Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Lilies in a conservatory. 56k : (

More
16 Jul 2007 20:17 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
While on my brief travels in the states I visited the horticultural glasshouses in golden gate park. I managed to take a couple of what I though were ok snaps of the indoor pond that they had in one the largest conservatories. They had a wide selection of water lilies so I figured I would post them in the cold water pond section. Granted they did not keep fish in the pond as the staff classified them as “too messy” and interfered with the meticulous “fertilization” regime they employed to get the maximum out of the aquatic plants. I would have liked to bring in a couple of goldfish or Koi in a Wellington boot and poured them in. Anyways, about the water lilies! I didn’t get any of their Latin names but I think they look spectacular and just shows what can be done with a pond with a bit of time, research and money “ to pay for a massive heated Victorian conservatory”. Hope you like the pics.

Denis

These two are not lilies but were in close proximity to the pond so I thought I would add them in.

Post edited by: tanks_alot, at: 2007/07/16 21:18<br><br>Post edited by: tanks_alot, at: 2007/07/16 21:18

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2007 22:10 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Wow, beautiful shots Denis. What type of camera do you have?

Regards,

Ken.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2007 23:25 #3 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:Lilies in a conservatory. 56k : (
WOW theese are pro photos the colour is exceptional. Thanks for sharing with us :cheer:

Paul

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2007 23:39 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Lilies in a conservatory. 56k : (
WOW ... Fabulous pictures ! B)

Valerie

More
17 Jul 2007 00:14 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks for the nice comments guys

Wow, beautiful shots Denis. What type of camera do you have?

Thanks Ken, Its a Fuji FinePix S7000. Its basically a point an shoot type camera with a couple of extra bells and whistles. It is fully manual meaning that you can change all the setting and so on and so forth. The reason why these shots came out so vividly is because of the amount of available light. Greenhouses in essence are designed to maximum light, thus loads of light and sharper images.

More
17 Jul 2007 00:28 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Great quality for a point and shoot. I would have put my money on it being an SLR.

Regards,

Ken.

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2007 00:33 #7 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re:Lilies in a conservatory. 56k : (
Very, very nice pictures Tanks_alot. The last 2 pictures.

Plant 1 is a bird of paradise plant.

Plant 2 is a pitcher plant. ( insectiverous )

Great shots. The fugi range of point and shoots are as close as you can get to a Dslr without actually having one.:)

More
17 Jul 2007 00:56 #8 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Red Empress wrote:

Plant 1 is a bird of paradise plant.

Plant 2 is a pitcher plant. ( insectivorous )

Great shots. The fugi range of point and shoots are as close as you can get to a Dslr without actually having one.:)

I agree with you about the fuji \&quot;S\&quot; range. They are a great camera and it is by far the best 500 euro (a number of years ago) I have every spend on any piece of electronics.

You are spot on about the pitcher plant, there was a special carnivorous plant exhibition and it was the real reason I went. Those pictures will be for my next post but I cant actually figure out were to post them. Maybe in the social and rubbish section?

As for the paradise plant, I don't think its the normal paradise plant that we see on holidays but it might be from the same family. Its name is actually Heliconia psittacorum (Parrot Flower).

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds