Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Just looking for some info

More
18 Sep 2011 17:26 #1 by lindseys06 (lindsey)
Hi i'm looking for some info for my fish tank. Let me just fill you in on whats been happening.

Last Sunday 11th September there was an outbreak of White spot disease.
One fish (a Schubunkin) in particular was affected. My minnow were not affected at all.
My fan tail and Black Moore had a few spots.

I treated the tank with anti-white spot, salt and stress eze and a heater.
The fish were very ill for a few days but spots fell off and they slowly recovered.
So one week on fish are back to normal, my tank is clear (was cloudy due to overfeeding).

Dose anyone think I should keep the heater in it is currently set at 22 degrees?

I now feed my fish every 4-5 days (on advice from pet shop), this seem cruel to me but it has cleared my tank. Should I feed them more often?

Any other advice is very welcome.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2011 18:39 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Before answering any questions, I have a few:

what size tank?
what filtration and aeration?
what size fish and how many?

Higher temperatures will mean more aeration, and a small tank will not allow much oxygen to dissolve.

But 22 C is not high for goldfish (especially the fancy types) if the tank is properly aerated and filtered.

Feeding...the frequency and amount of feeding depends on temperature, filtration but also on size of fish.
Larger fish do not need to be fed as frequently as young fish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Sep 2011 18:54 #3 by lindseys06 (lindsey)
Hi my fish are quite young i think: 1Black moore and 1fan tail about 1 and half inch each (not including tail)
1Shubunkin is about 2 and half inches (not including tail)
I have 5 minnows which i'd say are fully grown.

My tank is about 44litres.
And I have a Fluval 1Plus filter it seems to put plenty of air bubbles into the tank.
Note I just tested the PH and it is a little low, any way to bring it up a little its around
6.5 at the moment?
Hope this helps.

More
18 Sep 2011 19:17 #4 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
In the short term i would do a 20% water change and do the same in a couple of days. Keep an eye on the situation. Do you know why the PH is so low?
phil

More
18 Sep 2011 19:32 #5 by lindseys06 (lindsey)
The only thing I can think of is the treatmet for white spot. It was a two dose treatment last dose was on friday.

More
18 Sep 2011 21:36 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
What is your normal PH? Whats the PH from the tap? My area in Cork is 6.5 also.
I think you need to check the nitrates and nitrites also,that would be of more concern.
Also the white spot treatment,the heater will only speed up the whitespot parasite but at 22c, its quite low,but with goldfish you cant exactly pump it up too high at all.
Im not going to go into the size of the tank,I feel 44 litres is too small,but nonetheless we need some more info. How long is the tank set up and when did you purchase the fish etc.
Whitespot may have been introduced by the fish you bought, and stress can also bring on whitespot amongst fish.
As for the feeding, the fact you said the water was cloudy due to overfeeding sounds like you must be feeding a hell of alot of food. Small pinches,once or twice a day is enough. Skip a day once a week also. In the wild fish dont get fed every day. You really need to urge caution when feeding. Over feeding is not only bad for the fish buts its bad for the water too.
Any other questions just ask. Great to have another Cork person on here.
Gavin :)

More
19 Sep 2011 12:20 #7 by lindseys06 (lindsey)
Hi the tank is up and running about 3 weeks. I think the white spot was brought in by some mountain moinnows but they did not seem affected by it. The reason I put some extra food in is because my black moore seem to miss it every time.

More
19 Sep 2011 12:27 #8 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
3 weeks after initial cycling of tank?

Follow me up to Carlow

More
19 Sep 2011 13:07 #9 by lindseys06 (lindsey)
No 3 weeks in total.

More
19 Sep 2011 14:49 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
The tank isnt cycled so then,3 weeks for that many fish...what did you do to kickstart the cycle?
Can you post up your water readings. Lindey I think you've added fish too quickly to that tank,it wasnt fully cycled from the sounds of it, and adding all those fish just tipped the balance.

Do you have a tester kit,Im in Cork also if you need some help out.
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds