Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

miller's thumbs and other small fish

More
16 Mar 2015 15:20 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm thinking of setting up a native Irish river tank and I was thinking of miller's thumbs or perhaps some other small fish. I've ruled out sticklebacks because I'd like a good bit of flow. Any other suggestions? And where would I get them?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2015 15:40 #2 by JohnH (John)
Moved to 'Coldwater Fish' as 'Introduce Yourself isn't altogether the most appropriate section... :) :) :) :crazy: :)
- as far as I remember, when I attempted to keep these in my youth (more than a couple of years ago) they were extremely aggressive and I bended up with just the one, it having harried and killed the others.
I caught mine in a clear stream with medium-sized rocks in.
The trick - as I remember - was to position my net just downstream of the rock and when it (the rock) was lifted up anything lurking under would naturally be taken by the current and into the net. I also caught stone loaches and small crayfish by the same method.
I think your tank size would have great bearing on the amount of species you might keep - a couple of other 'targets' might be minnows and gudgeon - both of which relish a good flow of water.
The male minnow - not unlike the male stickleback - takes on a pretty bright red hue around the head area during the breeding season and would be far more 'visible' in your tank than the Bullheads (Miller's Thumbs) or the loaches, both of which are more nocturnal than diurnal.
An interesting project - I wish you well in your quest - catching them is more than half the fun with wild species.
An illustrated account would be nice.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Mar 2015 17:07 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Sorry about that. My phone seems to arbitrarily either put my post in the category I selected or dump it in the Introduce Yourself section.
I'll be getting two second hand tanks soon enough, one about 80L and the other much bigger, by the description I was given. I'll decide which I'll set up as a river tank when I get to see them both. Doing the hillstream setup recently gave me a taste for high flow systems and I think a native one might be a bit of a revelation too. If I do it I'll definitely post a thread on it.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Mar 2015 08:52 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Would be a good project to do a thread on alright.All to often we forget our own native species can be just as interesting particularly when we rarely see them shown in an aquarium setting.
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds