Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

socks

More
15 May 2016 14:30 #1 by robert (robert carter)
socks was created by robert (robert carter)
I have installed a 15 inch long by 4 inch diameter 150 micron sock into the sump of the new tank ,it has only been running 40 hrs and the sock is overflowing ,bearing in mind that there are no fish in the tank yet the sock was very dirty ,have just washed it out . surely once the tank is stocked this is going to need attendsion on a daily basis . If I use a slightly coarser sock say a 200 or 300 micron would this be better . one final question, I have filter floss in the last compartment of the sump but cant get it to stop floating to the top , any easy fix, apart from putting a couple of weights on it . sorry about the questions but this is the first sump I have had , and indeed the first cold water sump that Bart has built

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2016 18:15 #2 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic socks
Did ya wash the sock before using it????

More
15 May 2016 18:19 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic socks
In general I change socks every 2 or 3 days but they never get any where near overflowing.........brand new socks do have to be washed out before using them...there's some sort of stuff on them....

More
15 May 2016 18:58 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic socks
No i didnt wash it out first , presumably you just wash then out in warm water first then

More
16 May 2016 06:13 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic socks
I've stopped using socks in my sump for the exact same reason, I ended up with 3 of them on a daily rotation.
PS, 3 large filter socks for sale ;)

More
16 May 2016 07:23 #6 by robert (robert carter)
hi lads , while I got a few post on the sock quiry ,anyone any ideas how to stop the floss in the sump floating to the top other than putting weights on top of it . this compresses it a bit to much for my liking

More
16 May 2016 11:52 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic socks
I found mine floated, but what I found is that if I rolled it up and squeezed it while it was underwater the air comes out and then it stay sunken.
Other than that you could put a very course grade sponge ontop of it to hold it down.

More
16 May 2016 12:43 #8 by robert (robert carter)
thanks will give a try tomorrow night which is my maintaince night

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds