Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Need advice regarding indoor build.

More
02 Jun 2017 14:24 #1 by zaralowndes (Zara Lowndes)
Hi guys,

I'm about to embark on building an extension of a very large sunroom to my house not the entire glass rooms but the roofed ones as I couldn't be dealing with the fluctuation in temperature.
Since I'm starting from scratch here I am really considering building an indoor raised koi pond so I wouldn't really have to worry about the expense of heating the pond during winter.
Have spoken to a pond builder who told me he was busy and wont be taking on any more work for the foreseeable future.
I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimation on the costs to build a concrete pond and what I should be expecting. Also any suggestions for people to build it would be appreciated too.
I've only kept fancy goldfish for a few years now but am eager to give koi keeping a go.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 21:02 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , we converted the roof on our sunroom this year to a solid roof ,while it does reduce temps a bit we still got 27 deg c today out there and reckon it will fall to about 15 deg c tonight . How big were you thinking for the pond? This will be the main consideration cost wise , what filtration system do you plan to use and where would you put it , koi need a lot of filtration . What about the noise factor , my koi pond has approx15000 litres of water running through the filters and returning to the pond , this is noisy in the garden but would be a problem in a confind space . There is a guy that advertises in the koi section of done deal that builds ponds , apart from him the only other people i know are in the north

More
02 Jun 2017 21:42 #3 by zaralowndes (Zara Lowndes)
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am thinking 10,000 litres approximately. I have being looking at a profi drum and will place it beside the pond I presume. I'm not too worried about the noise of it all as i quiet enjoy the sound of the water.
My sunroom will be rather large anyway so hopefully this noise won't be too much of an issue.
I'll check out dondeal.
I am just curious at the costs to actually building a pond. Loads of information on costs in other countries but not much for Ireland unfortunately.

More
03 Jun 2017 00:41 #4 by robert (robert carter)
The profi drum is a great bit of kit , out of my price range iam afraid

More
03 Jun 2017 13:57 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Put the filtration outside and just run the pipework in and out of the pond. This would be the best idea, as it's all outside and easy to clean.
What are you going to do about evaporation and condension.
You don't want the room being so humid you can't sit in it or you have mushrooms growing in the woodwork.
How will you stop the humidity travelling into the house and making places damp?
Just questions to think about.

More
17 Jun 2017 09:32 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Ever consider an over ground swimming pool. I've looked them up, they come in all sizes and being made of rubber can be easily drilled for pipe work.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds