Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Odd goldfish behaviour

More
16 Oct 2012 22:09 - 16 Oct 2012 22:09 #1 by belueberry (E I)
One of my goldfish has spent all of today seemingly chasing its reflection in the same spot in the tank. I really do mean all day, he's hardly stopped. Here is a video, it's the redcap oranda. It has to be said that this fish was a bit more jumpy than the others right from the start.

Is this just confusion over the reflection? He hasn't been in this tank for long, do you think it's just settling in? Or, as is my fear, could it be flukes? I have seen him yawn but then again most of them do that (the tank is not fully cycled & water quality is an ongoing issue, I was advised to do a fish-in cycle rather than keep them in their previous tiny tank).

If this is flukes, what medication can I use that won't destroy the filter bacteria? (Actually I'd like to know the answer to that whether it's flukes this time or not).

Thanks.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 22:09 by belueberry (E I). Reason: video not working

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2012 22:25 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Odd goldfish behaviour
I'd say the Oranda is fine, no sign of flukes in my opinion.
Generally, with flukes the fish would show signs of irritation, rubbing the area affected against things. This fish isn't doing that, it's just concentrating on that end glass, possibly because it can see the inside of the tank beside it and fish aren't all that quick on the uptake, the glass it keeps going up and down shouldn't be there in its eyes. Have you ever seen a fly indoors which constantly crashes against the window in its efforts to get out?
I think your Red Cap is doing something similar.
Any other opinions?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Oct 2012 22:35 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I see a pretty healthy looking red cap.

If it does have anything wrong (other than any possible loopy psychology) then it is not showing in the video.

There could be one of 2 most likely possibilities......
it thinks the grass is greener on the other side (it will see the other tank as JohnH says), or
maybe it simply prefers the current flow in that area and then sees the greener grass (warmer as that could,?, be spotted by the fish)

As for a reflection....I don't imagine there is a reflection at all. What you see with the camera is a reflection because of the angle the camera is viewing it at. The bright lights from the adjacent tank would nullify that.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
16 Oct 2012 23:37 #4 by belueberry (E I)
Haha! Loopy psychology, you're probably right there.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the flukes.

Now if only I could convince the other fish not to copy the redcap! (At both ends of the tank too, the silly creatures!)

More
17 Oct 2012 10:04 #5 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
One of the joys of fishkeeping, watching the individual behavior of fish. No more than ourselves, there are charachters in the fish world :crazy: :crazy:

More
17 Oct 2012 11:25 #6 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Do you always put the food in at that end of the tank.
I find that if you always put the food in at the same side of the tank the fish tend to hang around that area most of the day if they are hungry.
If so try feeding at other places in the tank and maybe the redcap will get about more.
Just my thoughts.
Though I could also be going loopy :blink:

Greg

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2012 12:14 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Odd goldfish behaviour
Try placing an object in that spot to obstruct his/her behaviour to see if she/he moves to another area and continues the activity there.

Kev.

More
17 Oct 2012 15:17 #8 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Hi, I've seen this kind of behavior with my fish:

1- I moved tetras in a new tank and two of them kept going up and down the glass in the corner of the tank (like your goldfish) where they were able to see the older tank and their older tank mates.... maybe a coincidence? After a while they stopped, but occasionally they are still fascinated with the other tank, while the new fish in the same tank never gave any sign of interest.

2- Bigger fish would see smaller fish or fry in another tank and try to get to them... that was definitely not a coincidence :laugh:

Best would probably be as Kev said put a cardboard or something in between the tanks and observe what happens!

Hope this helps

More
17 Oct 2012 19:39 #9 by belueberry (E I)
Thanks for the tips.

I actually do scatter the food all over so that won't be to blame. The other fish are now intermittently exhibiting the same behaviour, although only some of them ever lived in that (now empty/fishless cycling) second tank. Paddy the redcap is still the main offender but I'm no longer worried. Maybe he thinks he sees something tasty in the other tank. I'll definitely try blocking off the view and see what happens.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds