Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick little pearlscale!

More
02 Aug 2013 20:50 #1 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
A couple of weeks ago I bought a small pearlscale goldfish because I felt sorry for him! In the shop tank I could see that his claudal fin was torn and the first spine of his dorsal fin was broken. Also his scales are damaged along both sides, and are smooth without the "pearls."

Since I brought him home, he has been on his own in a 50l tank. There is an azoo oxygen 2 filter, and an airstone. Up to two days ago, he was lively, and swimming around the whole tank, and eating all that was offered to him (peas and Tetra Japan Gold pellets,) and to be honest, he looked like such a sad little specimen in the shop tank I am surprised he lasted the journey home. He is white on the right side of his body and gold on the left side, so I've called him Oddball.

For most of the last two days, he has been hanging at the back of the tank at mid water level, above and to the left of the airstone. Occasionally, every hour or so, he will take a slow swim around one end of the tank and to the surface before returning to the same spot. He has not eaten yesterday or today. (Uneaten food has been taken out of the tank.)

Water is 22 deg C, pH 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5, measured using a nutrafin mini master test kit.

What am I doing that I shouldn't? What else can I do? Any advice is hugely appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2013 10:30 - 03 Aug 2013 10:40 #2 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Oddball was dead when I looked in the tank this morning.

Not at all surprised, and this was the outcome that I expected when I bought him, but I am devastated. I hope that I didn't add to his suffering along the way.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2013 10:40 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney).

More
04 Aug 2013 08:31 #3 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
22 degrees seems on the high side for goldfish, but I'd say that fish was on a one way trip before you bought him

More
04 Aug 2013 08:51 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

22 degrees seems on the high side for goldfish, but I'd say that fish was on a one way trip before you bought him

Doubt it was the temp. Goldfish usually need around 22 degrees for a number of weeks before they'll breed so it'd be unlikely to harm ine

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Aug 2013 10:18 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Water changes? :unsure:
Your lfs should not have sold you a sick fish. If anything it should have been free but I still don't think it should have left the shop in that state!! In fairness to you ye tried more than I would have so don't beat youself up too much but personally I'd be wary of that shop!!! :evil:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
04 Aug 2013 11:03 - 04 Aug 2013 11:06 #6 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Thanks everyone.

Doubt it was the temp. Goldfish usually need around 22 degrees for a number of weeks before they'll breed so it'd be unlikely to harm ine

Confuse me why don't ye?!?

If 22 is too high should I be trying to cool my other tank now? I don't have a heater, 22 deg is my room temp, and it was up to 27 deg at one point during our heatwave (I was actually relieved to see is as "low" as 22!) I'm away three days a week so I had decided that the fish were better off with a consistent temp rather than dealing with four days cool and three days hot in rotation. I have someone who can call in to feed them and do water changes, but I don't think that they could manage multiple visits a day to replace cool water bottles.

Water changes? :unsure:
Your lfs should not have sold you a sick fish. If anything it should have been free but I still don't think it should have left the shop in that state!! In fairness to you ye tried more than I would have so don't beat youself up too much but personally I'd be wary of that shop!!! :evil:

Because he wasn't well, myself and my mate were doing an approx 8% change (4l container fresh water into 50l tank) and checking water every morning.

And, I felt so so sorry for him in the shop I couldn't leave him! He was the one fancy in a tank with two common goldfish, which I guess is why the fins were ripped. BTW it isn't a local shop, he survived a four hour journey home which surprised me! I really won't be near the place again, and I cannot honestly tell you why I walked in there to begin with.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2013 11:06 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney).

More
04 Aug 2013 11:26 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
well, with regard to the temp. my dad has a "pond" in his greenhouse and every summer the temp in the room regularly rises to almost 40 degrees (the water being cooler) and drops right down at night. the happily breed and have been healthy and strong for years

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Aug 2013 12:52 #8 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
That is very reassuring, thank you!

More
10 Aug 2013 19:36 #9 by derekdoom (Derek)
20 degrees is perfect for a fancy goldfish, I actually keep mine higher,amongst other things it helps the floaty ones with digestion.

Kudos on taking care of him for his last few days , I almost took a poorly looking one-eyed pearl scale from a shop recently but my quarantine tank was already occupied and I'm a little overstocked.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds