Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Coldwater Tank - Starting from scratch

More
07 Nov 2012 11:47 #1 by prospect (Brian Kenny)
Hi Folks,

So I recently got a Fluval Edge 46L tank and have it set-up and ready to go.
It is a fresh coldwater tank so I am looking for advice on what to stock with.

I would like one or two live plants (one low growing at the front, and a taller growing plant for the back), and then a nice mix of fish.

I see that the Fluval manual suggests Barbs, but I also read that they may be too fond of the plants. Shrimp are another option, which would be cool.

I think I would be looking at about 12-15 fish for this tank, so possibly 3 groups of 4/5 fish?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2012 12:01 #2 by JohnH (John)
I'm afraid you're set for a bit of a disappointment, if you plan a coldwater tank there aren't very many tropical fish which will live in even moderately warm indoor temperatures.
If you do want tropicals you will need a small heater, they are comparatively inexpensive and for your small tank will not use an enormous amount of electricity.
These small 'decorative' tanks are really 'for show' and not at all practical for fishkeeping.

But, if you're determined to keep it as a coldwater tank about your only real option would be something like White Cloud Mountain Minnows - and the tank isn't altogether suited even for these - to be 'at their best' they really should be kept in a more spacious environment.

As I suggest, a small heater will be the way to go, then you can keep some of the smaller Barbs, like Chequer and Cherry Barbs, which will not drastically eat your intended plants.

Doubtless others will be able to make alternative suggestions as well.

Sorry to be the 'bringer of bad tidings'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 Nov 2012 12:05 #3 by jwm (sean sean)
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are a super little fish room temperature is grand for them, use the google machine for you tube some really nice simple set ups,i like this one "White Cloud Mountain Minnow Biotope".

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
07 Nov 2012 14:03 #4 by prospect (Brian Kenny)
Thanks for the input guys.

I have no major issue with using a small heater if that is what works out best.
And indeed, you are correct. I had a larger tank but decided to downsize to a more decorative tank, mostly because the kids love having the fish to watch.

I'll have a 'google' as you suggest John.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2012 14:06 - 07 Nov 2012 14:09 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Coldwater Tank - Starting from scratch

I have six here in Canada in a 10 Gallon, no Lights, hob Filter and only Room temperature, some Danios will be fine, just Google the temperature requirements of the various types. Some of the Barb Family could work too.

Kev.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2012 14:09 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
07 Nov 2012 14:19 #6 by jwm (sean sean)

I have six here in Canada in a 10 Gallon, no Lights, hob Filter and only Room temperature, some Danios will be fine, just Google the temperature requirements of the various types. Some of the Barb Family could work too.

Kev.

Google it or wait for some young compouter wizz kid to stick up the link.... :)

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
07 Nov 2012 19:04 #7 by damp squid (sean)
Hi, I have a fluval edge 46L too. (likewise downgraded the tank)

A small heater is the way to go. (maxizoo in Tallaght had all Fluval edge products reduced to less than half price 2 months ago, so I got the essentials for a great price)

Have a mixture of white cloud minnows, hill stream loach and neon tetra's. Have it planted as well.

From experience locate the plants in an easy to reach location, especially if you want to remove dead leaves or cut them off etc. (I have to use a ladder to get access to the tank as it is on a stand :blush: ).

More
07 Nov 2012 21:02 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There is a bit of a difference between an unheated tank and coldwater tank.

There is also a difference between true coldwater fish and fish that are able to tolerate cooler conditions.

To be honest, many of the species that are truly coldwater fish can be tricky to keep and that includes some tropical coldwater fish as well (some of which can be some of the very tricky fish).

For an unheated tank, you'd need to see what the minimum winter night temperature is in the room.

Our front room, for example, is rather warm all year round and so many of my tanks do not have a heater....and those that do are generally the ones requiring 28 to 30 C.
Even without a heater, I find that some tropical fish find our front room way too hot to cope and thus have to be kept where the temperature will not rise above 18 C.
(I do not however advise keeping tropical fish that have a max temp requirement of around 18 to 20 C as they are fiendishly difficult to keep alive for long....so be careful when looking at 'cool' requiring fish).

As said by the posters above, a small heater will open up a large set of opportunities.

I am wondering if the OP is thinking of fancy goldfish etc in the mix?

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds