Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

toxic rainwater

More
09 Jan 2016 14:34 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Just went out to my pond to check all is well and noticed 3 of my prize large koi have like ulcers on the body and like fin rot on their tails have had all of these fish a number of years and never seen this before . Checked water ammo ia nil, nitrite nil and nitrate 5 ppm . Ph is 7 , temperature at present 7.2 c . Have done a 25% water Change added some prime water conditioner and removed each affected fish and treated wounds . Pond is too cold to treat and no tissue growth at this temp either . Was wondering seeing the amount of rain we have had and the fact that I live in tallaght a quite industrial area is the rain toxic . Your views and help would be great . Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2016 22:25 - 09 Jan 2016 22:27 #2 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic toxic rainwater
Had the same happen to some of my fish in spring this year,i lost two adult goldfish and some of my sarrasa comets with longer tails that were only affected had tail rot only,no other fin rot.Had done a few water changes previousy in the summer and when I noticed the conditions of the remaining fish in the spring I think it was melafix I treated them with,a large female goldy I still have developed a tumour looking growth on her body but is okay now to date.
I,m just 5 minutes walk from dubcc so a rise in air bourne pollution from vehicals wise may be a factor plus as you say air bourne pollution from factorys near you could certainly be a problem..
Last edit: 09 Jan 2016 22:27 by nomad (pat murphy).

More
10 Jan 2016 20:58 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Do you run carbon in your filter ? I don't have a pond but when I use rain water from my water butt I filter it through carbon 1st just to be sure. I live in a small village away from larger cities but I still wouldn't trust what's in the air

Eric

More
10 Jan 2016 21:07 #4 by robert (robert carter)
hi Eric ,thanks for your reply ,no I don't run carbon in the koi filter ,the filter is three bay 1st and 2nd bays are coarse sponges ,3rd bay is fine sponges and bio home ultra , the only sponges that are cleaned are in the first bay . where I live is not to far from a large industrial area .

More
10 Jan 2016 21:13 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
It might be an idea maybe to put some carbon in the filter for a few days to a week to clear out any toxins that might be in the pond. Although not if you're going to use meds in the pond.
Maybe someone with more experience than me regarding ponds will give you better advice

Eric

More
10 Jan 2016 21:21 #6 by robert (robert carter)
thanks Eric ,I have 30 yrs of keeping koi but don't confess to know it all , as my dad, RIP. use to say the man that knows it all is a fool ,so true. This is the great thing with a forum like this learning by other peoples experience. presently running a five day coarse of meds so hopefully this will help ,

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds