Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond fish are spawning

More
03 Jul 2014 12:13 #1 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Probably not the 1st time spawing but this time I put in a mop head and some cotton wool into the pond and ive a heap of eggs on them, should i move the eggs into a smaller heated aquarium?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2014 12:22 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Pond fish are spawning
I personally think a heated environment would be a bit 'uncomfortable' for the eggs, although the Aquarist magazine's resident coldwater guru - Arthur Boarder used to swear by it.
If you had the tank indoors I should think room temperature would be more than sufficient. Are they eggs from goldfish or Koi?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Jul 2014 16:24 #3 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Im not 100% sure John, I have a few Koi, goldfish and comets, chances are probably more on the goldfish side, or a mixture, they were all flying around, at the moment I have them all in a bucket of water from the pond, i took out the plants they were on and also removed all the ones from the mop head

More
09 Jul 2014 08:41 #4 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Looks like the eggs were viable, A few fry started emerging last night, probably around 20 so far, I reckon I'm gonna have to get a cheap tank if if they are to survive, I've a small 20 litre but I reckon it would be far to small, I'd take pics but they are pretty much transparent

More
09 Jul 2014 09:00 #5 by JohnH (John)
That's excellent news, I don't want to put a dampener on things but if you get a good deal more than the 20-odd you have now you might need (as you suggest) a larger tank.
Presumably you are only letting these grow a bit before returning them to your pond?
This might work out an expensive few weeks - maybe someone could give you the loan of a larger tank - plus an air pump and filter?
Where are you situated? - this could be significant if someone was prepared to lend you these things.
John

ITFS member.

More
09 Jul 2014 09:12 #6 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Hi John, I'm in Naas, I'll have a look in the for sale section, I May aswell set one up in the garage as It would probably come in handy if I ever have a sick fish etc

More
09 Jul 2014 17:59 #7 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Yep defo looking for a tank, just home from work and there must be easily 1 to 2 hundred now :blush:

More
09 Jul 2014 18:03 - 10 Jul 2014 11:19 #8 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
A quick pic
File Attachment:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2014 11:19 by dshamrock2000 (Dave).

More
09 Jul 2014 18:14 #9 by JohnH (John)

A quick pic

Try this tutorial:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...ng-pictures-on-posts

If that fails you can send me your pic(s) to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mark it as 'non-competition' and I'll get it added for you.

John

ITFS member.

More
12 Jul 2014 20:42 #10 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
1st off I would like to thank the member that offered me a superb tank for the fry(you know who you are), but in my haste I went and bought 2 tanks, a small one and a large one, I'll post up a pic or two in the next hour or so :)

More
12 Jul 2014 20:51 #11 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)

More
13 Jul 2014 14:26 #12 by JohnH (John)
That's quite an amount of fry for what was, after all, a simple - but often overlooked - method of saving some of the eggs from pond fish.

Thanks for letting us see them, very interesting.

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Jul 2014 11:13 - 22 Jul 2014 11:16 #13 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Quick update(small video): They will be 2 weeks old tomorrow, They have probably doubled in size. I'm noticing some are growing a little faster than others so will keep an eye on that. Im not finding it too much of a hassle yet, I put a small filter in a water plant pot and surrounded it with a few sponges, gives a very slight current and a few tiny bubbles.
File Attachment:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2014 11:16 by dshamrock2000 (Dave).

More
22 Jul 2014 11:43 #14 by JohnH (John)
Thanks for the video update - you'll find that, with every batch of fry, you'll always get a few which outstrip the rest in growth. I would suggest that's nature's way of safeguarding at least some of them.

Good to see they're doing well.

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Sep 2014 19:09 #15 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Quick update: 3 months old now, All are growing at different rates, some almost the same as they were 2 months ago and others looking like nice fish

More
06 Sep 2014 20:39 #16 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
They look great!!!!

More
06 Sep 2014 21:53 #17 by JohnH (John)
I hope you have a large pond - by the time these are grown enough to return to it they'll be needing some space!

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds