Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Thinking of tank for my daughter

More
12 Jul 2016 04:29 #1 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey guys,

As most of you all know i am mainly a marine fishkeeper. My misses wants to set up a small tnak for my 3 year old as she loves goldfish, the bobble eyed kind :)

Just wondering what tank size is right for about 3-4 fish and what filteration ect should i be looking at. I dont want a huge tank as we want her to be able to look after/ feed / clean the tank :)

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2016 08:04 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
With Gold fish to be honest, I'd never recommend a small tank! People are under the impression they grow to the size of the tank, this is untrue and unfortunately end up being stunted by a small tank and therefore unhealthy!
Personal recommendation would be no smaller than 200litre tank and strong filtration! Easier to do guppies, minnows, plays etc in a tropical tank tbh!

More
12 Jul 2016 11:46 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
I'd have to agree with hammie, gold fish will grow fast and eat lots. I set up a lovely tank with guppies and mixed tetras for my daughter with lots of false plants. Looks great and she enjoys feeding her fish. I've a small 60l tank with build in sump and cabinet if your interested, cheap.

More
12 Jul 2016 13:07 #4 by robert (robert carter)
have to agree with the above post , goldfish like koi are extremely messy they require big tanks with big filtration and constant maintainance, certainly a small tank with tetras etc would make a great starting point . the most important thing with new fishkeepers is that they have a good level of success otherwise they leave the hobby

More
12 Jul 2016 13:48 #5 by JohnH (John)
While I would concur with much of what has been advised I think Sukahn has made his predicament pretty clear.
If a three-year-old has made up her mind that she wants 'Bobble-Eyed Goldfish' she is not easily going to be placated by a tank of tiny fish!

Maybe a larger tank with perhaps a small stocking might actually be the only option.
The trick would be, perhaps, to buy small ones then - as they grew - exchange them for small ones again?

Just a thought if a small fish compromise turns out to be unacceptable.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
12 Jul 2016 19:22 #6 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Thanks for the replies guys. Ill have a chat with her about putting in at least a 200L. Probably won't be allowed tho lol but maybe.

More
12 Jul 2016 20:33 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Its a bit of a painful conversation that one...... trust me, Ive had it recently too.......
I was told just to give one of my snakehead tanks to the little one.......

I said NO :silly:

More
12 Jul 2016 21:20 #8 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ohh no she is the one telling me i have to set up a tank for the little one as all she wants to do is keep feeding the marine tanks lol.

More
13 Jul 2016 07:15 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
What about a pair of Bettas in a small tanK?

More
18 Jul 2016 06:38 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Rosie barbs look quite like Gold fish and are hardy. They also live happily in the lower range, temperature wise..

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
18 Jul 2016 12:18 #11 by paulv (paul vickers)

Rosie barbs look quite like Gold fish and are hardy. They also live happily in the lower range, temperature wise..

Kev.

Seahorse have long finned rosey barbs, I got some for my daughter's tank, they look great, look them up.

More
18 Jul 2016 16:25 #12 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
SH also had a load of guppies in a tank, they looked great.
That are small, colourful easy. Win win in my eyes.

More
18 Jul 2016 16:33 #13 by robert (robert carter)
What about a few coldwater shinners ,sh have them some with nice colours .

More
19 Jul 2016 02:59 #14 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Putting in this tank has been put on the back burner for a few weeks due to the fact i have to decide if im keeping my 2nd marine.

Thanks for all the input guys, will have a look around at the fish you all suggested. :)

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds