Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

koi grading

More
07 Jun 2016 09:36 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
koi grading was created by alan 64 (alan)
Ok so i was in newlands and they had some nice koi which were labled grade A now they were nice fish with nice colours, and then i see adds on donedeal with koi labled grade AAA so i presume these are ment to be better quality so can anybody explain the grading system, i use to keep koi years ago and seing them yesterday has me half tempted to sell my discus and buy some small koi to grow for a year and build a pond for them

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2016 18:43 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic koi grading
I have been keeping koi for over 30yrs now and have recently set a new cold water tank with the intendsion of getting some high grade 3 inch koi to grow which would then go into the pond. Now the problem is getting high grade small koi ,have even been up north without great success ,In fact I have already lost 5 off the 20 koi I brought . As you say AAA grade fish should be the highest grade ,but who Is telling you what grade they are?The seller, as the fish arnt stamped with a grade ,if you see what I mean .Secondly AAA grade 6/7 koi should sell at about 150/200 sterling so not really in our price range . The Sanke that won the all japan show at 63cm sold at auction for 600000 dollars it was a grade AAA . Reguarding Newlands Gavin is very up front about his koi they are English koi breed from Japanese parents and medically certified which is a requirement when coming into Ireland from the uk . My advise is that you buy fish that appeal to you colour wise ,bearing in mind that they very often change colour as they mature ,that's half the fun trying to guess their final colouring . finally to me koi are the king of all fish ,certainly not the easiest to keep .

More
08 Jun 2016 08:59 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic koi grading
Thanks robert what is the hardest thing u find about keeping them, when i had mine a always thought they were pretty hardy fish

More
08 Jun 2016 16:26 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic koi grading
they like a good mature pond /tank and the higher grade you go the less hardy they are

More
08 Jun 2016 23:15 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I had koi fish right from day one of fish keeping I only sold them after I lost one of my more expensive ones most people that know me knows I had a hard time with my young lad and one day I got home he told me I didn't need to feed the fish because he gave them rice my advice only feed them good koi food and if they are indoor get a 6ft tank or one of them 1000L tubs the koi that passed away was a Platinum Ogon white ghost koi

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds