Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How to make fish happy after move?

More
21 Jul 2013 23:17 #1 by zuda (Zuda)
Ok, all going well I will be getting a new tank during week coming with fish, it is a lovely setup. I would like to be ready, so how do I make sure the fish are comfortable, happy and not stressed? Another thing it has a plec in it which looks a bit too big so what do i do with it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 23:33 - 21 Jul 2013 23:33 #2 by JohnH (John)
Plecos can be - and often are - a problem.

You could try offering it here for sale (when you reach the 'magical' ten-post limit) but I've noticed that in the past they don't seem to get many takers.

Another option would be to ask the Fish Shops in your area if any of those will take it off your hands...

As to making the fish comfortable and not stressed my suggestion would be (and this is going to sound pretty strange) to feed them very little and do almost daily 15-20% water changes with treated water until the filtration system gets back to full 'speed'. I'm assuming you'll be using the filter from this established tank?
If so try to not let it stay inoperative for any longer than it takes for you to get it home. Even if you run it in a large container of water (preferably from the tank) this will help. Even more so would be if you could save a percentage of the water from the tank and refill it into the tank once you have it set up this would help you also.

If you don't have one may I respectfully suggest you buy a good water-testing kit and monitor the progress of the water until it stabilises.

Does anyone have other suggestions to help Zuda?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2013 23:33 by JohnH (John). Reason: Modification

More
21 Jul 2013 23:43 #3 by zuda (Zuda)
I have the APi test kit so will test as soon as fish settled in tank. their tank is coming with them and filter system too so same environment for fish and I will try to save as much of their water as possible from original setup

More
22 Jul 2013 22:33 #4 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Hi,
You did not mention what size the new tank is.
You can rent 25Ltr containers from Seahorse for 5€ each to help transport the water.
When you are finished with them you simply return the containers to Seahorse and get your deposit back.

Also if possible try to get the external filter setup quickly so that the bacteria built up does not die off.
You could add a booster bacteria dose to the tank once setup to help the filter settle in quickly.

Keep us updated on your progress and post some pictures when setup.

Best of luck.

Greg

More
23 Jul 2013 20:41 - 23 Jul 2013 21:14 #5 by zuda (Zuda)
Fish arrived tank is 2ft long x 1ft wide x 1ft high so about 54 litres I think.

There are 2 goldfish, 2 zebra danios and a pleco. One looks like a fantail goldfish and the other a common goldfish. One of the zebra danios has a rounder shape the the other Unfortunately despite me asking and the former owners agreeing they didnt save much of the aquarium water so I had a couple of gallons dechlorinated and have done the best I could.

Anyhow the fish arrived in ashopping bag with about 2 pints of water. I let them settle for about 20 minutes then started filling the bag with tank water adn eventually got them into tank. I added stress coat to the water. On seeing them out of the bag, I think I have a veiltail and a common goldfish. the common goldfish appears to have a small tear/hole in dorsal fin (one on his back must get my fish books out again) and the veiltail has blood in the tail, could have been damaged during transport they were in a small space. these are sick fishes so advice welcome. they are swimming happily around the tank and at the moment are sitting in the cornenr next to me going when will you feed us if i move they move too. the pleco is alternating between sucking on the filter and having a swim, whilst the sebra danios are swimming about.

So what to do about the blood and hole before thses fish get really sick?

ok talking to prev owners appears to be old injury
So
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 21:14 by zuda (Zuda).

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds