Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

native salt and fresh water fish

More
25 Aug 2011 18:42 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Hi guys im just woundering if any one has ever done a fresh cold water tank with fish from our rivers and lakes or a cold salt water set up getting quite intrested in setting 2 up

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2011 19:40 #2 by roealdo (j)
i've often thought the same.

saw a full grown salmon in a tank before. Small tank. Big fish

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2011 21:36 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: native salt and fresh water fish
Yes, it IS possible but in contrast to Tropicals, keeping the Water cool will be your main problem as you will require a chiller to achieve this. Water movement for some species is a must as some live in quicker moving Water. A lot of our common Tropicals are trapped in isolated ponds after the annual flooding of Rivers and as a result, they survive slow or still waters.

Kev.

More
25 Aug 2011 21:47 #4 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
i kept 6 small roach in a tank years ago, i brought them back from a fishing trip,
they were about 3/4 inches,
cool little fish, kept them for about 6 months then released them back into the wild..

More
25 Aug 2011 22:01 #5 by woodstock500 (Robert Glascott)
I'd say a native salt water tank would be well worth looking into. While I know nothing about marine tank chemistry etc. and have never kept a proper marine tank myself(only freshwater), as a kid I used to keep a temporary sea tank for a few days at a time in a garage by the sea in west Cork. I'd wade around with a net and catch whateverwas about, usually juvenile flatfish, gurnards, pollock etc. Some of the more unusual species were lumpsuckers, pipefish and even two tiny cuttle fish (sepia minor, I think). Add a few hermit crabs and blennies etc and then some caught micro shrimps for food, watch em for a few days and then release them back before they croaked it. Very basic stuff but very enjoyable!
There is a great variety of native species in Irish waters and with a bit of thought I reckon you could make a stunning tank. I'd love to see any photos or hear if anybody has attempted this.... gooo on, have a go!

More
26 Aug 2011 16:16 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Watched a few videos on you tube of a cold marine tank actually looks amazing lucily i live near the cost so catching stuff wouldnt be a problem i.never knew there was so many cold water anemoe s nice colouring in.them to. Im.doing a bit of research into.what i.can.catch where off.my cost

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
31 Dec 2011 14:04 #7 by BarryB (Barry Blenkey)
I've got small rudd, roach, minnows, gudgeon in my 6ft community tank along with american flagfish, weather loaches, hillstream loaches, and various goldfish. have them well over 2yrs now and doing fine, most were caught on tiny number 22 hook while out fishing one day :) they all doing well and look the part too...

More
26 Jan 2012 10:35 #8 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)

I've got small rudd, roach, minnows, gudgeon in my 6ft community tank along with american flagfish, weather loaches, hillstream loaches, and various goldfish. have them well over 2yrs now and doing fine, most were caught on tiny number 22 hook while out fishing one day :) they all doing well and look the part too...

It would be nice to see a pic or 2 of that tank if you can, I have often thought of setting up something similar myself.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds