Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sinking Goldfish Food

More
21 Feb 2012 15:27 #1 by kilyth (De Burke)
I've been having a bit of trouble with my goldie. He's currently getting JBL pond fish pellets that have been soaked for at least an hour in an effort to manage some problem he seemed to have with his swim bladder, but it's not helping much; every morning he's either standing on his head or floating at the top trying to swim down. I starve him one day a week, and feed a pea the next day.

I think that the floating food is to blame and that he's swallowing air when he's taking it. Can anyone recommend a decent sinking pellet food? I don't want to go for flakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 09:27 #2 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
That dosn't sound too good I'm afraid :( As far as I know, There is no treatment possible for swim bladder problems caused by genetic defects or internal growths, however, a fish can often live with the swim bladder problem for many months. Feed the fish brine shrimp or peas to ensure that it is not a simple case of constipation or correct any other dietary problems. Blocked intestines can and will interfere with the function of the swim bladder. If this is the case, a cure is easy to effect.

You could try fast the fish for 4 days. Don't worry a hungry fish is better than a dead one! This will enable the fish to clear itself out, and normal function of the swim bladder should return.

I also remember reading somewhere that pellet foods can use a lot of ash to bind everything together which can cause fish to "get bunged up" So maybe stay away from pellets.

I'm sure that there is more experienced members here that might be able to help you further. I hope your goldie does pull trough doh, best of luck and keep us posted.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

More
22 Feb 2012 11:38 #3 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Try reading through a recent forum article on Discus swimming problem.

Discus in trouble, please help 23 Jan 2012 20:52

There is a good attachment on swimming bladder problems which should also apply to Goldfish is assume.

Greg

More
23 Feb 2012 11:53 #4 by kilyth (De Burke)

T
You could try fast the fish for 4 days. Don't worry a hungry fish is better than a dead one! This will enable the fish to clear itself out, and normal function of the swim bladder should return.

I also remember reading somewhere that pellet foods can use a lot of ash to bind everything together which can cause fish to "get bunged up" So maybe stay away from pellets.

I'm sure that there is more experienced members here that might be able to help you further. I hope your goldie does pull trough doh, best of luck and keep us posted.

I'll try fasting him longer. This morning he wasn't even trying to fight his way down from the top, he was just bobbing there.

I feel really bad about this. He lived in a pond (well, more of a much hole) in the garden for about 10 years until I got rid of it because upkeep was impossible. My family prophesied that moving him indoors would kill him. I really hope he pulls through.

More
23 Feb 2012 14:23 #5 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Sorry to hear that mate, How long is he indoors now? Do you have a test kit to test your water?
If a goldfish is bobbing like that, the first thing to do is check your water parameters. Some people think high nitrate can cause this. It is possible that high nitrates affect the vascular mechanisms for controlling the amount of air in the swim bladder. If your nitrate is running above 40ppm, do partial water changes to lower it(prob 40% every 2 days) Fast growing plants may also help as would vacuuming your gravel thoroughly (the bacteria that eat debris in the tank also produce ammonia which gets converted to more nitrate) And with the amount of waste a golf fish produces you need to have very good filtration system also.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

More
23 Feb 2012 15:00 #6 by kilyth (De Burke)
He's in now since December 23rd.

I didn't test the water yesterday, but I did do a 30% WC and vacuumed the gravel. There are quite a few plants in there; cabomba, java fern, anubias, and so on.

More
05 Mar 2012 10:39 #7 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Any update on how your goldie is doing?

Joe

More
05 Mar 2012 22:28 - 05 Mar 2012 22:29 #8 by kilyth (De Burke)
Thanks for asking!

I ordered the sinking food, but before it arrived I rehomed the fish to a nice chap with a pond. The pellets are now at the post office. I don't quite know what to do with them. I wonder if I'll be able to use them with any other fish.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 22:29 by kilyth (De Burke).

More
07 Mar 2012 09:21 #9 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Glad to hear he doing ok now B) You probably could use the pellets with other fish once you mix it with other food for variety, not 100% sure doh. Maybe put a post up in the "Foods and Feeding" section.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds