Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sturgeons for ponds

More
04 Jul 2016 19:10 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi all,i visited a pet store today and in two of there coldwater tanks they had two Sturgeons.........one was a Siberian Sturgeon (Acipenser baerii) which was about 15-17cm in size and looked really good and was very active,but the other one,a Diamond back Sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii) which was of similar size and as active as the other one,but this fish was absolutely stunning in appearance.......it's colour and shape and beautiful white markings around it's fins just blew me away :)

My question is are they suitable for a pond of 3000L? .......I've done the googling on these and all the recommendations from the "serious" sites say it would be too small but has anybody kept these in a similar sized pond even short term?......This fish is right up my street so I would really love to keep one (the Diamond back in particular) for even just a year or two.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2016 19:24 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , i have a diamond back in my pond for the last 4 years hes probably about 24 inch long , pond is only about 1000 gals, he very active and cruising around all the time , they prefer cooler water so if you get one make sure you feed him during the winter with some sinking sturgoen pellets. Great fish

More
04 Jul 2016 19:37 - 04 Jul 2016 19:40 #3 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Sturgeons for ponds

Hi Ger , i have a diamond back in my pond for the last 4 years hes probably about 24 inch long , pond is only about 1000 gals, he very active and cruising around all the time , they prefer cooler water so if you get one make sure you feed him during the winter with some sinking sturgoen pellets. Great fish

That's good to here.......the guy I was talking to in the pet shop was surprisingly fairly knowledgeable on these especially as he wasn't the main "fish" guy there and filled me in on lots to do with diet,temperature etc.......I was well impressed considering it's one of them pet shop chain stores!!

Ger

EDIT:... a video of that 2 foot Diamond back would be good dude?

Last edit: 04 Jul 2016 19:40 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
04 Jul 2016 21:19 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Ger , cant post pictures let alone vids ,

More
04 Jul 2016 21:30 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

Nah video's are easy to post,even I can manage them..........if yeh have a smart phone its very straight forward

More
05 Jul 2016 09:38 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Get your camera out Robert, we would all love to see the sturgoen. If ever I have a pond I'll keep them. Stunning fish. Newlands garden centre have them.

More
05 Jul 2016 10:02 #7 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Sturgeons for ponds
I seem to remember reading somewhere that, like Sharks, their gills are formulated in such a way as to need the fish to be moving at all times. The gill covers aren't 'mechanical' like on 'conventional' fish, which can stay still and the gill covers move oxygenated water over the gills by the covers opening and closing. Sturgeons need lots of swimming space for this reason.
I kept one for a while in a much smaller pond than yours Ger but, it grew somewhat, and unfortunately jumped out (probably because my pond was so small).
I don't think one (or two) in your pond would suffer the same fate - it being larger, with the overlapping capping discouraging jumping out. Mine would buzz along the pond's side day and night and I had nothing overlapping the edges.
My suggestion would be to get one (or even two) they're great fish for a decent sized pond (unlike mine was).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jul 2016 12:15 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Sturgeons for ponds

Robert,
The offer I made is an open one - just send me any pictures (as attachments) to the
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
address - just mentioning that they aren't for a competition round - and I'll add them for you until you get the hang of it.
You won't even have to reduce the file size, I can do that for you.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jul 2016 12:16 #9 by arabu1973 (. .)
Replied by arabu1973 (. .) on topic Sturgeons for ponds
Hi ger, looks like I missed you visiting the shop, I'm just back from holidays but if you drop in on any Monday Wednesday or Friday I'm there. Just introduce yourself

More
05 Jul 2016 15:16 #10 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I think feeding is the main concern with Sturgeon along with well oxygenated water.

Apparently they'll get to a point where they bend in half and once they hit that point of starvation that's it......also if they stop feeding it's hard to get them to start again.

More
05 Jul 2016 16:29 #11 by robert (robert carter)
mine comes up and takes the koi pellets no problem . what people forget is that when the temp falls they stop feeding the fish , however sturgeons are a cold water fish and in fact prefer the water temp of our winter so you must continue to feed them ,I use a high protein sinking sturgeon pellets and feed every day . a great fish the grandkids think it scary as its shark like

More
05 Jul 2016 17:07 #12 by ger310 (Ger .)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that, like Sharks, their gills are formulated in such a way as to need the fish to be moving at all times. The gill covers aren't 'mechanical' like on 'conventional' fish, which can stay still and the gill covers move oxygenated water over the gills by the covers opening and closing. Sturgeons need lots of swimming space for this reason.
I kept one for a while in a much smaller pond than yours Ger but, it grew somewhat, and unfortunately jumped out (probably because my pond was so small).
I don't think one (or two) in your pond would suffer the same fate - it being larger, with the overlapping capping discouraging jumping out. Mine would buzz along the pond's side day and night and I had nothing overlapping the edges.
My suggestion would be to get one (or even two) they're great fish for a decent sized pond (unlike mine was).

John

That's really interesting about there gills John,i didn't read that when I was googling yesterday so i'll have to investigate further.

i'm defo going to buy one,but maybe two,we will see next week,cheers

More
05 Jul 2016 17:10 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi ger, looks like I missed you visiting the shop, I'm just back from holidays but if you drop in on any Monday Wednesday or Friday I'm there. Just introduce yourself

Hi Adrian,i did ask for you when I dropped in but I was told as you said that you were on holidays.............I'll pop back in probably Monday and i'll have a chat with you then ok,cheers

More
05 Jul 2016 17:11 #14 by robert (robert carter)
John is right about this they must constantly move in order to breeth

More
05 Jul 2016 17:16 #15 by ger310 (Ger .)

I think feeding is the main concern with Sturgeon along with well oxygenated water.

Apparently they'll get to a point where they bend in half and once they hit that point of starvation that's it......also if they stop feeding it's hard to get them to start again.

yeh I was reading that yesterday........i'd say there would have to be a fair bit of neglect for them to get to that state..........i'll be treating this pond like I have always treated my tropical tanks.......feeding daily with proper food,and clean oxygenated water.......hopefully there will be no issues!! cheers

More
05 Jul 2016 17:19 #16 by ger310 (Ger .)

mine comes up and takes the koi pellets no problem . what people forget is that when the temp falls they stop feeding the fish , however sturgeons are a cold water fish and in fact prefer the water temp of our winter so you must continue to feed them ,I use a high protein sinking sturgeon pellets and feed every day . a great fish the grandkids think it scary as its shark like

Yeh I was reading that also about feeding them all year around and the temperature there happiest in..........the shop I was in yesterday said they can get me in Sturgeon pellets but is there a particular brand you would recommend? cheers

More
05 Jul 2016 19:31 #17 by robert (robert carter)
Got mine off ebay . There is a guy that regularly post adds on done deal for sturgoen . Mine came from Petco on the long mile road a couple of years ago .

More
05 Jul 2016 21:44 #18 by ger310 (Ger .)

Got mine off ebay . There is a guy that regularly post adds on done deal for sturgoen . Mine came from Petco on the long mile road a couple of years ago .

Was there a brand name on them pellets Robert?....and can yeh remember who the guy is on donedeal?.....I put "Sturgeon" in the search bar but just got 2 pet shops,cheers

More
05 Jul 2016 22:21 #19 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , the pellets were unbranded sold by the kilo , almost black in colour about 3mm in size . I checked done deal tonight and he doesnt have an ad on , think he is based in tipperary

More
05 Jul 2016 22:25 #20 by robert (robert carter)
Ger , the name is Sturgeon Suppiies ltd ,based in clomel ,co tipperary . He has a website , just google the name

More
07 Jul 2016 20:11 #21 by robert (robert carter)
I took some photos of the sturgeon this evening , tomorrow my mate is comming over so intend to post these along with about 60 other photos of the four tanks and the pond

More
07 Jul 2016 20:34 #22 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Looking forward to the pics Robert!

More
07 Jul 2016 21:24 #23 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Really looking forward to seeing your tanks rob :)

More
09 Jul 2016 09:49 #24 by robert (robert carter)
Photos of tanks and pond are posted includind the sturgeon under topic pictures of tanks and ponds, just incase you hadnt seen them . Robert

More
10 Jul 2016 00:50 #25 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Robert, been looking for those pics but cant find them under the picture section! :(

More
10 Jul 2016 05:49 #26 by robert (robert carter)
They are posted in the beginners section under -photos of tanks and pond

More
10 Jul 2016 12:07 #27 by robert (robert carter)
Did you find the photos

More
10 Jul 2016 12:10 #28 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I did but I'm currently in killarney for work and I've only got the phone, looking forward to seeing them on a proper screen!

More
10 Jul 2016 12:27 #29 by nomad (pat murphy)
Nice job Robert,some cracking colours going on with the koi.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds