Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Possibly odd goldfish behaviour

More
10 Nov 2012 19:01 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

The last 2 days my 2 comets have been very inactive, they are usually very active swimming all over the tank but they are now spending most of the time in the corner behind the filter pretty much motionless. They are feeding OK.

Is this normal winter behaviour? Or something odd?

Thx
Dec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2012 20:42 - 11 Nov 2012 20:43 #2 by belueberry (E I)
What temperature is the water? Under 10 degrees Celsius goldfish will go into a torpor or hibernation (this is normal). If the tank is indoors in your living room or something though I'd doubt it was that cold. That they are feeding well would further go against this idea.

Other than that it could be any number of things, from water quality to illness to who knows what. If it's not due to very cold water, bottom sitting in goldfish is a sign of illness of some kind (dropsy, parasites etc). Check for pineconing of the scales.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2012 20:43 by belueberry (E I). Reason: clarification

More
11 Nov 2012 21:01 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thanks for the reply I'll have a close look and try to upload a pic.

More
11 Nov 2012 21:12 #4 by belueberry (E I)
In light of your other thread about the new pleco in this tank, the possibility of the pleco having either introduced something or having physically hurt the goldfish in some way has also occurred to me.

More
11 Nov 2012 21:49 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
My thinking also re the pleco, first thing I thought was what has changed and it would be the new pleco and the recent colder weather although the temp at the moment is 21 C but I assume it is getting colder than that overnight. I don't have a quarantine tank so pleco went from LFS to tank after some acclimatization kinda trusted the LFS to have ensured the fish was healthy, naive perhaps.

Here is the best I could do for photos

Thx again
Dec
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2012 21:58 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
should have said pleco is about 3-4cm would physical harm be a possibility from a fish this small compared to the goldfish about 8-10cm

More
11 Nov 2012 22:23 #7 by joemc (joe mc)
Idon't know much about goldfish but both the ones in the picture look ill, clamping of fins and a sort of greyish hue over the fish, maybe iyt is the photo maybe not, can you test your water or get a local shop to test it for you, maybe test for ammonia nitrate and nitrite for starters

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
11 Nov 2012 22:23 - 11 Nov 2012 22:33 #8 by belueberry (E I)
It won't be dropping below 10 at night if it's 21 during the day. 10 feels painfully icy to your hand. If you turn the heating off in the fish room at night it wouldn't drop more than a couple of degrees anyway. But I don't think that's your problem here. These fish are ill and I think this could have been brewing for a while.

I see clamping of fins on both of them, more so on the common (red/white one) than on the shubunkin (calico/tricolour one), and both have fin damage. Again the common is worse off, with a frayed tail, but the shubunkin also has a split in one of the pectorals. I'm seeing white spot on the tail of the common - but it could just be the camera angle and lighting making fin deterioration look that way. I think they have fin rot.

Maybe the pleco introduced something, maybe not. At the sizes you've specified it's definitely big enough to suck slime coat off them, especially if they're spending a lot of time hovering motionless. But I don't think this is the main problem.

Many LFS, if not most, source their goldfish from the fish equivalent of puppy farms in south-east Asia, where welfare and breeding standards are not what we would like. They are not bred with any kind of care because they are not expected to be the kind of fish that serious fish keepers buy. They are largely bought for kids by parents who hope the fish will not live much longer than the kids' interest in them. These are basically low-quality stock which is not quarantined, treated or screened for any kind of infection such as white spot, fin rot, worms or what have you.

Now, I couldn't possibly say for sure if this applies to your own LFS but these fish are ill, and the symptoms they have point to stress and poor immune systems. It might have come from the pleco, it might have been there beforehand and the stress of adding the pleco just brought on the symptoms, or it might just be a coincidence. If the pleco injured them I might be wondering whether it was a case of it opportunistically picking on sick fish.

So here's the crux of the matter. You can use simple treatments such as performing regular 50-80% water changes, salting the tank water (make sure the salt you use does not contain any additives or anti-caking agents as this will poison the fish) or putting a raw chilli in a bit of tights material in the water but to be honest I think without antibiotics (which will kill your filter bacteria) these fish will die in fairly short order. You will need to decide whether you want to go down this path because it will be costly and you'll probably struggle to find a vet who knows what they're doing with goldfish, or who gives a hoot for that matter.

Here is a webpage which gives the info you need in a nutshell. You can find many more by Googling "fin rot goldfish". You might also look into white spot (also known as ich or ick) treatments just in case. aquadaily.com/2009/01/26/fin-rot-symptoms-and-treatment/

Sorry I couldn't help more.

ETA: You could try one of the over the counter fin rot treatments sometimes sold in LFSs if you wanted but I'm not sure how effective they will be or if anything will be available to you.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2012 22:33 by belueberry (E I).

More
11 Nov 2012 22:46 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
quote:Sorry I couldn't help more.

you have been very helpful, not the best news but very useful none the less. I'll look for suitable aquarium salt and/or fin rot treatment. I'll also get the water tested and do a few water changes next week a bit bigger than usual, which is normally 15% a week.

Thanks
Dec

More
11 Nov 2012 22:51 #10 by belueberry (E I)
I'd be going with 80% water changes once or twice a week while they're sick. Actually 50% or more is probably necessary anyway with goldfish, sick or not. They are a lot dirtier than other fish.

I'm no expert myself - I've just been reading up and studying a lot since we got our fish not so long ago and made some silly newbie errors - but if you ever want to PM me with a goldfish problem please do feel free.

More
11 Nov 2012 23:09 #11 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Yeah new to this and thought I had made most of the mistakes at this point but not noticing the state of my calico's tail is a pretty big one.

I'll let you know how they get on.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds