Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pump and filter size question

More
06 May 2007 06:55 #1 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi,

I am thinking of building a oval shaped pond, 10 feet x 14 feet with 5 feet depth.
The volume will work out to be around 20000 litres. I would like to keep Koi in this pond, so what size pump and filter do I need.
I was thinking they should be able to handle 30000 litres per hour to at least turn the pond once per hour. Is that right, or do I need a bigger pump and filter?

What pumps and filters are the market that are capable of handling this?

Thanks

Darragh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2007 02:26 #2 by JohnH (John)
Darragh,
Sorry, I'm not too well versed with pond filtration info, merely that you do definitely need to turn your water capacity over hourly (that sounds an ambitious project for the size of pond you are planning - good luck with it).

I also think it partially depends on your stocking levels, 'wall to wall' Koi need really over the top turnover but if your intention is to not have this many then you can cut down the filtration to the 'once an hour' level.

If you look at this site:

www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/BradshawsSite/pages/home/default.asp

you'll get a rough idea of what you might be looking for...I don't think they ship to over here but the site's fairly good and should have the sort of info you are after.

Hope that helps...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 May 2007 14:14 #3 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi John

Thank you for the info.

I am still quite confused about the pump size required as some of the kits come with a 30000 lph filter but only a 9000 lph pump.
I would have thought that the pump should be capable of turning the pond at least once per hour.

Thank you

Darragh

More
07 May 2007 15:30 #4 by Deeco (Deeco)
Thats one big pond you could try a combination of two pumps with extenal boxes
i use 2 old model hagen 9000 powerflo's with extenal box filter and two internal filters for pond bout a third of this size
can't say what pump and filtration to use for that size pond myself,
have u spoke with any suppliers like hagen,oase or blagdon or aquatic shops i know brittas has a good setup out there you could give them a buzz.

don't know of anywhere else maybe garden centre?

You know yourself

More
07 May 2007 15:31 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I hear what you are saying with the kits that have mis matched pumps. I had the same problem a few years ago when putting in my pond. What is seems to come down to is the filter maker picks a pump that turns over the optimal amount for the filter size, if you get a bigger pump the inlet may not be big enough to take in the water required to feed the pump (that's what happened me when I ordered a larger pump) or even if it is the water may pass through too fast to be filtered properly. The easiest solution is to buy a kit designed for a pond larger than you have.

Once every two hours is fine for Koi if you are not over stocked, but if you are going for heavy stocking lots of feeding and want crystal water you will need a massive filter even though once every two hours may still be sufficent.

Have you been to Aquatic Village, they do some serious pond filtration gear and will be able to advise you what you need.

Daragh

PS. check the wattage of the various pumps, you will notice the difference in your ESB bill with some fo the inefficent sump type pumps.

More
07 May 2007 15:35 #6 by Deeco (Deeco)
i agree with darragh didn't know you where thinking kit
defo get a bigger pump than recommend had the same prob as darragh few years back the pump with kit was a 4500,
it did a job but not a good one

You know yourself

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds