Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Noob needs help cycling tank

More
25 Apr 2013 15:38 #1 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Help me please!

My goal being to get a couple of fancy goldfish, I started my tank cycling on 1st March, using prawns from Tesco.

I have 90 liter tank, with an airpump hooked up to an airstone and an azoo oxygen bio filter 2. The only thing I have watched is the temp and it fluctuates between 12 and 15 degrees. Otherwise, I have pretty much ignored it and left it to do it's thing.

Two weeks ago- at week 6 stage- I tested the water using a nutrafin mini master test kit, (best before date of kit is October 2013.)

Result for pH was between 7.5 and 8, ammonia 7.3 mg/l, nitrite 0.3 mg/l and nitrate 5 mg/l.

I tested again this morning - week 8- and the results have not changed at all in the two weeks. I tested my tap water separately and the result for pH is 7, and zero for the other three tests, so I don't think the test kit is the problem.

What have I done wrong? Should I have been doing water changes? Should I be adding or taking out the prawns? Is the tank too cold? Should I be using a different filter?

Any help you can give me will be very welcome. I have been lurking on the forums for a few months now and I am so jealous of the lovely fish I am looking at, I cannot wait to get my little goldies!

Thanks.

(BTW in case you're looking back on my posts and wondering WTF I'm at, I had previously set up the tank to cycle in January, but had to move the tank and was away for a few weeks, so that effort was given up.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2013 19:04 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
If you are still adding prawns, then stop.

Do a careful water change (say 50%) using a dechlorinating conditioner.

Then test water, and re-test in a few days time.

I would also recommend adding some "bacteria in a bottle" (or filter start) to seed the tank in case it is not seeded with enough bacteria to work on the bio-load.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 Apr 2013 20:17 #3 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Will do the water change in the morning.

I added prawns once when I started it off, and have left them undisturbed in the tank. Should I remove what is left of them when I do the water change?

Is there a particular filter start you would recommend?

Thank you very much for your help.

More
25 Apr 2013 22:29 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Take the prawn out.

There are loads of "filter start" or "bacteria in a bottle" products on the market.

The principle of using them is sound, but some are better than others.

Commonly available ones are JBL filter start, NutraFin Cycle, and Tetra SafeStart. I've tested all, and they do a job to an extent.

You still need to be careful with stocking, feeding and water changes in the early days.

I am a little concerned with the high ammonia as ammonia kills the biological filter bacteria at elevated concentrations.

What you need to observe is the ammonia going down. If it isn't then something else is wrong....and that could be due to the ammonia being too high OR even that the alkalinity of the water is not sufficient to support the biological filter.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
26 Apr 2013 16:51 #5 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
I did a water change this morning, and added NutraFin Cycle this evening.

Will probably test on Monday. Thanks for your help

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds