Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

When is it too late to add goldfish to a pond?ll

More
09 Oct 2015 15:28 #1 by JennyF (Jenny F)
Hey just a general question.
My OHs nephew has a goldfish .... This fish is around 8 inches long, in a very small tank (has a filter I insisted on it when I saw what the fish was in originally). My question is when is it too late to try to get this goldfish into a pond? I'd love to move her into somewhere really big!

As the nephew is very attached to the fish, it would be appreciated if we say you rescue fish and give him a fish that we will 'adopt'. Of course I will buy and supply the 'adoptee'. I'm thinking some platys!
The nephew is 8 and loves to rescue animals so my thinking is if he gets to 'adopt' a rescue fish that's much smaller than the goldfish he will feel very good with himself to let the goldfish go to a better Home.

The goldfish is called Optimus prime. I can get pics if need be. But it's a very big goldfish!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2015 14:15 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
What way is the fish kept at the min?
Heated tank or not
I would be skeptical about trying to move him/her to a pond at the moment to be honest but if you had no other choice it could be done very very slowly dropping the temp of the tank to try match the temp outside

I would say realistically tho between March and September is the best time to move a fish out into a pond

More
10 Oct 2015 18:05 - 10 Oct 2015 18:07 #3 by JennyF (Jenny F)
This fish is not kept in good conditions at all. I think she's probably in around 20l. Tank gets filthy every day and luckily with enough nagging I managed to get a filter into there and a daily 10% water change. But in reality it's a horrible condition that she's in. I might see can I get her out and keep her temporarily in a 120l tub I have with a filter until next spring ... I just wanted to check as I have people offering me space but I wasn't too sure if it was too late

She is not my fish, she's kept in my boyfriends parents house.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2015 18:07 by JennyF (Jenny F).

More
03 Dec 2015 20:57 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Hi my koi pond was 9degrees this morning ,goldfish are pretty hardy ,I have in the past introduced fish into the pond at this temp mainly because you can get great bargains at end of season . I would normally put them in as big a bag as possible and float the bag in the pond for an hour or more ,slowly introduce a bit of pond water before releasing the fish . Much the same way as you introduce tropical fish into the tank except floating for a longer period .Goog luck

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds