Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New scape ---------

More
24 Jul 2014 01:49 - 24 Jul 2014 13:22 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
After picking up some nice Mekong wood I couldn't resist doing another aquascape.
I started this a couple of days ago.

Tank; 60x30x36cm opti white 65 liters.
Substrate; ADA Amazonia.
Plants; Ammania sp. bonsai, Cryptocoryne spec. Legroi, Cyperus helferii, Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo', Ludwigia sp. super red, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'', Staurogyne porto vehlo, Phoenix moss, Christmas moss and I might also use a small bit of Ricardia.

ADA Amazonia is added to the tank.
File Attachment:

The pieces of Mekong wood are added and the substrate is leveled out.
File Attachment:

I tied some Monte-Carlo to stones and placed them in the foreground. Monte-carlo will be planted all over the foreground.
This should give it a nice rough or hill effect instead of a flat manicured lawn.
File Attachment:

Christmas moss tied to lava rock is added to fill some of the gaps between to wood.
File Attachment:

All the plants added except the small mosses.
File Attachment:

After looking at this for a couple of days I decided to change it. I wanted to get more out of the wood.
So the task of taking it apart again begins.
File Attachment:

Re started. I think this dose the wood more justice.
File Attachment:

Re planted. The plant arrangement will be the same as before.
File Attachment:

The small mosses will be added tomorrow and I will dry start this for about 2 weeks while the moss attaches.

Darren.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2014 13:22 by platty252 (Darren Dalton).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2014 21:07 #2 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Looks good Darren. Looking forward to seeing it when it matures

Eric

More
25 Jul 2014 07:57 #3 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Looks awesome as always Darren :)

More
25 Jul 2014 15:41 #4 by zabol001 (Marcin)

More
25 Jul 2014 16:02 #5 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic New scape ---------
Very nice Darren.

Just wondering what you use to clean the glass prior to filling? Do you use anything special or a different type of cloth?

Marino, Dublin 9

More
25 Jul 2014 22:46 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers guys.

The roots came from seahorse aquariums. A lot of there rock and wood is not on display, so I recommend asking if they have more on offer.

For cleaning opti-white glass I use some filter floss in my hand. Tough enough to clean the glass without scratching the glass.

More
26 Jul 2014 06:27 - 26 Jul 2014 06:43 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic New scape ---------
Lovely stuff Darren,

What water are you using, RO? Remineralised? PH etc? And LAST question.... How do you heat the plants/water given that it is so low?

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 26 Jul 2014 06:43 by Homer (Kevin).

More
27 Jul 2014 00:58 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Some good questions Kev.

I use RO in all my tanks. The waste water is used around the house.
I wouldn't use it without adding minerals. Especially if livestock are going to be added. What fish wants to live in RO?
I know you can read on the net that people with planted tanks use RO (without minerals) but that is not for me.
I see water as wanting to do one of two things. Either give or take.
If the water itself has no minerals it will want to take them from somewhere. Fish can be an easy target. I think of it as slowly dissolving the fish.

PH is not so much of an issue when using ADA soils. It normally stabilizes the PH around 6.5-6.8.
When I add the minerals to RO I aim for a KH-4 GH-2. The PH is normally quite high with the heavy aeration of the RO. 7.4-7.8.
But this changes rapidly once the aeration is taking off and water is added to the tank. Before you have time to reach for your test kit it is back to 6.5-6.5.

How do you heat the plants/water given that it is so low?
Ok I think you mean the dry start method were plants are first growing on a bit before the tank is filled with water.
its probably best to foogle "dry start method" for some great explanations, but all this you know already. :)

This is the method I use.
I have a reptile heat mat placed under the tank raising the temperature in side the tank.
With the tank covered in cling film I use a water mister that comes on every 30 minutes or so. This comes on for about 10 seconds at a time and keeps the tank humid and the plants moist to wet.

The mister in action.
File Attachment:

about 2 liters of water is sprayed in each day. This amount of water needs to be removed or the tank will end up flooded in no time so I use a small drain system to remove the excess water.
This is simply some airline, a suction cup from a thermometer and an airline valve to control the amount of water been removed. I only want to remove the same amount of water as the amount going in to the tank.
It is important not the have any water sitting in pools in the substrate or cyanobacteria will quickly grow from the rich nutrients and stagnant water.

A small divide is needed between the glass and the soil so only water is removed.
File Attachment:

This is what it will look like for the next two weeks or so. Two water feeds misting in and one air line tube removing the excess water.
Lights and water misting system on 16 hours a day.
File Attachment:

Oh and the moss has been added. but not the originally mentioned fissadens . It is a sample I got long ago that I can only describe as a mini spiky moss (4mm).

Darren.

More
28 Jul 2014 11:12 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Simply stunning Darren!

More
28 Jul 2014 13:22 - 28 Jul 2014 13:23 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Looks like if you went to a forest and picked a portion of the landscape and put it inside the tank. :ohmy:
Great job Darren, the tank looks so amazing!
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 13:23 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
02 Aug 2014 14:55 #11 by Lauris (Lauris)
Replied by Lauris (Lauris) on topic New scape ---------
LOVELY DARREN!

the big piece of wood, to be honest, looks bulky in there.
But the piece itself - JUST BRILLIANT!!!
But there is a thing - once everything will be settled in and
you will reach a decent plant grow - the green and bushy
look will compensate it

Looking forward

I am planted!

More
02 Aug 2014 22:51 #12 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Lauris I agree the wood looks big and bulky. If I could have gotten a bigger piece in there I would have. :laugh:
I wanted the wood to really dominate the scape.
The appearance of the wood should soften once the plants grow in. But I still want the wood to stand out.

More
04 Aug 2014 23:08 #13 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Still needs a helicopter

More
04 Aug 2014 23:10 #14 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
.....it is really brilliant though - cant wait to see it filled & up and running

More
04 Aug 2014 23:25 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

Still needs a helicopter

:laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking along the lines of the sunken treasure chest with the air bubbles coming out of it. :P

More
11 Aug 2014 00:01 #16 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Ok after running the tank dry for a couple of weeks its time to flood.
File Attachment:

Even when this is done slowly you still get a little bit of cloudiness from the soil.
The wood had not been pre-soaked or weighed down so I put tape across the tank to hold it down incase it start floating while filling.
File Attachment:

Luckily the wood didn't float so the tape was removed and the glass cleaned.
The filer is added the first day with the standard plastic pipe work. This is a good time to check that there is enough flow around the tank.
To help clear the water from the fine particles I added JBL siemecmicro to the filter.
File Attachment:

The next day the water is clear so I do a big water change, clean the inside of the glass (to remove any dust from the soil) and add the glassware.
I also trimmed some of the plants and leveled the foreground a little bit.
File Attachment:

I decided to change from the 2x24w T-5's (pictured above) I was planning to use to 2x Blau nano LED'S. These are small but powerful enough. They are also dimmable with separate controles for white and red LED's.
File Attachment:

The down side to using the LED'S is the way you get the two town reflection at the back of the tank. I will have to do something with this.
A quick shot from on top to show the LED'S.
File Attachment:

I will balance the Co2 and fetrtz then add the details.

More
11 Aug 2014 00:48 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic New scape ---------
realy nice mate there like underwater worlds the tanks u create

More
11 Aug 2014 09:34 #18 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Fantastic two things I always wanted one a small tank looking like yours and the other a small tank with a seahorse like the one on display in seahorse shop in Dublin

Something fishie going on here

More
11 Aug 2014 14:19 #19 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Looking really good now Darren fair play

Eric

More
25 Aug 2014 18:23 #20 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Where did you get those led lights?

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds