Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

LIDL

More
03 Apr 2007 06:34 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Just to let people know that LIDL are selling Coldwater plants as of this thursday.

The have normal pond/coldwater plants like elodeo (and from the small pic on their leaflet, what looks like Limnophilia), €3 a bunch.

Also have loads of Water Lillies and floating plants for ponds, worth a look.....

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2007 06:48 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: LIDL
Thanks Peter,
I was going there this afternoon but will hang on till Thursday...I need to get some more of those very nice and very cheap Instant Noodles packs (before Didinho buys them all again!!!) :D

Actually sometimes not all the items offered in the leaflets end up in our Lidl, I think, despite what they claim, most of the best of the offers don't go far from the Cities and the larger Towns! :shock:
(A bit like the free Guinness Offer from Tesco the other week!) :!: :!: :!:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 06:50 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: LIDL
Want me to get them for you and bring them to Limerick next week?

More
03 Apr 2007 08:51 #4 by JohnH (John)
Thanks for the offer Holger, I'll have a look on Thursday to see what has reached the provinces - if, as I expect, none has I'll take advantage of your kind offer.
Thanks also for ebay info earlier, will look into that tonight.

John

ITFS member.

More
03 Apr 2007 12:56 #5 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: LIDL
Lovely mate have a couple of lillys in pond at minute got from lad in work over the weekend
how much for the lillys?

You know yourself

More
03 Apr 2007 13:33 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Replied by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan) on topic Re: LIDL
I bought the chest waders they had on offer last week, €14. Went to Malahide last weekend to go fly fishing in the estuary and guess what?

Yep, you guessed it! They leaked! I had a wet leg/foot for the entire day!

Top quality merchandise but I was sort of expecting it!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
03 Apr 2007 14:01 #7 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: LIDL
lets say i know someone fixes the tv's ain't much better

You know yourself

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 15:58 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: LIDL

Thanks Peter,
I was going there this afternoon but will hang on till Thursday...I need to get some more of those very nice and very cheap Instant Noodles packs (before Didinho buys them all again!!!) :D

Actually sometimes not all the items offered in the leaflets end up in our Lidl, I think, despite what they claim, most of the best of the offers don't go far from the Cities and the larger Towns! :shock:
(A bit like the free Guinness Offer from Tesco the other week!) :!: :!: :!:

John

You keep your greasy mits orf my noodles!

More
03 Apr 2007 17:43 #9 by JohnH (John)

Come on, now...I only have one pack of them left!

I tried the "Value" noodles from Tesco but they aren't half as nice as the Lidl ones!

John :roll:

ITFS member.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 02:54 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: LIDL

Come on, now...I only have one pack of them left!

I tried the "Value" noodles from Tesco but they aren't half as nice as the Lidl ones!

*snort* Those value noodles are sheeeeite.

Lidl noodles are the only noodles.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill every m*therf*cker in the room with poison farts from spicy prawn flavour.
Accept no substitute.

More
04 Apr 2007 02:59 #11 by JohnH (John)

how much for the lillys?

Deeco,
They're a tenner - see here:

www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070405.p.WaterLilies

I'll be there in the morning...

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 03:00 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
The food critics at it...

Next things we have ITFS's going to appear on 'The Restaurant'. You can poison that whole bunch of pretentious ba*tards. You'd get 5 stars from me and probably everybody in the country.

The Lidl waders looked crap but the reels were quiet good value. Got myself one for 6.99€ and it's working fine. Also survived my 18 1/2 stone falling on top of it without malfunctioning afterwards. More than can be said about my ribs...

More
04 Apr 2007 03:12 #13 by JohnH (John)

Got myself one for 6.99€ and it's working fine.

Just you wait until you need spares...but I suppose at that price you could chuck it away and wait for them to offer them again... :D

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 03:21 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
John,
I bought a fly reel once for over 200€ made by one very well known manufacturer and couldn't even get a spare disc for the brake for it off them.

At 6.99€ it doesn't really matter if it only lasts one season. I can get my money back since there is a one year warranty on it.

I gave up buying expensive tackle. I won't catch you any more fish than the cheap stuff....

More
04 Apr 2007 05:26 #15 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I agree Holger, expensive gear wont catch you more fish. I picked up one of those small reels for my brother. €6.99 was an excellent price and I was impressed to see that it even has ball bearings. Although I would recommend that if you are using it in salt water that you give it a good wash after use as I wouldn't think the parts are made from stainless steel, but the plus side is its mostly made of plastic and that wont rust, just remember to fish in the dark so the UV rays from the sun wont melt it. :D

Talking about buying expensive fly kitt! It in virtually impossible to buy a cheap/decent fly rod in Ireland. I had to get mine in Scotland and it was roughly a third of the price that was being charged in Ireland. They say buying from the Internet is destroying fishing shops in Ireland, well if the fishing shops didn't destroy my bank balance when I wanted to buy gear I would have some sympathy.

For instance I bought a packet of snap swivels four weeks ago in a fishing tackle shop in Dublin. €4.99 it coast for 10 pieces. For a little under twice that price I picked up eight times that amount in Lidl.

What do you fly fish for by the way?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 05:41 #16 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
brown trout mostly, to answer your question. I do a bit of perch and pike fishing as well. Something to do in the off season, really, since I packed up shooting. Shotguns and small kids don't mix.

Friend of mine's got a 30 foot boat and I occasionally go sea fishing with him.

More
04 Apr 2007 05:42 #17 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: LIDL
If you guys want great value check out fly fishing exporters in NZ. There the stuff is tax free and shipping isn't that expensive, I shipped a 4 piece 14 foot Okuna fly rod and reel here for 150 eur all in.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 06:14 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Do you have a web page?
Also looking for some reasonable genetic dry fly capes. The guy I used to buy them from in the States for a fraction of the price they are sold for over here is not mailing to Europe anymore. Apparently stuff got lost on the way to Italy and he plainly refuses to send anymore stuff outside of the US and Canada. Never mind that I bought fly-tying materials from him for over a decade and never had any trouble. Try to explain from somebody in Colorado that the Italian mail system is crap and the pony express would be faster to get it over there.

More
04 Apr 2007 06:16 #19 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks for the head up zebadee but I'm afraid my budget on fishing tackle has been spent this year after buying my new "hand made" no less!! 7-9# fly rod. You can buy cheap stuff but sometimes there is no comparison for a bit of luxury.

I'm going to try fishing for bass and other salt water species this year so here's hoping its going to be productive. I'm going to try to get down to the south cost and target some of the sandy beaches so if I'm down there I will give you a shout holger and you can show me about. I've also started tying my own flies so that saves a good bit of cash when you are constantly loosing them! Its a learning experience!!

More
04 Apr 2007 06:24 #20 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Fly fishing for Bass
Requirements-Chest waders
Bitterly cold atlantic water
One fly rod
Small spinner
seriouswill to catch bass

Method- Set up gear, wade out to just inside the breakers and fish across the midway between crest and trough of breaking waves. Be prepared to do this for hours, until your hand feels like its about to drop off. IF you're lucky you'll have some nice bass to show for your torture. Try this at whitebay, eastern side of cork harbour on the way to roches point. (I'll watch from my kitchen). Seriously though, its a good spot for bass, and theres loads of other good fishing around the area, to suit all tastes!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 06:24 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Tying your own flies becomes addictive and you won't save any money. The amount of flies I have sitting in various fly boxes beggars believe. Last count before I put some of them in storage was 68 boxes and we are not talking the small ones that fit into your waistcoat. And buying all these materials costs a pile of money. I even tied fully dressed salmon flies. I don't even fish for salmon, never mind that I would use a fly I spent several hours on just to get it to look right.
Funny thing is that I get through an entire season on about 12-15 patterns in various sizes

More
04 Apr 2007 06:25 #22 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: LIDL
SNAP!! :D

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 06:33 #23 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Another comedian is born :D
That's why I buy cheap tackle. Breaking rods are a fact of life.

More
04 Apr 2007 06:40 #24 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
The good thing about salt water/pike flies is that they are mostly monsters so getting the patterns isn't necessarily as important as trout flies. The flies that I have made so far mostly consist of Lead wire, Deer hair of various colours, a hook that any self respecting brown trout would run a mile from and a bunch of shiny stuff! (far less expensive than a packet of jungle cock cheek feathers). They are mostly based on the "deceiver" pattern/style. None of them have worked so far but then again I've only been out a couple of times and its been very cold.

But I see what you mean about, starting a collection! I've already got a bag of them that I know I am never going to use.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 06:53 #25 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I used to get my jungle cock capes straight from India. A buddy from college worked over there and sent them over. Unfortunately he's back in Ireland now and my cheap supply has dried up.
I tied pike flies and you need more lametta and glittery stuff than you can shake a Christmas tree at. And deer hair is a mess to tie with.

More
04 Apr 2007 07:17 #26 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I know we have gone completely off topic here but I shall continue.

Holger, since you are an avid tier of flies you might be able to help me with a question regarding the topic.

I've been looking around at flies on the net and a lot of bass/sea trout flies have what I think it called a stinger (a treble hook) attached to the main hook (body of the fly). From what I can see it is attached with a short piece of gut but my question is, how is it attached? It is not through the eye of the main hook, so I figure it must be whipped on? Is this true of how is it done.

I added a picture so I hope you will see what I am harping on about.

Fly number 1 and 2!
I removed the image at is was too big and it was screwing up the page, So here is an link to the image instead

Link

Ps. Really liked your quote about the shiny stuff!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 08:47 #27 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
There are several ways of doing this. You will need heavy nylon or braid or the stinger hook will just wrap around the fly. double you nylon/braid and insert trough the eye of the treble hook. Now reverse the treble out of the loop. The best I can describe it. It should look like a loop to loop connection. Now bring the two ends of the nylon on top of the shank of the hook where you are tying your main fly on. Just whip on with tying thread and tie off. Keflar is very good for this on bigger flies. A drop of superglue or even better epoxy will hold the whole thing together. If you are really patient you can get a lighter and form to little balls of singed nylon and then tie down as above.

More
04 Apr 2007 10:11 #28 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks for that! I will give it a try and post a pics of the results! Its kind of strange that if a fish in our tanks has a problem we will jump through hoops to try and keep it alive (meds, constant water changes, worry etc...) but then we go out and stick hooks into wild versions. I really enjoy it though!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 01:26 #29 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
A fish tank is a great place to give your flies a swim. Little incident around Christmas time 1994. Picture this, me pissed as a fart on Christmas day decides to give his new nymph creations a try-out in my old man's Tanganyikan tank. Let's just say Tropheus and Julidachromis can be caught on the fly....
I don't think I have been forgiven yet....

More
05 Apr 2007 05:32 #30 by JohnH (John)
Sorry lads,
Back to Lidl for a moment or two.
I got up with the lark this morning and was there at the crack of Dawn (well, 10am, which is about the same for me...). :roll:

I picked up a couple of Lilies, which weren't all that bad for the price - certainly a lot better than the ones I bought elsewhere last summer - and a few marginals and floating plants. :D

NOTE TO RUSSELL: - They had Water Lettuce there too. :!:

Trouble with Lidl, I find, is I end up buying loads of stuff in their 'offers' section which I don't really need...I suppose I'm their "classic" mug! I even bought a pond pump but only because it was there - I don't really need another one - probably might be able to use it for water supply from outside barrell though... :D

Looked at reels and reckon for €6.99 they'd be fine but then realised I truly don't need any more reels, especially fixed-spool ones so gave them a miss. :wink:

NOTE TO DIDINHO: - bought loads of Noodles but left a few - and since you'd hardly be coming to Birr to shop I probably should have bought more... :twisted:

Well, that's it - back over to you Fly Fishermen...I was fishing on our local Trout river yesterday and caught nothing...it's probably been 'maggotted out' again, same thing happened last year! :(

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds