Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Trying something new with wild minnows

More
09 May 2016 13:12 #1 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Hey guys some of you may remember me from 4 years ago. I had the 180 litre tropical tank.

Anyway I emmigrated and parked the hobby for a while. The reason I havent kept fish since is due to various moving around and not having someone to mind then. So whilst fishing on the tolka river the other day I saw thousands of minnows and it got me thinking

1. Is it possible to keep these fish in my 35 litre.
2. What are their requirements

The reason I have chosen wild minnows is for one brilliant reason. If I need to pause the hobby I can release them back into the wild around the corner from my house.

Has anyone any experience in this? Is it a viable plan. I want to continue the hobbie in the least restricted way possible.

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2016 13:36 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi Gilly , I am big into the cold water scene ,I have tried various natural varierties of fish with little success over the years except for tench which worked out ok . the thing I found with gudgeon, barbel and minnows is trying to get enough water movement and oxygen into the water . all these species are normally found in shallow very fast moving water especially when young ,which is the same problem I came across with trout and salmon parr., but maybe you will be more successful

More
09 May 2016 13:42 #3 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Hey robert I was thinking the exact same. Surely a larger filtration system with the outlet above water would at least mimic the oxygenation and waterflow of a river? Its going to be a project of mine.

Do these fish get a dependency if fed from a keeper...how could I mimic their natural feeding habits so if one day I release them they can still be self dependant in a river.

This will be a wild minnow tank no other fish will be in it

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
09 May 2016 13:53 #4 by robert (robert carter)
the thing with a filter return that is above water level is that its noisey , something my other half isn't happy about as my tanks are in house , as for feeding its a very valid point that I cant answer .its 10 years or more since a tried any native fish . I do still have two tench that are now in my pond but seem to grow at a vey slow rate only now about 8 inches long , they do surface and eat koi food

More
09 May 2016 14:34 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
A fan of cold water species myself too. My suggestion would be a hillstream manifold; very cheap and easy to build. In fact I have one I'm not using and you could just cut it to length if you wanted. Google them, there are plenty of examples online.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 May 2016 15:46 #6 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
If only I saw this sooner. Im after purchasing a fluval u3 canister filter there... its 600l and hour turn over which is massive for a 35 litre tank. Instead of using treated tap water im gna do water changes with river water I can easily collect every week... something their used to. I want to make their diet as natural as possible so if their released into the wild theres no dependency on me for food...any ideas ?

More
09 May 2016 16:04 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
600lph is spot on. As for food, you could start a few cultures I suppose; white worms, daphnia etc.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 May 2016 16:27 #8 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Is there any law about taking out fry from a river and relocating them? I see many people do it for salt water native marine tanks, but is that different for fresh water sourcing?
If Irish fisheries stock anywhere near, they won't be that happy you taking fry form the river.
Or is it the same as taking pebbles from the beach, everyone does it, and people just turn a blind eye?
Sometime forgiveness is easier than permission!! So good luck I say.

More
09 May 2016 16:41 - 09 May 2016 16:45 #9 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
The tolka trout anglers association whom im a licenced member of stock the river of fully grown farm trout that are fished. I believe river minnows are not a protected species in ireland judging from the irish fishery boards website. .ive seen people using nets to catch hundreds of these minnowsand use them as bait. So taking a few out for a fish tank im sure will be the least of their worries considering illegal fishing of trout salmon and pike is rampant in dublin. I suppose its all in the good nature of the hobbie and not an unnecessary slaughter

Last edit: 09 May 2016 16:45 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan).

More
09 May 2016 18:00 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Keep us updated with this. I'd love to know how you get on.

More
09 May 2016 18:14 #11 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
I will dude. Just filled the tank today so itll cycle until early june then ill get cracking on sourcing the minnows

More
09 May 2016 20:58 #12 by ger310 (Ger .)
Really interesting project dude,all the best with it......looking forward to the updates.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
15 May 2016 07:37 #13 by paulv (paul vickers)
I was in my local park yesterday and saw lots of minnows in the stream there. Thinking of doing a cold water tank same as you're planning. Il have a 54l empty soon. I'll be watching you posts with interest.

More
15 May 2016 07:47 - 15 May 2016 07:47 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Great project....looking forward to how it turns out.

Gavin
Last edit: 15 May 2016 07:47 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
15 May 2016 08:41 #15 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
I have had the 35 litre cycling now for a week but the lighting system on it was blown. I have a 110 litre bought and on the way but ill use that for tropical I reckon.

Im in two minds as to wether to get a new lighting system on that 35 litre and continue ahead as planned some issues that im trying to overcome is

Keeping a cold water tank cool enough for a fish that has just come out of a fast moving stream...

Having the water chemistry the same as a semi polluted river which is where they thrive.

What there going to feed on...

Its safe to say everyone is in this forum here for their love of fish and want for their well being and for them to thrive... in saying that I will only take them from the wild to introduce them to captivity if I am 100% sure I can mimic their natural environment and not cause stress and death to the fish.

I will keep you all posted with the process

More
15 May 2016 13:33 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
As far as I know, minnows are actually an indication of good water quality.
Keeping the tank cool will, I think, be down to placement more than anything else ie whatever temperature the room is, you're not going to do much better than that. Chillers are brutally expensive. DIY ones can be made but don't expect a big drop. It might only be possible to drop the tank temp a few degrees to take it out of the danger zone. The size of the tank will make it especially hard to keep it cool. Lights (esp T5s) will add to the heat and so will the filter.
With food, I'm sure you could acclimate then to flakes but as you said, you don't want them reliant on them. The only other option would be cultures; mosquito larvae in the summer, white worms, daphnia, fruit flies etc. I think you could alternate between live food and flakes so they don't lose their hunter instinct.
Alternatively you could go for a subtropical minnow.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds