Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

whats the names of this floating plant?

More
29 Jan 2015 09:09 #1 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2015 09:51 #2 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

More
29 Jan 2015 09:53 #3 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I second Aroshni have this myself if it has little roots its salvinia natans.

More
29 Jan 2015 10:15 - 29 Jan 2015 10:19 #4 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
it does have small roots,
I was looking at that, but it looks too small to be salvinia natans?

kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige...i/223957020-138-4792

maybe im wrong and he has small fingers :lol:

#############
edit
#############
Christ - i throw chunks of this stuff out every few weeks
i could sell it on ebay - for for 4-5 euro a pop!!
ebay link
Last edit: 29 Jan 2015 10:19 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
29 Jan 2015 14:24 #5 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
well , said i'd give it a go :P

my ebay link

More
29 Jan 2015 14:31 #6 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)

I was told this was silva is natans and some photos online are the same and some are big clumps. Maybe they are grown in different ways. Best bet mite be Joemc as he knows his plants.

Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2015 14:46 #7 by JohnH (John)

well , said i'd give it a go :P

my ebay link

You should try Adverts.ie as well, their 'commission' rates are less punitive (ask one of those who has been given stuff for free from this Forum and then sold them using that site).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
29 Jan 2015 14:56 #8 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks john, i tried give them away (i think for free) also here, but no one seemed interested ;)
(it was a few months ago and i ended up throwing them in the bin.)

(I cant find the sale topic, and i don't see any way of searching my own posts?)

so why not expand the sale to england. said i'd try anyway. :crazy:

More
29 Jan 2015 15:10 #9 by JohnH (John)

"...so why not expand the sale to england. said i'd try anyway".

Why not indeed.
I was just suggesting an alternative place for you to try (and having a 'pop' at a certain person/people who have abused the generosity of Forum members in the way described - but in no way was it directed at yourself).

If you want to find any of your own posts, incidentally you can use the "My Topics" tab (in the group above your avatar) and, if selected, this will give you a run-down of all your postings.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jan 2015 15:20 - 29 Jan 2015 15:21 #10 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks john, wasn't able to fins my original topic - but I'm sure i did, maybe im losing it :side:

and if anyone is in galway that wants some for free- just pm me :cool:
Last edit: 29 Jan 2015 15:21 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
29 Jan 2015 15:23 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
I like this plant if anyone up in Dublin has some give me a shout

More
29 Jan 2015 15:28 #12 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Tend to stay away from adverts due to annoyances like that... Also was thinking johns comment was aimed at me but since I only used adverts for selling/buying/swapping games it couldn't possibly be :D.

Kinda disgusting that someone would accept free stuff to sell on rather than letting someone that could make use of it have it :/.

Tried the selling of plants but found myself dumping in the bin by the time I've found interest as the quality was lost so I was happy enough to donate mine rather than waste my time with adverts.

I wish you the best of luck with your ebay quest. Uk and Ireland will increase your chances a lot.

More
29 Jan 2015 16:00 #13 by JohnH (John)
Perhaps I shouldn't have posted what I did, but it has been vexing me for a long time now.

Anyway, please rest assured that it was NOT referring to ANY of what we might term as our 'regulars'. We'll leave it at that - I think that's for the best.

Good luck with your venture DS, hope you sell plenty.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jan 2015 16:20 #14 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Guys I used to have that plant but had tons of it, so I decided to clean it up and focus in less prolific ones like frogbit or water lettuce...now I regret it because would need some :S

John are that persons still active members? I'd like to know since sometimes I send plants or snails.

If someone is doing that kinda stuff or worse thing should be blacklisted...

More
29 Jan 2015 16:39 #15 by JohnH (John)
Going off on a bit of a tangent I remember reading somewhere that this plant is very good at reducing nitrates too.

The sad thing about the behaviour highlighted earlier is that - while being totally immoral, it does not contravene any Forum rule so cannot warrant a ban.

Anyway I haven't seen any log-ins from the perpetrators this year, so maybe they've moved on to pastures anew.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jan 2015 18:14 #16 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

I was told this was silva is natans and some photos online are the same and some are big clumps. Maybe they are grown in different ways. Best bet mite be Joemc as he knows his plants.

Looks like Salvinia Natans to me...

More
03 Feb 2015 15:48 - 03 Feb 2015 15:51 #17 by Jaro (Jaroslav Macuga)

Going off on a bit of a tangent I remember reading somewhere that this plant is very good at reducing nitrates too.
John

That's true, but they are good reducing at phosphates too. Ideal for controlling algae in aquarium.
If you are in Galway we have salvinia minima for free and we still have some Eichhornia crassipes as well.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2015 15:51 by Jaro (Jaroslav Macuga).

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds