Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond Activity

More
19 Mar 2017 21:04 #1 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Was away for a week working in Dubai and came back to temp of 12-14 and everything is awake....even the dojo loaches! Wheat germ is going in and they are all buzzing!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2017 21:27 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Did a big clean on my pond on friday , all ready for the season now , fish are feeding well on protein food , but be careful temps are forcast to drop to 0 deg c for tuesday and wednesday night , so i wont be feeding tomorrow at all, i was hoping we were over the cold nights

More
19 Mar 2017 21:32 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Pond Activity
I personally wouldnt be feeding yet untill the lowest temperature doesnt drop below around 7 degrees day or night.Take tommorrow night theres supposed to be widespread frost and temperature down to minus 2 and pond fish cant digest at that temperatue and there will be a problem with the very low bacteria count to deal with the load that your subjecting them too.My pond fish are the same with daytime temperatures in the teens recently and are very active but theres another cold spell coming,temperature is fluctuating too much to be safe feeding them for now in my opininion .....

More
19 Mar 2017 21:59 #4 by robert (robert carter)
In 30 years of koi keeping cant ever remember a winter like this one with daily temperature flucturating like they have , certainly made it hard to know when to feed . I am just keeping a very close eye on amonia levels , so far they are zero .

More
20 Mar 2017 14:00 #5 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Hi Robert,
I too did a clean of the pond excluding a filter clean, vacuum and water change.
Having been away roasting my ass off in the desert tropics I wasn't aware there was to be another drop! Will take them off the wheatgerm for the remainder of the week!!
Will be doing water tests of all tanks and pond tonight

More
21 Mar 2017 22:05 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Very little going on in the pond today , temps fell to 7.9 overnight , while they rose to 8.6 during the day reckon they will fall again to night . Forcast for the weekend is much milder so hopefully we get above 10 deg

More
22 Mar 2017 23:51 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Pond Activity
I started the pond I think around June/july last year so everything that happens up until june/july this year is a new experience for me so just seeing the activity a week ago from the temperature jump was very pleasing I must say......all a bit static again but the months of enjoyment is real near :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
23 Mar 2017 10:09 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Ger , did you use g4 on your pond build , as their is a guy here enquiring about it

More
23 Mar 2017 12:52 #9 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Good call on the temp drop warning and feeding the other Day Robert, I looked out the window the other morning and everything was white so I didn't even look in bar to take leaves out!

More
23 Mar 2017 13:21 #10 by robert (robert carter)
The temps are forcast to rise this weekend so hopefully can get feeding

More
24 Mar 2017 15:11 - 24 Mar 2017 15:11 #11 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Will be on standby. Again, this morning even though last night was cold the water was still in and around 9
Last edit: 24 Mar 2017 15:11 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan).

More
24 Mar 2017 17:40 #12 by robert (robert carter)
Its looking good for the weekend , lots of work planned for the garden

More
26 Mar 2017 13:40 #13 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Lot of activity including algea.....blargh it's all coming back!
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2017 14:53 #14 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Algea below! First pic didn't load
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2017 20:20 #15 by robert (robert carter)
Algae , funny stuff , dont ever get a problem with this in the pond, but struggle constantly with it in all my tanks . Is it algae or blankit weed ?

More
27 Mar 2017 11:24 #16 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Ah just back on the computer and I see the pics didn't load!
It's string algea and it's clingling to plants.

More
27 Mar 2017 13:07 - 27 Mar 2017 13:08 #17 by robert (robert carter)
So its called blankit weed , guess the pond gets a lot of sun .The only thing i found that would clear it is a product called BLANC -KIT EXCEL work great just keep an eye on your filters as the weed dies it gets sucked into the filters so check to ensure they dont get blocked . Only ever found this product on ebay. Just checked ebay and it is available
Last edit: 27 Mar 2017 13:08 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
18 Apr 2017 15:45 #18 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Sorry Robert! I didn't see this reply! I don't want to use anything too extreme because I have heard using some of these products can mess with oxygen levels and kill orfe...of which I have two if.....

More
18 Apr 2017 19:37 #19 by robert (robert carter)
Blankit is a very safe product will not harm any fish . On a slightly different note having to replace the pump that runs the trickle tower , it wont restart if powered off .

More
01 May 2017 12:00 #20 by robert (robert carter)
This is a crazy year water temp are still not up above 11 deg , bearing feeding my koi , it the past have started feeding on St Patricks day , so now reckon the season is about 6 weeks behind . Is anyones pond fish feeding ?

More
01 May 2017 19:40 #21 by nomad (pat murphy)
Only feeding a few pellets the odd day as the fish come over when they see me looking for food but when i throw some pellets in they eat a few but are not ravinious yet.Also done a filter clean on the filter that i kept running throughout the winter,i threw in some bio balls bacteria to give it a boost so another reason i,m feeding little.Theres too much of a swing between day and night temps to be feeding full on IMO.

More
02 May 2017 14:12 #22 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Mine has been hitting 11-15 and I suspect judging by today that it may rocket. The inhabitants have been going mad for wheatgerm and I popped in some flake last night.....that didn't last too long.

More
02 May 2017 15:14 #23 by robert (robert carter)
What we need now is five months of good high stable temps in order to put some growth on

More
02 May 2017 22:07 #24 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Plants are coming on nicely too!
Attachments:

More
03 May 2017 07:42 #25 by robert (robert carter)
There is i guy on here from cork looking for advise on plants maybe you might be able to help

More
03 May 2017 15:22 #26 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Send me on a link as if he was willing to travel he could take some cut off's and have a mug of tea! I'm not sure of the type I have, there are a few there that seem to be idiot proof and assisting in water quality.....so much so that I'm not running UV and as of yet I don't have pea soup.

I may regret those words!!! :) Image attached of some greenery and fish eating
Attachments:

More
03 May 2017 15:22 #27 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Images won't attach, I give up!!!

More
03 May 2017 15:52 #28 by robert (robert carter)
Hi ,his forum name is m-sb .

More
03 May 2017 16:27 #29 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I've done a site search of pond, plants, pond plants, m-sb....I cannot find him! Hopefully he'll read this and fine me!!!

More
03 May 2017 17:57 - 03 May 2017 17:58 #30 by nomad (pat murphy)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/35-wanted...for-fish-pond#194106 heres the link scroll up the page to the first post.
Last edit: 03 May 2017 17:58 by nomad (pat murphy).

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds