Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

my goldfish

More
22 Jun 2017 20:14 #1 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
can someone help me confirm my goldfish breeds, i recieved them as a gift so i didnt have a clue of what they were. i think 1 of them is a butterfly goldfish i think. i am nit sure about the white one, originally i thought it was a fantail or ryukin but now it looks more like an oranda, can someone confirm this as well. is the all red one a butterfly telescope? i dont have a clue of it, it hasnt grown much since i got it, it was originally by biggest fish but now the smallest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2017 20:15 #2 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)

More
22 Jun 2017 20:16 #3 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2017 14:23 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic my goldfish
Hi , i am only keeping fancy goldfish a few months but to me they look like orandas which come in a multitude of colours . I have found that like koi good quality fancy goldfish are very hard to get in Ireland

More
23 Jun 2017 16:20 #5 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Replied by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin) on topic my goldfish
Ye, I have found it difficult to get good fancy goldfish in Ireland. Robert I don't think all the are orandas because they lack the cap on their head, I think the white one is an oranda, these fish are over 2 years old so I am assuming that the cap isn't gonna start forming for the others.

More
23 Jun 2017 17:41 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic my goldfish
As i said i am only learning on fancy goldfish so have a lot to learn , have a look at a u tube channel called solid gold its just a young lady who keeps fancy goldfish , very informative

More
23 Jun 2017 22:20 #7 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I watch her videos quite a bit, I find it quite disappointing that she destroyed her her fish room. It's from her videos that I learnt about the breeds, hence why I think one of mine a butterfly tail, she breeds butterfly telescopes, absolutely beautiful fish they are

More
24 Jun 2017 08:36 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic my goldfish
Are these the gold fish you intend keeping in your new pond?. Interesting looking fish with great colours.

More
24 Jun 2017 08:50 #9 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I would love to put these guys in but I am sure they would die, hence not taking the risk , I might try putting their fry in, they might have a better chance. I hoping to keep more of the slim bodied goldfish and maybe grow out some koi

More
24 Jun 2017 08:54 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
Of all the fish I've kept over the years I've never kept gold fish but I thought they would do well outside in a pond.

More
24 Jun 2017 08:56 #11 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
They should but fancy goldfish aren't really able to cope freezing cold, I am just scared as I absolutely love these guys

More
24 Jun 2017 12:19 #12 by paulv (paul vickers)
Maybe you can take them in doors for the winter.

More
24 Jun 2017 21:28 #13 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
i might try it next year, summer would be nearly over by the time i am finished the pond

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds