Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help wanted for goldfish

More
16 Aug 2011 20:09 - 16 Aug 2011 20:12 #1 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Can anyone identify this and recommend solution please. Water paramaters are OK. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 20:12 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2011 21:20 - 16 Aug 2011 21:20 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
That looks like a Bacterial infection.
This is usually caused by poor water conditions , but as you said your water conditions are ok i am a bit stumped.
Another thing could be agression from other fish.
have a look at this link here
www.happy-goldfish.com/bacterial_infection.php
i am sure someone else can also give some help here.
Good luck i hope all works out.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 21:20 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
16 Aug 2011 22:09 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Looks like some sort of haemorrhagic septicaemia (I would suspect of bacterial origin).

If it is bacterial in origin, then the minimum is an antibiotic (but I try not to recommend use of antibiotics) or a potent anti-bacterial agent.
There are a number on the market: Octozin; JBL do a number that are potent; Myxazin. I wouldn't really bother with the milder anti-bacterial agents to be honest.

Assuming it is bacterial in origin, then you will need to make sure the tank and conditions favour fish-life over favouring these bacteria life.

You will be unable to measure ammonia spikes within the body of the fish....so we cannot rule out ammonia poisoning as triggering the lowered immunity against these haemorrhagic bacteria.

Anaerobic regions in the tank should be minimised by having adequate aeration and water circulation.

Diet and and anything that might damage the kidney need to be carefully watched.....a good quality goldfish food is essential anyway.

Depleted minerals in the water may also trigger such problems.....very regular partial water changes are required.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Aug 2011 11:04 #4 by dar (darren curry)
pond fish? i had a pond running with goldfish with simular injuries, it resembled burns, so i tested the ph out of curiosity and could not get a reading with the ph high test. it went through the roof. might not be your problem (or mine) but something to look into

would high ph cause such injuries?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
17 Aug 2011 12:10 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

pond fish? i had a pond running with goldfish with simular injuries, it resembled burns, so i tested the ph out of curiosity and could not get a reading with the ph high test. it went through the roof. might not be your problem (or mine) but something to look into

would high ph cause such injuries?

Yes it would, and then those injuries would be then open to secondary infection....plus the high pH might also lower the fishes immune system AND encourage certain species of pathogen to 'get a good hold'.
If the pH in the water were high then the fish would also be prone to internal ammonia poisoning (and have damaged kidney etc) because the ammonia would be 'hampered' (I'm not going to get technical there) from dispersing out of the gills.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Aug 2011 12:24 #6 by dar (darren curry)
well that is "if" it is a pond and "if" anything got in there. but it is wat happened mine. there was a lump of mortor with dashing on it in there

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
17 Aug 2011 13:48 #7 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Thanks lads, it is indeed a pond and the ph is 8.0 which isn't too high (I think). I'm off on holidays next week so I hope to fix this before I go. Ian, I'm going to try your remedy, I can get my hands on some octozin. Will keep ye posted

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds