Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi guys! I need help!

More
16 Sep 2016 11:52 - 16 Sep 2016 12:52 #1 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
Hi everyone! I would like you guys to help me with some advice for a sick fish that I have in quarantine. He's got a big ulcer on one side near to his tail. I tried to treat him with Paraguard but with no results. Then I bought some Iodine tincture and Orahesive powder (I've read on some forums) and applied to his ulcer. But it looks like it keeps growing bigger. The fish in quarantine is in organic aqua.
Also, I switched to organic aqua in my 90 liters tank today because I had a huge ammonia spike due to poor filtration. Bought a more powerful filter and at the moment I'm running both of them in the tank. Surprisingly my Oranda gasps at the surface. The only thing that I didn't do right is I didn't clean the filter media under tap water because they do not mention anything about this on their leaflet.....So, what do you think I should do?
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2016 12:52 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2016 13:13 #2 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Id try adding aquarium salt and Tetra Medifin (for ponds I know) and leave him for a day or two. Make sure as best as you can that your quarantine tank is filtered with good aeration and fully cycled as best as you can. Maybe add some beneficial bacteria just in case....

More
16 Sep 2016 15:14 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Organic aqua tells you to wash filters out in tap water so you kill all your bacteria and have to continue using their product . Now dont get me wrong its a great product and i am running my 350 l coldwater tank that has a sump on organic aqua for the last 3 months but havent washed any media out in tap water , my plan is on return from holidays to ween the tank off it over a few weeks . Reguarding the fish ulcers are very hard to treat and certainly what you have done so far is good , certainly a bit of salt might help

More
16 Sep 2016 15:26 #4 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
Update:
The 2 goldfish from the big tank with Organic Aqua are feeling much better now, no more gasping :)
I will add a little bit of salt then. Thank you

More
16 Sep 2016 17:53 #5 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Gasping, have you got aeration or have the filter outlet disturbing the surface??

More
16 Sep 2016 18:07 #6 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Also you mentioned ammonia, I'd not be feeding and I'd be doing waterchanges daily as your new filter will take a while to seed

More
16 Sep 2016 18:30 #7 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
I have 2 filters running, both outlets disturbing the surface. I suppose the ammonia level has dropped since I switched to organic aqua.....as I changed 80% of the water today. They still seem a little bit stressed but I've heard with organic aqua you get false readings for ammonia so I guess there's no point in taking the test.

More
16 Sep 2016 20:46 #8 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Hey, I wont try give advice on the ulcer because I havent experienced it yet but in relation to the filters never ever rince filter media under tap water it completely washes away all the beneficial bacteria and cause your tank to become less equipped to handle ammonia.

If you can get a sponge out of ur old filter and the sponges out of the new...fill a bucket with a small amount of the tanks water and put all the sponges in and wash them all together. The aim is to mix bacteria from a cycled filter with the media of your new filter. That should speed up the colonisation. Some safe start thrown in could help it costs a fiver and is designed to speed up the cycle.

Oranda are messy fish I would leave both filters running all the time Twice as much filtration should limit ammonia spikes. A 20% water change and feed sparingly for a few days should help bring it back down enough whilst the new filter cycles.

make sure there is plenty of water agitation for aeration I sometimes keep my filter outflow right on the surface and it causes great agitation.

Best of luck

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
16 Sep 2016 21:32 #9 by nomad (pat murphy)
She actually said in her first post that she is using organic aqua and cleaned the filter media with aquarium water not knowing that they should have been rinsed out with tap water when using organic aqua.

More
16 Sep 2016 22:04 #10 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Absolutely misread. Need more coffee

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
16 Sep 2016 23:25 #11 by nomad (pat murphy)
lol : )

More
16 Sep 2016 23:34 #12 by robert (robert carter)
Just one point to add as you are using organic aqua you must have loads of oxygen in the water for it to work .Robert

More
17 Sep 2016 09:06 - 17 Sep 2016 11:20 #13 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
I have organic aqua in the tank and a lot of filtration, I'll keep both filters for now. I hope it works, even though I can see my fish making sudden movements from time to time. Unfortunately I cannot test the water with OA
Last edit: 17 Sep 2016 11:20 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu).

More
22 Sep 2016 15:54 #14 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Any updates on this, did salt and more filtration help?

More
23 Sep 2016 08:48 #15 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
I added salt but his ulcer is getting bigger. Today I swabbed him with hydrogen peroxide. I will wait few more days to see if if I'll have any results. I did everything I could! I don't know if he'll recover.....
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2016 11:03 #16 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , i have been a koi keeper for over 30 years and find ulcers one of the most diffecult things to treat , certainly lost more fish than i managed to cure . Coldwater fish are very messy and i try to keep water quality good to prevent ulcers with large water changes and big filters . My pond is only 5000 litres my filter is rated at 20000 litres so very much over filtered and i havent had a fish loss due to ulcers for a very long time

More
23 Sep 2016 11:23 #17 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I am the same as Robert to some extent, in my 240l tank I have a JBL 900 and an Eheim 2236 running in tandem and in my 2500l pond I have a Oase Filtral 5000 and a Petmate filter that I think is for around 10,000l running with a Laguna 4600 pump.
All the filters alone are enough to run the setups but it's better for water quality and adds an element of redundancy also.

I don't know if you are running carbon in your filter? If you are remove it as carbon will remove any meds you put in.....

Also try Tetra Medifin for Ponds or Myxazin and again keep up the salt, water changes and reduce feeds.

More
23 Sep 2016 14:33 #18 by Madalina83 (Madalina Puscasu)
Yes, I know that they need extra filtration. I tried few medicines, don't have money for more. For the moment i'm using Melafix and Pimafix. Let's hope for the best.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds