Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mildly amusing OH story

More
09 Nov 2012 21:38 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Probably not in the right place but though I would share.

So in LFS recently and saw Pleco in cold water tank, thought that's cool didn't know could get Pleco for my cold tank so bought one. So got him/her home an they quickly got named wally, yeah as in where's ...

So few days later get call from other half with bad news for me, wally is floating upside down at top of tank very sad.

Turns out he was eating off the horizontal glass at top of tank.

OK so looking at it in type maybe not even mildly amusing, perhaps someone can save the thread with something funny

Dec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2012 23:38 - 09 Nov 2012 23:39 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
3 Points of note:

1. Was it you who named the fish "Wally"? :whistle:
2. If it wasn't then shame on you for letting your OH give the fish a name (that is fatal man). :crazy:
3. Poor fish was not sexed and might be having a gender crisis over being called 'Wally'.....maybe it was upside down trying to show you "look....I'm a girl !!!"

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2012 23:39 by igmillichip (ian millichip).

More
10 Nov 2012 02:08 #3 by JohnH (John)
Wallhemina, perhaps?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
10 Nov 2012 10:56 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Wallhemina, perhaps?

John

Trust one person to justify calling a female fish "wally" :)

More
10 Nov 2012 10:58 - 10 Nov 2012 10:59 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Oh the fish naming precedent was set early. Wife and kids bought the goldies for Father's Day and they had names before they left the LFS.

The 2 comets are here to stay and god help me if anything happens to them, wife pretends disinterest both I get phone calls telling me things like, something's up with the fish they are not swimming about as much as usual.

I'm kinda relieved no came back with, cold water Pleco! No such thing :)

Oh and thanks Ian now I'm gonna be googling how to sex a Pleco :unsure:

Cheers
Dec
Last edit: 10 Nov 2012 10:59 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
10 Nov 2012 11:09 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Oh the fish naming precedent was set early. Wife and kids bought the goldies for Father's Day and they had names before they left the LFS.

The 2 comets are here to stay and god help me if anything happens to them, wife pretends disinterest both I get phone calls telling me things like, something's up with the fish they are not swimming about as much as usual.

I'm kinda relieved no came back with, cold water Pleco! No such thing :)

Oh and thanks Ian now I'm gonna be googling how to sex a Pleco :unsure:

Cheers
Dec

Be warned.....take care on what words you use on that google search........you may find images popping up all over your computer that could render the faithful OH "Kitchen Pleco" being swung around the back of your head. :D

I will partially admit, though, that some of our fish do have names and some of the tanks also have names. !....... we have a Mr Pacs Tank, and a Multi-Pacs Tank, a Mini Leps Tank (that tank has small leopard bush fish in it) etc etc......yeah my OH names the fish.

It is good that your OH is secretly interested......there's room for exploiting that ya know, Auntie Ian knows these things.

ian

More
10 Nov 2012 12:20 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
The OH was sad or the pleco ?
Taking Ians point 3, maybe he wasnt excited at her presence as he is a she.
Does she usually like the fish to show their "excitement" to her ? She was being flashed and the water is cold.
Perhaps she fancies herself as a mermaid.

More
11 Nov 2012 20:50 #8 by belueberry (E I)
You'd wanna be careful mixing plecos and goldfish. Really only rubber nose and bristle nose plecos are compatible. Other types are well known to enjoy sucking off goldies' slime coat if/when their algae supply runs out (and if/when they develop a taste for slime coat).

As for the name Wally - I like it, you'd be embarrassed to hear the ridiculous names our goldfish have...

More
11 Nov 2012 23:17 - 11 Nov 2012 23:21 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmmm checked that with LFS who had them with goldfish in the shop. naive again I think

Edit
rubber nose or bristle nose, I'll ask in the shop maybe I'll get lucky and someone will know what they sold me.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2012 23:21 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
12 Nov 2012 00:05 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Names put on some fish are a bit dodgy at times, are you sure these are not Beaufortia, Sewellia or Psuedogastromyzon type fish?

More
12 Nov 2012 00:08 #11 by belueberry (E I)
True enough. I've seen these kinds labelled as "cold water plecos".

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds