.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 16:08 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
09 Dec 2013 16:19 #22 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I hadn't much time plus I have to wait my orders to get delivered so dunno when will I finish :S
I have used around 5k of soil and like 17.5 of manado. All the rocks are from the beach or my backgarden (it was an old train station)

I did this:

But it didn't convince me so I changed yesterday a little.

As soon as I receive the plants I will place the rocks I've been glueing and start filling it. ( I want to add more plants in the backgroung-filter corner but is not a priority)

More
09 Dec 2013 18:42 #23 by paulv (paul vickers)

I know the feeling!

"Oh look, there's a nice rock! Oh, and another one! I'd better get a few more, just so I have options!"

and before your know it...

every forum has its comedian, thank god. :silly:

More
09 Dec 2013 18:53 #24 by paulv (paul vickers)
I like the pic with the bowels of green jelly, could that be lemon jelly I ask myself :crazy:

More
09 Dec 2013 20:12 #25 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

I like the pic with the bowels of green jelly, could that be lemon jelly I ask myself :crazy:

So true haha, the java moss pot looks like a refreshing kiwi jelly!

More
17 Dec 2013 20:20 - 17 Dec 2013 20:21 #26 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi people

Update: I'm cycling

I filled the tank last friday and on saturday I added 2 raw prawns (I didn't have raw shrimps). Today I've done my first test of everything (missed PH High Range), maybe I didn't have to test everything but I did.

These are my readings:

PH -> 7.6
Ammonia -> 1.0 - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite -> 1.0 ppm
Nitrate -> 20 - 40 ppm

Is that normal?
Last edit: 17 Dec 2013 20:21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
17 Dec 2013 22:21 #27 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi Lydia,

Glad to hear you're making progress with your tank!

From my own experience when I cycled my tank, I didn't really see Nitrites and Nitrates at all at first, it took a while of high Ammonia before the Nitrites (and Nitrates) kicked in.

Have you used any filter media or chemicals etc to help with the cycle? Or are you just starting from scratch with the two prawns?

J.

More
17 Dec 2013 22:32 #28 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi Jason ;)

I just started with two raw kingprawns (they look awful surrounded by a white mucus :sick: ) and no more products that a de-chlorinator (aquasafe) when I filled it and then I added a fertilizer (plantamint) on Sunday for the plants.

More
01 Jan 2014 20:47 #29 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi guys & girls, happy new year everyone!

This is my tank today, I've changed some things I didn't like, removed some manado (it had too much) and stones. Is half done, I'm just waiting two pending orders with some rocks and plants.

More
02 Jan 2014 00:55 #30 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Happy New year Lydia tanks looking cool just a little tip if it where me I would grow the miss on the wood to the left it will look really cool when covered, like really cool

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds