Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond fish not sleeping!!!!!

More
13 Jan 2014 16:55 #1 by theangryman (chris)
Hello Everybody

Not sure about the rest of the country but down here we haven't gotten much of a Winter so far, lots of stormy weather and rain over the past few weeks but in general noting in the way of a cold spell and my pond fish are still happily swimming around, a bit slower than usual but none the less active.Usually at this time of year I haven't seen them for a while and wouldn't see them for another few weeks at least,so should I give them food now? or leave them be? I stopped feeding them about a month ago and wouldn't normally start again until Feb March but as I say they usually wouldn't be as active as they are this year, any ideas???thoughts??

Regards

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2014 17:21 #2 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hello Everybody

Not sure about the rest of the country but down here we haven't gotten much of a Winter so far, lots of stormy weather and rain over the past few weeks but in general noting in the way of a cold spell and my pond fish are still happily swimming around, a bit slower than usual but none the less active.Usually at this time of year I haven't seen them for a while and wouldn't see them for another few weeks at least,so should I give them food now? or leave them be? I stopped feeding them about a month ago and wouldn't normally start again until Feb March but as I say they usually wouldn't be as active as they are this year, any ideas???thoughts??

Regards

Chris

Don't know too much about pond fish but if they are active they are using nutrients and will need some food....what would the harm be in feeding them a little before the winter sets in, if it sets in!

More
13 Jan 2014 18:21 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
Dont know about pond fish, but ive an apple tree in bloom, now I believe in global warming :silly:

More
13 Jan 2014 18:43 #4 by JohnH (John)
Chris,
The perceived wisdom on this subject is that all the carp-based pond fish will eat at lower temperatures but are not able to digest any of what they eat until the water (and therefore the fish) reaches 50deg f (not sure what that is in euros).
So therefore whatever they eat passes right through them undigested.
This then causes problems with the water quality.
It is generally accepted that a wheat-germ based food is OK to feed them on at milder times in the winter months though (although I really don't know why).
Perhaps someone with better knowledge on this issue can explain this further.

Very personally I stop feeding my pond fish around the end of September and do not resume until mid-March. I don't go out checking the water with a thermometer though - just when the air temperature starts to get 'comfortable'. All of which isn't really following the perceived advice, but they seem to be growing and are certainly thriving.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds