Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Goldfish and anubias

More
07 Apr 2013 15:15 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I am getting a bit tired of the artificial plant in my goldfish tank and was considering moving a piece of bogwood with an established anubias from the tropical tank to the cold tank.

What are the chances that the plant will survive the cold and/or the fish?

Thanks
Dec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2013 18:45 #2 by Mike53 (Michael)
I'd give it a go, its a very hardy plant, but you could always stick some cold water plants in as well there's plenty around.

More
07 Apr 2013 19:25 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@Mike53 yeah why not it can always go back to the other tank if they try to eat it

More
07 Apr 2013 22:11 - 07 Apr 2013 22:12 #4 by belueberry (E I)
Dunno about the cold but my goldfish never went near the anubias - 3 of them in the tank. In fact my goldfish never touched almost any of their plants, except for egeria densa and cabomba. Don't bother with cabomba though, it's too messy, clogs the filter and mucks up the water. Egeria densa can be good because grows so fast it cancels out the nibbling. Kinda ratty-looking though.

Give it a try, sure why not?

Edit: Sorry, I misread it, I thought you were talking about putting the anubias outdoors in the cold, like in a pond. It will be fine in the tank.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 22:12 by belueberry (E I).

More
08 Apr 2013 17:55 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx belueberry

If your goldies don't eat your plants maybe I will get a new t5 and try a few plants. I had that cabomba, the LFS said it would grow fast and in fairness it did, messy though.

More
08 Apr 2013 19:52 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
cabomba is lovely but hard to grow well and if conditions aren't ideal it sheds it's lower leaves faster than a christmas tree!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
08 Apr 2013 20:16 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
The cabomba did its job for me. I needed fast growth to compete against the algae it is a bit crowded now as I have added just about everything that the LFS had to see how it looked and grew. The next tank may be a bit more organised, there's always a next tank right!

More
09 May 2013 12:02 #8 by derekdoom (Derek)
My goldfish have eaten four live plants in six months, there's been two anubias in there now for about four months and they they're still going strong. There are one or two bits taken out of them but nothing serious. I keep my water at about 20/21 degrees.

More
09 May 2013 15:48 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx Derek
I have had the Anubias in ther for a bit now and it gets an occasional bite taken out of it but it must taste awful cause they pretty much leave it alone. I don't use light in this tank but it gets some daylight and I stick some easycarbo in when I think of it a few times a week and plant has some new growth, nothing like the growth in the tropical obviously.

I'm considering trying lots of plants when I upgrade to a bigger tank

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds