Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Auto pond top up

More
14 Apr 2017 12:20 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Just wondering if any gardeners out there could tell could i adapt an auto watering system to top up my pond . Being a raised pond i find it looses a fair bit of water especially on a windy day, and before anyone askes it not leaking . Could i use a auto watering system to say top up for 5 minutes a day , this would be really useful when away on holidays .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2017 12:32 #2 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic Auto pond top up
I'm a bit technically challenged, but I would assume you could. It might require a ballcock and header tank sort of system. I couldn't tell you how though. Maybe there's a plumber in our midst that could advise?
Bill

More
14 Apr 2017 13:23 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Bill was hoping to get away with just an auto timer unit and pipe into the pond without a float valve system on the pond , so the system would just run for the set amount of time each day irespective on the pond water level . Just as a garden system would water the garden daily even if it had rained

More
14 Apr 2017 20:30 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Have this sorted with a timer off ebay in uk just 12.99 pounds , cheaper from china but not waiting 8 weeks

More
15 Apr 2017 22:04 #5 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Is there any failsafe? If the pond didn't lose much water is there any fear of overflow taking fish with it?

More
15 Apr 2017 22:13 - 15 Apr 2017 22:34 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Auto pond top up
Also Robert wouldnt you be putting none dechlororinated water into the pond if it was coming from a tap,just a thought,if you had a holding vat of dechlorinated oxyganated circulated water to draw from it would be a plus...
Last edit: 15 Apr 2017 22:34 by nomad (pat murphy).

More
16 Apr 2017 03:01 #7 by robert (robert carter)
Hi too answer both post , no if it did overflow its wont be a problem , bearing in mind i reckon it would only take about 2 or 3 minutes twice a day , as for water declorinator very rearly use in for the ,just maybe after a big water change then i use prime . Reckon it willtake a while to get the right setting , the timer i am getting will switch on and off twice daily and run between 1 and 60 minutes on each occassion . This is very much just an experiment may well have to enstall some type of float switch system in the future . But for 13 euro its worth a try

More
02 May 2017 14:15 #8 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Have you installed the new gizmo yet?

More
02 May 2017 15:09 - 02 May 2017 15:12 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Yes , just have it set to put water into the pond for one minute per 24 hours , so far it seems to be maintaining the water level perfectly .might have to increase it when and if temps increase
Last edit: 02 May 2017 15:12 by robert (robert carter).

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds