Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Goldfish ANd.....

• georgina (georgina)
  • georgina (georgina)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2005 02:55 #1 by georgina (georgina)
Goldfish ANd..... was created by georgina (georgina)
Hey,
I've just got a friend of mine into keeping fish. I got him a coldwater tank, just a 20 litre. Im into keeping tropical and dont know that much about keeping coldwater fish. Does anyone have any advice to give me on it and can anyone tell me what kind of fish are nice to have...So far he has 3 mountain minnows, a goldfish, a pleco and a black moor. Is there any others :?:

Thanks for your help,
G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2005 04:33 #2 by goldy (goldy .)
hi does your friend like frogs by any chance. you can get golden frogs and black clawed frogs that are really lively in a tank. there are also various types of loach that are happy in these tanks. I have killis and Rhinogobius wuis in another cold tank. i thought that there was not so much to fill a cold tank but that is not the case. some tropical fish can also be kept in a cold tank so maybe get your friend to ask, most shops are helpful. hope that helps

More
10 Oct 2005 10:19 #3 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Realisticly a 20 ltr is far to small for a goldfish to live in long term, in my opinon anyway, let alone the above mentioned. Give them a good start in the hobby and get an all in one system like a reckord 60.

I would recommend keeping 10 or so minnows in it, or one perhaps two fantails.

Unless you plan to keep tropical fish, dont keep frogs and clawed frogs would attack the fantail, undoubtedly. Also, most loaches are tropical again, with the exception of Dojo loaches/weather loach.

Rhino wui are an exception in that they come from cool water streams in china, and can therefore fair evenly in coldwater or tropical.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2005 06:02 #4 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Goldfish ANd.....
Thanks for the tips guys! Rekord sixty is a bit out of our price range, but if I had the money I would get him one! Maybe when i earn my millions.... :lol:
g

More
11 Oct 2005 09:35 #5 by goldy (goldy .)
dave seems to know everything so why dont you ask him where to get an affordable rekord for your friend... :twisted:

More
11 Oct 2005 14:30 #6 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Just out of curiousity, whats the local price for a Reckord 60 in your area?

Qui Vivra Verra.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2005 02:25 #7 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Goldfish ANd.....
I dunno, know they are well over €100 (which I dont have).... How much in your shop Dave? Are you in school and where do you work?

More
12 Oct 2005 11:01 #8 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
A reckord 60 is 99.99 where I work.

Im in senior cycle in secondary school in Dublin west.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• AlishanAS (AlishanAS)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2005 12:06 #9 by AlishanAS (AlishanAS)
Replied by AlishanAS (AlishanAS) on topic Re: Goldfish ANd.....
Dave is correct in that the tank is much to small for the fish listed. A cool water 20L/5gallon tank would be sufficient for the White Clouds and a small cleaner fish such as a hillstream loach. I believe there are some species of small tetras that may be OK for a cool water system.

More
24 Nov 2005 18:07 #10 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Did you change the tank??? i saw a few Rekord 60 and 70 for sale in Buyandsell for less than a 100...

Cheers

• Vickers (Vickers)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2007 03:59 #11 by Vickers (Vickers)
Replied by Vickers (Vickers) on topic Re: Goldfish ANd.....
I got a new record 60 for 90euro not so long ago

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds