Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ako, shrimps tank aquael 30l

More
01 Apr 2014 17:13 - 05 Jun 2014 10:21 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi guys, I started a new project since I wanted to put all my shrimps in a place just for them.

This project is very simple, and cheap. I've enjoyed it so much and when I finished I liked it and most important, the next day, and the other I still like it. Not like my community which I keep changing things because I feel it's not complete.

Since we don't use the hearth I wanted to put the tank there. The hearth has a stair which leaves the place pretty useless so I went to Ikea and found this TV bench which looked strong enough for 2 nanos of 30l.

I had a layout in mind,a goldfish layout I watched in youtube, I also did a drawn :unsure: based in that layout but with a touch of green.

In the end I haven't used that layout. But I wanted something with few plants, but not too many because I could not enjoy my shrimps, stones, black sand and a red moor root with a tree form. Basically I had in mind a mini japanese garden.

Tank
- Nano tank aquael 30l

Hardscape
- Small red moor root
- 3k of Black Tangarykan sand
- 2.5k of Black gravel
- River stones

Plants
- Riccia fluitans x 2
- Eleocharis acicularis x1
- Marimo balls x 2

Other materials
- Fishing thread
- Green net (from mussels bags)
- The bottom of the plastic pots where aquatic plants come.
- Polystyrene sheet

At first I put the sand and then started to place the stones, some of them were pretty huge so I added a polystyrene sheet under them but I realised the sand wasn't enough to cover everything because I bought it thinking in a plain coat. Since the sand was bought in seahorse and I could not go there until one or two weeks later I went to a close lfs and bought black gravel and other stuff for my community (which was a BIG mistake).

I put the polystyrene, the gravel, part of the sand and some stones.

Then I started with the tree. Here is when I used the bottoms of the plastic pots covered with riccia and with the green net and tied them like candy.

Tied the riccia candy to several parts of the tree and placed it in the nano.

Put some plants too and riccia attached to some small stones.

Added more sand and more stones. And filled it.
Two weeks later I added some amanos and a spickey nerite, who took rid of the brown algae.

Yesterday I moved most of my shrimps into it. After three weeks this is how it looks. I watch this tank from my computer desk and from the sofa so I wanted it to be nice by two points of view.

As with my community tank I'm dossing it with easy carbo and profito.

This last photos are not very good, I will replace them.

Thanks to LemonJelly for giving me some stones.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2014 10:21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2014 17:22 #2 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Very nice Lydia....you've a great eye for layouts...I still think the circular pieces added to grow the moss out are so clever....really looking forward to see how the 'tree' grows out....

More
01 Apr 2014 21:11 - 01 Apr 2014 21:14 #3 by Lauris (Lauris)
Nice Lydia! Moss should be well once it will pick up. Nice tree through. Can't wait my new one be ready. I hope my Co2 2way bras will arrive this week so I can flood it. Would Love to have crystals

I am planted!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 21:14 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
02 Apr 2014 15:29 #4 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Looking great. Good having all ur posts together. Ur moss us doing well. I think I need more lighting...

More
02 Apr 2014 15:41 #5 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Looking great. Good having all ur posts together. Ur moss us doing well. I think I need more lighting... The stones look great

More
08 Apr 2014 09:54 #6 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks guys. The plants are doing well, eleocharis started to expand with no substrate although I didn't want to.

I'm having right now some planaria and ammonia peaks so I moved my shrimps back to the community tank until everything is settled.

More
08 Apr 2014 14:53 #7 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi Lydia i missed this one somehow ,very nice job on the nano ;)
Im still thinking about getting one too .

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
12 Apr 2014 20:39 - 12 Apr 2014 20:42 #8 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Wanted to get rid of the planaria without using any products so I dismantled the tank and started it again, but this time I bought more sand from seahorse and removed the gravel. Change it a bit but basically is the same idea.

Also bought another heater with temperature selector, the preset one was driving me crazy. :silly:
The sand is no 44 tangarykan black
Last edit: 12 Apr 2014 20:42 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
12 Apr 2014 22:43 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Wanted to get rid of the planaria without using any products

unwanted guests can be such a pain, esp when you have treatment sensitive inverts. I have a 12L shrimp tank running and seed shrimp waited a good 3 months before increasing in number enough to be obvious! thankfully they're so small (and actually beneficial) that they don't bother me too much, but when the numbers get too much, I drop in a piece of courgette, wait until they're clustered over it and then I take it out and rinse it off in my community tank... live food for the fishies :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
12 Apr 2014 23:57 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Lowtech nano shrimp
ella es un genio!!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
13 Apr 2014 00:52 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

ella es un genio!!

Kev.

she certainly couldn't be called a noob anymore

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Apr 2014 08:12 #12 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Tank is beautiful!

More
16 Apr 2014 20:43 - 16 Apr 2014 20:45 #13 by blade (Michael G)

Wanted to get rid of the planaria without using any products

Tank looks great fair play.

planaria easily got rid of wit normal dog wormer ( fenbendazole ) it does`nt cause any harm to shrimp if used correctly ,i have used with Crystal shrimp with no ill effect , wiped out planaria in 2 days i can offer instructions if required or just cut down on feeding
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 20:45 by blade (Michael G).

More
17 Apr 2014 09:47 #14 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks guys I'm glad you like it! Kev gracias amigo!

Blade if I have any prob with them incomposition l'll use this method for sure. Found info about it from different sources but don't know where to get the fenbendaloze. Yesterday I bought deworming tablets for my dog and cats but it doesn't mention chemical composition, just drontal. Where did you bought them?

Since I got crs shrimplets this week and I'm watching them always in the moss I'm most likely to replace the riccia on the tree with java moss, but keeping it on the plastic dishes.

More
17 Apr 2014 20:19 #15 by blade (Michael G)

Blade if I have any prob with them incomposition l'll use this method for sure. Found info about it from different sources but don't know where to get the fenbendaloze. Yesterday I bought deworming tablets for my dog and cats but it doesn't mention chemical composition, just drontal. Where did you bought them?.

Zerofen is ones i have ,you can get on ebay , one sachet will make a litre of treatment , its very potent so a little goes long way ,any wormer with 4g sachet 22% fenbendaloze does the job, its makes water cloudy at first next morning clear and not a worm in sight great for hydras too i hear , drontal uses different chemicals

More
13 Jul 2014 16:22 #16 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Hey Lydia where did you get the light for your nano tank? Does seahorse stock the bulbs?

More
14 Jul 2014 14:21 #17 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Hey Lydia where did you get the light for your nano tank? Does seahorse stock the bulbs?

Got them with the aquael nano, I guess if seahorse sells aquael products it shouldn't be difficult to get them for you.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds