Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Are Hillstream loaches coldwater?

More
04 Nov 2013 15:47 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm just asking because I'm setting up a Hillstream tank and I want to know how low to set the temp. Anything I read about them says 20-23oC which to my mind isn't cold water, it's what I'd consider more subtropical

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2013 15:55 #2 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
they are best around 20 to 22 I think so defo not cold water , and they love fast water ! the rapids man , the rapids

More
04 Nov 2013 16:03 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The definition of "tropical" or "coldwater" are a bit fuzzy anyway, and it is a bit like something being either purple or made of concrete.

Really, the fish should be described in terms of temperature zones. There are a number of tropical fish that require rather cool temperatures (between 14 and 18 C)....so a tropical fish can be a coldwater/cool water fish.

As for hillstream loaches, they are tropicals kept at cooler temperatures.
The main point being, however, that oxygen levels are high.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Nov 2013 16:47 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

they are best around 20 to 22 I think so defo not cold water , and they love fast water ! the rapids man , the rapids

Oh the rapids they'll be a-gettin'! I'm aiming for a tank turnover of 20-30 times an hour :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Nov 2013 16:49 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

The definition of "tropical" or "coldwater" are a bit fuzzy anyway, and it is a bit like something being either purple or made of concrete.

Really, the fish should be described in terms of temperature zones. There are a number of tropical fish that require rather cool temperatures (between 14 and 18 C)....so a tropical fish can be a coldwater/cool water fish.

As for hillstream loaches, they are tropicals kept at cooler temperatures.
The main point being, however, that oxygen levels are high.

ian

So is anything lower than 20oC too cold for most of them?

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds