Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond in a bucket

More
06 May 2007 15:41 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
My brother asked me to make a new home for his two problematic goldfish that were causing him a lot of headache in a 100lt tank. Basically any plant he tried to grow was torn to pieces and uprooted. Thus he wanted them out.

He wanted something cheap and large enough to accommodate the future growth of the fish (well at least one or two years). The new "pond" will be going in a conservatory behind a couple of pieces of furniture so the aesthetics of the project where not of up-most importance.

So we went to woodies and purchased the following:
One large pvc bin 150lt : 19.99
white pvc piping: 5.00
The rest of the parts I already owned.

The filter is based on a simple sump system (first one I have created). There are three compartments, the first compartment has large gravel, the second will have the blue coarse filter media (juwel) and the third contains the return pump. I am not concerned about water clarity so I will not be including any filter wool.

The circulation system is simple, the gravity fed overflow feeds the sump which is then returned by a 400lph powerhead through a smaller diameter pipe running up the inside of the overflow pipe.

Here are a couple of pics

The only problem I have encountered so far is that the water syphons back out of the bin (emptying nearly most of the bin) through the power head, I think this can be combated if I stick a one-way valve on the end the return pipe. Can anyone see any problem that might arise from the way I have set up the system? Not bad for 25 euro and two hours work.

Comets and suggestions are welcome

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2007 16:10 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Denis your crazy. But in a cool kinda way 8)
If the return from the pump is not submerged you shouldn't get back syphoning.

More
06 May 2007 16:26 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks for the complement I guess!! :shock: :shock:

I knew the syphon problem wouldn't be there if the return pipe was above the water line. But I want the return water to go into the bottom of the bin so that it causes maximum amount of circulation. Does anyone know where to get a cheap none return valve? or how to make one?

More
06 May 2007 18:23 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

More
06 May 2007 19:02 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Looks good Denis. However, I think you need a few timer switches. I recommend a mixture of UK and US plugs with dodgy wiring. Then you will have a true frankentank :D

It should be fine for gold fish. Once the filtration is good, they should be happy.

As I mentionted in an earlier tread, we had one in my parents house in a very basic set up that live for 26 years.

Regards,

Ken.

More
07 May 2007 02:56 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Pond in a bucket
Good project Denis.

A couple of quick questions:
Did you buy the tank connector in Woodies? - I have been on the lookout for some that size for my pond project (to link the large one with a smaller one and also for overflow) - I have found smaller ones in B&Q but not the larger ones as in your picture.
Also did you get that nice gravel there too? - Something else I've been on the lookout for for a breeding project...I think that polished rounded stones would be more aesthetically pleasing than glass marbles!

Perhaps you could let me know.
Thanks,
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 May 2007 06:41 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hi John

I got the large tubing in woodies. It was fairly cheap, the two connectors and double that length of pipe you can see in the picture was only 5 euro. The pebbles I picked up in a florists. I got them a while back and as far a I can remember they where 2.00 euro for a 1kg bag.

More
07 May 2007 07:01 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Denis if you have a spare self start syphon you could use this for a check valve.
You know the type you shake in a tank to get the syphon going.
If the pump goes off the flap should close stopping the water syphoning back to the pump.

More
07 May 2007 08:58 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Pond in a bucket

I got the large tubing in woodies. It was fairly cheap, the two connectors and double that length of pipe you can see in the picture was only 5 euro. The pebbles I picked up in a florists. I got them a while back and as far a I can remember they where 2.00 euro for a 1kg bag.

Thanks Denis, I'll have a look in Athlone when next I visit there.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 May 2007 04:42 #10 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Pond in a bucket
Neat idea, im sure the fish will be quite happy.

More
08 May 2007 09:53 #11 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Pond in a bucket
thats mad they be on the back of bin lorries next!!

You know yourself

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds