Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Baby Goldies

More
10 Sep 2012 15:36 #1 by theangryman (chris)
Just looking for a bit of advise

Have a pond full of baby Goldfish and I`m wondering should I leave them in there for the winter or take em out and let them get a bit of meat on themselves. I always leave the adults in the pond over winter but the size of these little guys, will they survive

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2012 21:36 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Baby Goldies
HI Chris,

Goldfish fry can be surprisingly hardy and a lot of them should survive winter in the pond as long as it’s not allowed to freeze over completely. It’s really a matter of personal choice and the availability of space to accommodate them in a tank indoors. If you have the space and a suitable tank, then by all means, move them indoors for the winter. The distinct advantage of spending winter in a tank is that their metabolism will not slow down and they will continue to feed and grow, so you will have larger fish come spring.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
10 Sep 2012 22:12 - 10 Sep 2012 22:13 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Baby Goldies
Bill's spot on here, those left in the pond should live, but not grow, whereas any brought indoors will continue to feed and grow.
You could compromise and bring some of the nicer ones in and leave the others to their own devices.
Incidentally, if you have tank space, the Autumn is always a good time to be buying pond fish as they are invariably marked down in price to clear the stocks. Keep them indoors feeding (room temperature would be fine, no need for a heater) and you'll have some well grown-on fish for the pond next Spring.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2012 22:13 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
10 Sep 2012 23:15 #4 by theangryman (chris)
Replied by theangryman (chris) on topic Baby Goldies
Thanks for the advise lads

The pond is about 3ft deep at it`s deepest part and other fish have survived the winter before, just was`nt too sure about these little guys
Might go 50/50 between pond and tank, would be interesting to see the size of both by next spring.

Thanks again

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
11 Sep 2012 07:42 #5 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Baby Goldies
Chris, my father in law left his fish out last year, not alot survived, pond is only 2ft at the deepest. I made up a tank for the shed for this year so hoping they all make it.

john

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
11 Sep 2012 09:46 #6 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

Might go 50/50 between pond and tank, would be interesting to see the size of both by next spring.

Chris

Now that would be interesting to see the difference :)

@jwm Be careful with tank in shed if we get a bad winter, an unheated shed mightn't provide enough insulation

More
11 Sep 2012 12:04 #7 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Baby Goldies

Chris

Now that would be interesting to see the difference :)

@jwm Be careful with tank in shed if we get a bad winter, an unheated shed mightn't provide enough insulation

Shed is insulated. Cheers

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
11 Sep 2012 15:19 - 11 Sep 2012 15:20 #8 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
@ jwm Thats great, in the real bad winter 2 years ago I lost most of my garden plants that were put into my (uninsulated) shed for the winter as I'd done for many years with no problems :(
fish were fine in pond though :)
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 15:20 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

More
11 Sep 2012 19:48 #9 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Baby Goldies
Sorry to highjack the thread a bit here, but as we're discussing tanks in sheds: I have one in the shed and want to see if daphnia will survive and maybe continue to breed through the winter. The shed is not insulated but I keep an airpump running 24/7 in the tank and hoping that the water will not freeze. Do yous think the airpump will prevent the water from freezing?

More
12 Sep 2012 10:17 #10 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
The airpump should prevent the water from freezing, once it doesn't get too cold outside.

If you had a large polystyrene box (friendly LFS should have spare)and put it around your daphnia setup, it would help to insulate it :)

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds