Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Celestial with a deformed mouth

More
14 Oct 2013 10:26 #1 by derekdoom (Derek)
I bought a few fancy goldfish at Seahorse over the weekend and brought this little celestial home on account of how cute and minuscule he was. We've decided to call him crazy eyes. I bought him with two much larger fish ( a calico pearlscale and white lionhead).

It wasn't until I went to feed them in the quarantine tank however that I noticed he had a deformed mouth. It seems to only open on one side and he has to be positioned in a very particular way to be able to get at food (which he only seems to be able to eat from the base of the tank). He also lists a little bit to one side when he swims (it's not a SB issue, just a kind of funny 'gait' if a fish can have one).

I'm quite concerned about putting him in my main tank now, I knew he would be dwarfed by the other fish but hadn't figured on the mouth issue, I still don't know if he will be able to accept food from the surface or compete with the others (this might explain he tiny size relative to his tank mates in the shop)

Just wondering if anybody had any experience with fish that have these kinds of deformities? What kind of special treatment do they need, are they able to thrive?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2013 10:54 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I think if he has issues eatting your going to have to keep a close eye on him to ensure he is actually getting enough food to sustain himself!
I would think, a bit of competition for food may cause him issues and he may have to be housed alone for the majority of his life.....

He looks like a nice guy, and normally the kinda fish i end up bringing home to make sure he gets proper care and isnt overlooked as a "unhealthy" specimen

let us know how you get on with him and how he develops whatever you decide to do with him

More
14 Oct 2013 13:47 #3 by derekdoom (Derek)
I will do.

My initial impulse was that of an angry consumer's but then I thought "how can I bring this poor little fella back", he'd have much more competition in a shop tank.

He's sprightly enough considering.

He has a few more weeks in quarantine, hopefully keeping him fed in the main tank won't be too challenging.

I wonder could I get him a breeder box and coax him into that every few days to make sure he gets food? That might be preferable to keeping him alone.

I'll keep the thread updated in any case.

More
14 Oct 2013 17:07 #4 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Every freakin' time i go into a fish shop I get the urge to bring home the sick/deformed fish to protect it and make sure it has as good a life as possible- brought one sick fish home and it broke my heart when it died! Was also watching a little red cap oranda with a deformed mouth locally and came very close to bringing him home before he disappeared from the shop tank, presumably sold. Good luck with your little fella and keep us posted.

I wonder would a tablet like tetra tabimin make it easier for him to get his share at the bottom, while you feed the others else where in the tank?i have one little oranda that has a problem fighting her way to the pellets, but seems to get a better share from the tablet. I also feed sera spirulina tablets occasionally. When you stick them to the glass everyone seems to get an equal share.

BTW I thought it was a bad idea to feed goldfish at the surface? Just wondering.

More
14 Oct 2013 17:25 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Keep him on his own for a bit I'd say untill he's use to grabbing food and then I'd probably add another fish or 2 to see how he fairs out. He only looks young so do doing it slowly will hopefully bring him to a stage where he won't go without... that would be my advice anyways but I wouldn't be a fan of keeping pond fish in a tank long term.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Nov 2013 16:58 #6 by derekdoom (Derek)
Hey guys

'Crazy eyes' - as I've called him - is doing fine. He's in my main tank now and gets along fine with the other fish. He doesn't hand feed yet or even come up to the surface much - he managed it once but then promptly forgot, so for now I have to stick my hand in and put the food right in his face unless it's something that sinks immediately to the bottom.

I'm sure he'll learn though.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds