Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Beaufortia leveretti

More
21 Nov 2013 14:11 #31 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

hows your gold fishes doing....

They are being their cute adorable little selves as usual, thanks for asking.

We had a weigh and measure session yesterday evening- Sushi, my "red cap ryukin" (yea, I know!) has added 50% to his weight since Tripod, died a month ago- you can almost see him grow as you look at him! A couple of weeks ago I had started segregating him at feeding time to make sure that the others get to eat, because he took over the job as "big bully of the tank" so I know he hasn't being overeating. He is now four times the weight as when he was given to me in August, 7g increase to 28g.

(My auld lad wishes he could fatten cattle that well!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2013 20:50 #32 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
So the Beaufortia Leveretti I was looking at...

...aren't. Are we really surprised?

I have been days trying to figure this out, but I think they are either Pseudogastromyzon Myersi, as seen here , or else Pseudogastromyzon Cheni, as here

Can't get a good photo in the shop tank to show you. But the descriptions for these fit the fish better than what I have found for Beaufortia Leveretti.

Requirements look similar, so "same same but different!"

Now if I could decide which of the two species I am looking at.

More
23 Nov 2013 21:23 #33 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Welcome to the fun of identifying hill stream loaches:D

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 Nov 2013 22:01 #34 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: fun times!

But actually it has been very interesting! Thinking of putting them in the 50l with the new powerheads I have ordered, while I rearrange the 100l to take this river tank manifold design and moving them in there when it cycles and grows algae again. What d'ya think?

More
23 Nov 2013 22:10 #35 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: fun times!

But actually it has been very interesting! Thinking of putting them in the 50l with the new powerheads I have ordered, while I rearrange the 100l to take this river tank manifold design and moving them in there when it cycles and grows algae again. What d'ya think?

I've heard a lot about that setup and it seems like a really good idea. I'm just using a powerhead and a good strong filter on my new set up, but that's partly for aesthetics

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Nov 2013 22:15 #36 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
Out of curiosity, where else did you hear? I'd love to read up more. That link was the first place I came across it and I am dying to set it up.

More
23 Nov 2013 22:26 #37 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
probably the same stuff you have. the manifold design is something I read early on too. it seems to have been popularised on a few other sites as well. the main thing with them seems to be high levels of O2. I think very high flow is optional but facilitates oxygenation (as does cooler water) but from what I've read they seem to actively enjoy fast flowing water

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
24 Nov 2013 01:07 #38 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That set-up is ace.....it needs a bit of work to align things..........AND.....and....wait for it.....it can serve as an excellence undergravel filter as well. Win-Win. ;) :cool:

As for the exact ID of the fish.....well, to be quitre honest, how many people actually have a correct ID on their hillstream loaches.

Forget looking at google images as well.......they are only any use if you know exactly what a particular species looks like in the first place.

ian

More
24 Nov 2013 01:15 - 24 Nov 2013 01:17 #39 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

That set-up is ace.....it needs a bit of work to align things..........AND.....and....wait for it.....it can serve as an excellence undergravel filter as well. Win-Win. ;) :cool:

Ohhhhh...... :woohoo: How would it need to be modified to be an undergravel filter? Drill holes in the lengths of the tubing? Along with sponges or in place of sponges?

As for the exact ID of the fish.....well, to be quitre honest, how many people actually have a correct ID on their hillstream loaches.

The obsessive compulsive in me will not accept that! :crazy:

Forget looking at google images as well.......they are only any use if you know exactly what a particular species looks like in the first place.

ian

Yes, I figured that out. God bless the Internet! :hammer:
Last edit: 24 Nov 2013 01:17 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney). Reason: Spelling

More
24 Nov 2013 01:54 #40 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Ohhhhh...... :woohoo: How would it need to be modified to be an undergravel filter? Drill holes in the lengths of the tubing? Along with sponges or in place of sponges?

The obsessive compulsive in me will not accept that! :crazy:

ian

Yes, I figured that out. God bless the Internet! :hammer:

Drill holes in the tubes and cover with pebbles and gravel......U/G filter.

You will need to use the scientific paper I gave as that is the only source of ID for these.....andything else is either out of date or wrong or fortuitously correct in view of no change in the description in the review from last year.

ian

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds