Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dying Goldfish

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • FreakyFish (FreakyFish)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 14:21 #1 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Dying Goldfish was created by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
I came back from holidays to find one of my fish swimming to it's side. I am thinking it might be swim bladder, but I was looking at its left eye and it looks a little swollen. Could my goldfish be blind? There is nothing I can do for him but it's sad watching a fish you have kept for 8y die after arriving home. :cry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2007 14:53 #2 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Ah god...sorry to hear about that. I dont know what could be wrong and I'm sure you are unaware how long it has been on its side too so maybe it is the end of the road for the poor thing.

More
09 Apr 2007 15:23 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Any chance of giving us some more info on the tank that the fish is in and if you have water stats? If the fish is blind I wouldn't worry about it. I've had a blind goldfish for the last year and a bit and it hasn't seemed to cause it any problems.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 15:37 #4 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re: Dying Goldfish
I don't know the levels of the water but it is very cloudy. I suspect over feeding by family members. As for my fish he is starting to relax a little know, he is swimming to his left side and in circles. It sounds alot like swim bladder but I am completely lost. I thought he might be blind because he goes crazy when the light gets switched on.

He is still alive at the moment but is on his side, things aren't looking good for Silent Bob. :cry:

More
09 Apr 2007 15:55 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Dying Goldfish

I don't know the levels of the water but it is very cloudy. I suspect over feeding by family members

Two things here, Do a large water change - yes, tonight if at all possible!!! - and do the same over the next few days.

It can be fatal to leave fish feeding in the hands of friens or family if they aren't au fait with the fish concerned...that's why you should have left food 'packages', one for each day, or whatever. Non-fishkeepers see fish (especially Goldfish) against the glass and imagine they're "begging" for food - so they put more in (which of course the fish eat) and so it goes on!

Anyway, it's too late for that advice this time so do the water changes!

And (if I'm right in assuming you don't have a test kit) buy a water testing kit! Before you buy anything else...it's SO important.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 16:35 #6 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Did a water change, he's still swimming circles. But at least now he has some chance of surviving. I feel really guilty, I should have left the right amount of food for each day and not presume they should know.

I will keep you updated...

More
10 Apr 2007 05:11 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Any chance of a little more info, ie. Tank size? and other inhabitants! As JohnH recommended keep up with the water changes for the next few days?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 09:10 #8 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
The tank is 20 gal not huge, holding two fish. I did a 50% water change last night and another one today. He seems a little better, his eyes look fine and he is starting to gain his balance, still tends to go more to his left side. Could he be constipated? I have not seen him poo since I got home. He is eating a little. I have to say things are looking alot better for him, he was jumping around the tank yesterday in what seemed like a panic attack and know he is quite calm.

Thanks for your help everyone, fingers crossed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2007 10:53 #9 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Silent Bob is doing great! everyone. :D I have been doing water changes and he seems alot better, but he still hasn't taken a poo. If I am to give him some peas, do I need to cook them first or is it ok to give them raw? any other suggestions on a good treatment?

*Thanks*

More
12 Apr 2007 11:37 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Howdy, Pea's would be a good move! They are simple to prepare, put a couple in a bowl with a very small amount of water and place them in the microwave for about a minute (based on a 700w machine).

Then take them out and remove the husks! This is done by squeezing the pea between you thumb and index finger, the inside of the pea should then pop and is ready to be put in the tank, throw away the husk.

They recommend that you only use flake food for comet goldfish as fancies will develop digestion problems because they ingest a lot of air while eating flake from the surface. Tetra do a very good sinking gold fish pellet that I highly recommend. Think its called Tetra Gold! White tub with gold lid.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds