Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What fish should I put in my first tank?

More
08 Jul 2015 15:44 #1 by Fishfriend (Nicole Ledden)
Hi! About 3 days ago I got my first tank, (54Litres) I've begun the cycling the tank and now I'm wondering if I could put any fish other then goldfish in it when the cycle is over? (It's coldwater/freshwater)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2015 16:23 - 14 Jul 2015 11:21 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Welcome,

You can put weather loach but they grow to a bout 6 ins, White Cloud mountain Minnows, shiners, Notropis chrosomus
If its room temp, some of the barbs , zebra danio etc, .

Google fish suitable for cold water aquarium.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 11:21 by Homer (Kevin).

More
08 Jul 2015 17:22 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
White Cloud Mountain minnows would be nice. I would avoid goldfish unless you are planning to upgrade later.

More
09 Jul 2015 08:46 #4 by Fishfriend (Nicole Ledden)

More
10 Jul 2015 10:37 #5 by Fishfriend (Nicole Ledden)
Actually I have one more question, Do I change the water while it's cycling? Because I've noticed bubbles are sticking to the glass on the surface and more bubbles are floating on the water, the water also smells a bit. I didn't wash the tank with soap or anything....
I have no idea if this is normal or not or if I should do water changes while it's cycling!!
PLEASE HELP!!

More
10 Jul 2015 12:35 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

Yes you should do water changes during cycle.

What are you using for an ammonia source for the cycle?

More
10 Jul 2015 12:53 #7 by Fishfriend (Nicole Ledden)
I put in 'SafeStart' which adds bacteria into the waters and AquaSafe which gets rid of the chlorine and Chloramine. Should I be putting something else into the water? Also how often should I be doing the water change? (I'm doing a fishless cycle)
Thanks!!
I put pictures of the bubbles, it seems to sizzle when they pop?
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2015 13:52 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
the safe start wont cycle the tank for u u should look up some articles on fishless cycle or try some organic aqua for the first month with ur fish in the tank and then slowly let the filter take over

More
10 Jul 2015 18:59 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
You could look here

www.irishfishkeepers.com/articles/29-basics

At the setting up your first tank article.

Essentially the safe start should get the bacteria colony started but any bacteria will die off without a food source. You can either feed the tank some fish food with will decompose and produce ammonia or drop a frozen prawn in, this works well to provide ammonia to feed the bacteria you need to consume fish waste when you get to that stage.

You need the ammonia to rise and then reduce as the bacteria colony grows.

Then nitrite should rise and fall and then happy shopping.

Or organic Aqua as stated above would allow you to get fish in immediately.

More
13 Jul 2015 11:45 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
If I was starting a new cold water tank I'd use dwarf snake heads, 3 max. They do well in cold water and grow into gorgeous fish. Also organic aqua will allow you to stock straight away.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds